Lets keep the "X" in X-Mas!!!

by GetBusyLiving 15 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Live and let live. I put Christ and Santa Claus in xmas. Yesterday our church celebrated the Feast of St. Nick. Was a lot of fun.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    Christ could not have been born at this time of the year, as we all should know. Why then was his birth date moved to this time of year?

I have always found it amusing that even in the Catholic Encyclopedia it says:

Inexplicable though it seems, the date of Christ's birth is not known. The gospels indicate neither the day, the month, nor the year.

So what caused Christmas to be tied to Dec. 25th? The CE continues:

Though the substitution of Christmas for the pagan festival [Saturnalia] cannot be proved with certainty, it remains the most plausible explanation for the dating of Christmas.

There ya go. From the originators of Christmas themselves.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Christ wasn't in Christmas originally; he was added later.

I suspect the same people who argue to "keep Christ in Christmas" are the same ones who claim the US was founded by Xians so we should keep our government Xian.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont know what most people do, but I know theres a lot of different people that do a lot of different things and there is an element that use Christmas in their evangalizing work. They would be the ones that would be vocal about keeping Christ in xmass.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I used to believe in Watchtower chronology. Daystar said that Jesus couldn't have been born this time of the year. Why not? Frankly, the "gospel" accounts are in disagreement as to the Year of his birth. They even disagree on the presumed length of his "ministry". That pretty much throws Watchtower chronology out the proverbial window. I say go ahead and celebrate Jesus' birthday on the 25th of December. I'm pretty sure Jesus won't mind at all!

Dave

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

If people don't want to put Christ in Christmas then just moveon . . .don't even recognize the holiday,

and leave people and their time of worship alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit