Comments You Will Not Hear at the 12-17-06 WT Study (Sacred Gatherings)

by blondie 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

BlondieBehind closed doors the GB. has been heard listening and singing Arether Frankilin's song R - E - S - P - E - C - T.

Blueblades

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Blondie,

A few observations and comments:

Being available for the song: my family and I arrived just as the song before the puplic talk was commencing on a Sunday morn (not our usual time - visiting). We warbled. Lots and lots of coffee pre-meeting. Stupid but forgivable. You be the judge. During the next song we all filed into our respective rest rooms and came back to our seats, smiles clearly affixed to our faces. Song over, the WT conductor proceeds to glare at my family and me and read us the riot act per these current words in the WT study. Control your bladder!

Answering in your own words: some parents, years ago, sure dropped the ball on this one; their grown children are still reading the answers from the paragraph. From the heart!

Social Club: I loved the thought of meetings and learning and sharing but was always so depressed and let down afterwards. The only joy I truly derived from the meetings was when visiting with friends and family after the meeting.

God is really among you: when newcomers announce that this is the truth, upon a single visit - 'I didn't understand a single word, but I could feel the love!' - it provides fodder for tear-jerking assembly experiences. You know, on-the-spot repentance, turning around, conversion, dedication, etc.

Meetings will become a "permanent feature" in the new system: call me irreverent, but could you just kill me now?

Many thanx, Blondie, for a great review!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

correction: public talk - sorry!

CoCo

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

(I went to one congregation where chewing gum (I know of one Circuit Overseers wife who is an avid chewer of gum

• TopHat
    TopHat

Thanks Blonde, I always enjoy your thoughts on the watchtower study.

The NT makes it very clear that God does not dwell in man-made temples, houses, or buildings.

"Our fathers had the tent of witness in the wilderness, even as he who spoke to Moses directed him to make it, according to the pattern that he had seen. Our fathers in turn brought it in with Joshua when they dispossessed the nations which God thrust out before our fathers. So it was until the days of David, who found favor in the sight of God and asked leave to find a habitation for the God of Jacob. But it was Solomon who built a house for him. Yet the Most High does not dwell in houses made with hands; as the prophet says, `Heaven is my throne, and earth my footstool. What house will you build for me, says the Lord, or what is the place of my rest? Did not my hand make all these things?'" (Acts 7:44-50)

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Sounds like someone on the writing committee got a chance to air their pet peeves about the meetings. I've announcements made at assembly halls asking folks to refrain from chewing gum but this is the first time I've actually seen it in print. Now, it does drive me nuts when someone is chewing gum while trying to give a talk, but as Blondie mentioned, its pretty insulting to speak to adults in this fashion.

I'd love to see nationwide stats on meeting attendence. I know from circuit overseers that it is really down and that's a trend at least in the US (probably in all the Westernized countries). Every CO visit I can ever remember hammered meeting attendence and I'm pretty sure the WT prints articles every 18-24 months trying to guilt folks back to the meetings.

Is it me or has this past year had NOTHING BUT OT references? Seems more than usual but maybe its because I'm now really noticing it. Good points about how no where in the NT does it mention a specific number of meetings or even large assemblies like in Israel. I never realized what a hybrid Jewish religion JWs really are.

Also, if the meetings are that sacred, why do they use so many bad speakers and horrible conductors? Isn't that showing a lack of respect? In any given congregation, at least 50% of the book study conductors overseers have no teaching ability whatsoever. And, the majority of the public talks are also very poorly given.

• heathen
    heathen

I think the new testament is saying that the people are actually the temple not the buildings they dwell in. That's the first I've heard them compare the assembly system to that of the festivals in ancient times. I really don't agree that little kids should answer at the meetings or be abused during meetings for not sitting still and keeping quiet . One minute you are telling them to keep quiet the next you want them speaking up. I can see the no gum chewing during meetings because people can be very annoying with that . Then they have to pick on other churches that use loud voices to keep peoples attention , I think there is nothing scripturally wrong with that as some of the apostles were called the sons of thunder, sanctimonious I think they can apply to themselves , just listen to that stuff trashing other religions and people.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"BOISTEROUS LIKE ROCK CONCERTS"

Blondie you are so right - how many happy and truly exuberant Church services have they been to?

Since the OT is grist to their mill, what about David - murderor, adulteror, hypocrite, disowner of his own son -- The scripture says that as part of his worship he was "dancing and leaping with all his might before Jehovah"

If the WTBTS want to Judaize Christianity, why dont they have dancing worship like David, the Shaking Quakers or the dervishes?

As for the much emphasized "lack of respect" in Christendom - There is a church in my town that is now a night club - many of those who dance there go outside to smoke. Because it used to be a place of worship, and they have a natural feeling for this.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"What about the drinking of wine before coming to Christian meetings? In some lands wine is taken along with the evening repast. But would it be showing respect for Jehovah's arrangement to drink alcohol before coming to a Christian gathering?

In the time of Moses, Jehovah said that any priest drinking wine before carrying out his duties must be put to death.

True, Christians are no longer under the Jewish Law, nevertheless we should not disregard the seriousness with which God views this matter. Especially is this the case with regard to bacon on Sunday mornings. Anybody eating pig flesh was viewed as unclean under the law Covenant. Those deliberately eating it were to be "cut off" as unclean. True, we are not under the law Covenant, but is this not sobering for Christians who like to eat an eggs and bacon breakfast before Christian meetings on Sunday? In many cases they finish with coffee or tea with milk!!

Under the Law milk and meat were a forbidden combination in the same meal. Does this mean that breakfast or dinner before a Christian meeting must not include both meat and milk, nor bacon, nor wine? It is for each dedicated conscieintious christian to decide.

But if you make the decision WE say is wrong, you are F******D at Armageddy.

WT 6/6/6 p.607

HB

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

When I was a dub I was always embarrassed that they put this boring, organisational stuff in the Watchtower yet we are expected to place the issues with the public. Why the feck would the public be interested in reading this tripe that is only designed for loyal JW's? It seemed fraudulent to me, to tout the Watchtower as a magazine for the general public, yet when the householders goes away and flicks through it they see a whole lot of drivel such as this article. If I was a householder buying this Watchtower I would never buy one ever again. The boffins at Brooklyn are so clueless.

Why don't they put this crap in The Kingdom Ministry and save it for service meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit