"Family day" Is this a new jdub thing?

by cultswatter 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

"Family day" is not an official WTS policy/doctrine and you will not find anything in the publications nor hear anything about it from the platform.

It is one of those secret, behind the scenes ways that individual JWs use to circumvent official doctrine.

True it is not policy or doctrine; however, it is also not wrong.

*** bh chap. 16 p. 161 par. 17 Take Your Stand for True Worship ***

Some parents set aside times to give presents to their children.

The picture on p. 163 shows a family with many wrapped gifts enjoying real happiness.

bczar

• Jez
    Jez

My first marriage's anniversary was in December, so we use to really exaggerate it with presents for the kids etc. Looking back, it WAS a mini "Christmas replacement program", but I didn't think of it like that at the time. Just felt sorry for my kids that they didn't get to unwrap any presents.

Jez

• blondie
    blondie

I would think that if JWs did not think "family day" were wrong, more of them would practice it and openly.

Think of how many times you gave or were given wrapped presents except for a wedding or a baby/wedding shower. Occasionally there would be gifts at a going away/moving party.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I heard of these "Family Days" and thought they gave undue honour to "families" and neglected sacred service to Jehovah and his spiritual family. How much better it is to spend each Saturday and Sunday in field service with our loving spiritual family in the congregation!

W

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I guess when my kids were growing up, we must have been 'liberals', as JW's go. We actually had a "Special Day" for each of our kids, we would rent a conference room at a bank, etc. and have cake, party favors, music...and curiously...it would be within a few weeks of each of their birthdays. No presents, tho'.

Hmmm...wonder what that was all about ? Btw, my (now x-wife) dub wife and I even confided in each other..."We don't want them to feel...left out, do we?" "No...and it's not like it's a birthday party, just a 'special' party."

Then, since the kids didn't get any gifts on those 'special' parties, we all exchanged gifts on our wedding anniversary. We didn't want them to feel 'left out', did we?

Rabbit(celebrates anything now, class)

• minimus
    minimus

"Family Day" is "Hypocrite Day".

• xjwms
    xjwms

Yeah

My parents were all about 'lets get stuff cheap day' like December 26 when everything is on sale.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

I am (was) 3rd generation and never heard of "Family Day", though my folks started giving my sister and me presents on their Anniversary the last few years I was still at home.

• tan
    tan

My parents had their wedding anniversary in December too, so we would use that day for gift exchange. Same difference as Christmas in my opinion.

• blondie
    blondie

"Family" day is just an arbitrary date (wedding anniversary works for some) that is chosen to replace the holidays that JWs do not celebrate. Otherwise, my experience is that few JW family members exchange any gifts.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit