Lets keep the "X" in X-Mas!!!

by GetBusyLiving 15 Replies latest jw friends

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

How do you feel about some Christians getting all hot and bothered about "keeping Christ in Christmas"? Last time I checked most people just do the holiday because their kids get excited, they have some time off to hang out with friends and family, and getting wasted becomes socially acceptable.

GBL

• rebel8
    rebel8

How do I feel? I feel aggravated.

The X stands for Christo in Greek, or something like that.....it's not a disrespectful substitution, just an ancient abbreviation.

I don't understand why anyone would dream to dictate how others celebrate a holiday. As long as it's not hurting anyone, it's no one else's business.

People need to observe appropriate social boundaries (a.k.a., mind their own bee's wax) and stop being so anal retentive. It's just a fun day. Deal with it and have fun, I say.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

As a Christian, I choose to spend my time helping the poor and needy rather than get into endless debates over trivial matters such as this. If the so-called Christians of this world follow Jesus' example instead of getting bogged down over pointless issues like this, the world would be a much better place.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I prefer three x's in my X-mas! Rated XXX! (corny I know, but it's the best I got!)

If they want to fight to keep Jesus in Christmas, so be it, but I know that it's all about Saturn.

Kwin

• daystar
    daystar
    If they want to fight to keep Jesus in Christmas, so be it, but I know that it's all about Saturn.

LOL! Funny. What most Christians don't understand is that Christ is the interloper here in a celebration that predates Christianity by a very long time.

I say let's keep the Sun-god in the holiday regardless of whatever form he takes!

Though, I've often wondered why Christ was born at this time of year when most others of his ilk died, to be reborn during spring, when Christ, though, dies... hmm... I think Christianity has it backwards.

• Gopher
    Gopher

People can go to "Christ's mass" in a church where their savior-as-a-baby is celebrated.

However, Christmas has been secular for a long time, and has very little to do with the story in the Bible.

The main ideas of sharing family time, giving and getting presents, and eating good food have nothing to do with one particular religion calling the shots as to how it should be celebrated. It's a season that can be celebrated by anyone who chooses to, regardless of their ethnic or religious background.

• daystar
    daystar
    Though, I've often wondered why Christ was born at this time of year when most others of his ilk died

I will just answer my own stupidity here. They weren't.

Mithra was also born Dec. 25. Osiris was born on the 361st day of the year. Horus and Apollo were born on the 362nd.

The stories of all of these are so very similar. It defies coincidence. Virgin birth, hero, savior, son (sun)... Christ could not have been born at this time of the year, as we all should know. Why then was his birth date moved to this time of year?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

For a Christian it should be important to keep Christ in Christmas, but for non-Christians, it's up to them what significance they want to attach to the season.

They can claim that Christianity replaced or superimposed over ancient traditions such as Saturnalia, but I wonder how many of these hot and bothered Christians have adopted the much later 'Christian' tradition of having a tree in the house without knowing what it means.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Link that is very applicable to this topic. (Just read the first two paragraphs and then click on the video to the side)

• daystar
    daystar

Jourles... hilarious! I love Jon Stewart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit