What kind of Ex-dub are you?

by MsMcDucket 21 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Right now, I can't figure it out. I'm still scared to say anything to offend my daughters. I don't want them to cut me off completely, so does that make me a weak ex-dub? I have my moments where I'm angry and I'll say something derogatory about the witnesses to them; but I find that I'm not trying to send them informative information about the cults roots. I keep thinking that they'll think that I'm really a big devil that's trying to prevent them from loving God.

Does this mean that I have no integrity?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Who cares "what" kind of ex-dub you are. The IMPORTANT thing is that you are out of the borg, hence, an ex-dub.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Missy - what you are trying does not mean that you don't have integrity! It means you have insight and wisdom.

Confrontation does not always work. YOU only know your family and how best to approach them. There are few things in life that fit in the black and white mentality that we were taught to believe.

Just be prepared for the frustration. I know personally because my mother who was pretty laid back as a JW when I was growing up has become more diehard. To the point that I often times get frustrated with her and take a hard line approach, only to have it back fire on me. So I am currently collecting ALL the opinions/decisions in the sexual abuse cases (both JW and non) to give her. My idea is that I will have her read the non-JW ones first .. she will be righteously indignant .. and then I will give her the JW ones. My hope is that if I lead her down the path, she will recognize some faults and will question on her own. I do not have high hopes to change anything, she is old and sickly, and I am sure she is frightened of change at her age. But I can dream, can't I.

Good luck to you, I understand completely where you are coming from.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

It really doesnt matter what kind of ex dub you are but more importantly what kind of PERSON am I today?

• TopHat
    TopHat

The Borg has it's member frimly intrenched in the belief that if you leave the Borg they will fall into the hands of Satan and die at at the hands of Jahovah at the war of armegeddon. How some of us came to our senses and saw the WTS for what it is, is beyond me!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I'm still scared to say anything to offend my daughters. I don't want them to cut me off completely, so does that make me a weak ex-dub?

It makes you an ex-dub who loves her daughters and is afraid of being totally cut off by them. Fear is not always a bad thing. It serves a valuable protective function. A wise person pays attention to what they are afraid of and what the message in the fear is trying to tell them. In your case, it may be telling you that your relationship with your daughters is more important to your well-being right now than speaking "your truth". That could change in the future, but you don't need to rush it.

What's wrong with that? Does that make you a weak ex-dub? A better question might be, where did you first learn the idea that speaking out your beliefs to all you meet regardless of whether they wanted to hear or know them or regardless of serious consequences, means that you are strong? It was JW's who put that idea into our heads in the first place. Our beliefs may have changed as ex-dubs but we still have to contend with that learned (from JW's) tendency to obnoxiously spout them off to everyone within listening range. Speaking out = strong, keeping silent = weak. That is the JW belief. In many situations, perhaps it takes more strength, courage and wisdom to keep silent. A good example might be restraining oneself from telling off the boss when he is clearly wrong. Perhaps that crappy job is the sole support of a young family. Telling the truth might feel good, and in keeping with our integrity, but many would consider it very foolish.

I have my moments where I'm angry and I'll say something derogatory about the witnesses to them; but I find that I'm not trying to send them informative information about the cults roots. I keep thinking that they'll think that I'm really a big devil that's trying to prevent them from loving God.

Again, your gut instincts are probably steering you in the right direction. What you fear will happen if you give witnesses info on their religious roots, probably is what would happen. So what would be accomplished? Most don't want that information. If they did, they could easily get it for themselves. It's not hard to find.

Does this mean that I have no integrity?

No, JW's will tell you it means that but then they are prone to extremist views. I suspect that you would be willing to share your new beliefs and your info about JW history to those who would be willing to listen with an open, unprejudiced mind. So you have the honesty, and the integrity, but they do not have the willingness to listen and you know that. What would be the point of a human rights worker taking some pamphlets on racial equality and passing them out at a white supremist meeting? Would that accomplish anything? Well, maybe if he had a death wish. Mostly it would just be plain stupid.

I have been tossing around this issue myself lately. Feeling like I'm sacrificing my personal integrity by not telling my extended family and friends how I really feel about my old religion. I have had a professional counselor, non JW relatives and friends from this forum all tell me the same thing. Don't do it. There is nothing to be gained except shunning (which in my family's case might be a bonus). My family are very active, die-hard dubs. The funny thing is, I have been totally inactive for a year and they don't know. I have been able to fade quite sucessfully for a year without telling a single lie. I realized the reason for this is because my JW family never actually asks or listens to my opinion on anything. They DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHAT I THINK! And that's when they believe I'm an active dub. They sure as hell don't want to know what I think if it is different from what they think. They never shut-up preaching long enough to ever listen to what anyone else has to say on any topic. So after a year of going back and forth on this issue, (should I tell?, should I keep quiet?) I've finally realized that there is nothing wrong with my integrity. I have told those who are close enough to me to ask what is going on with me. I'm willing to be honest with anyone who wants it. It is really my family's integrity that is in question. The integrity of their beliefs is threatened to even listen to anyone who doesn't agree with them. Not just in matters of religion either. In every aspect of life. The alternative viewpoint is threatening to their integrity.

Hope this helps.

Cog

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Mrs McD:

You're out. They know you're out and if they ever want to leave, they can lean on you.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink.

Not trying to say your daughters are horses or anything, just that, they know where the 'water' is at, if ever they get thirsty.

• esw1966
    esw1966

I am a ex-dub who FINALLY has come into a relationship with Christ instead of an organization.

I think one needs to put love first and rather than condemning their belief, just engage them in a good relationship and get them, from time to time, to think about matters in a different 'light' than they've been taught. Ask questions about interpretation of different Scriptures.

I will be trying to put that into practice when my lovely 3 daughters come to visit me from Wisconsin this Christmas Day!!! They will be spending 10 days with me and then 40 days each summer vacation! They are being raised as jw's and are 14, 12, and 9.

While I may want to get them to see things my way so badly, the only way to get them to see straight is to ask them questions, show them realities, and always give them love. Love is something they do not experience inside the walls of the hall. It is a facade, shallow, hypocritical. They will always remember your love for them! Even if they never see things as you do they will not believe the things the Society says about people who no longer follow the Society.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Right now, I can't figure it out. I'm still scared to say anything to offend my daughters. I don't want them to cut me off completely, so does that make me a weak ex-dub?

NO NOT AT ALL! How could you be weak for not wanting to hurt someone? That is just old jw thinking there.

Actually, you are doing things the right way according to Steven Hassan in his book Combatting Cult Mind Control. The best thing you can do is to not be confrontational. Let them see and feel the unconditional love and seek some professional assistance if you need it. I would definitely recommend you read that book though, as it gives wonderful advice to those who have loved ones in a cult.

I'm blunt to the point of saying more than I need to and more than I should at times. I'm going to try to tone that down without losing the aspects of my personality that I happen to like. So keep on loving your daughters and keep on showing them you love them no matter what. Your true love may be just what is needed to give them a moment of clarity.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I was the same way Ms McDucket. Hubby was a JW and it caused so many arguments. Usually with us both clamming up.

Now that he's gone I realize it just wasn't really that important to me that he believed. It was his choice. I wish I hadn't spent so many of our hours together arguing about it.

The thing was...how many times can you hear someone say you are going to die if you don't come back and his Mom (JW)even told him God would give him a new wife and he would make hubby forget me! That hurt. Then I would retaliate..big mistake. No need to prove who is wrong and who is right..I realized that too late.

Sometimes our ego's get in the way of our common sense..

Big hugs..Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit