What Would Make A Jehovah's Witness Decide To Finally "Get Out Of Her"?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

What "thing" could happen to make someone decide to leave the Organization for good???

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It depends on the mentality - no two JWs are alike - for some ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING - would make them quit. For many just as the Generation caused many to fade and quit in 1994 - I think dropping 1914 would cause about 300 -500,000 to leave. A major change on the blood issue and lawsuits would cause yet more - but no one thing can be described that would do it IMHO

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think most JWs care about chronology anymore, do you??

• blondie
    blondie

I think it is different for each person. But I think more leave because of cruel and unloving treating and the constant lying. How often does a wife have to be punched before she leaves her abusive husband?

In some cases it is better to be with the devil you know than the devil you don't know. (not my philosophy)

With abused wives, it is showing them there is a safe situation to go to and that there will be people to help them get there and stay there until they can take care of themselves. It is being with and talking to people who have been where you are and are further along in leaving and staying gone.

To paraphrase a song, "There are 50 ways to leave the WTS."

50 Ways To Leave The WTS

The problem is all inside your head
    She said to me
    The answer is easy if you
    Take it logically
    I’d like to help you in your struggle
    To be free
    There must be fifty ways
    To leave the WTS

She said it’s really not my habit
    To intrude
    Furthermore, I hope my meaning
    Won’t be lost or misconstrued
    But I’ll repeat myself
    At the risk of being crude
    There must be fifty ways
    To leave the WTS
    Fifty ways to leave the WTS

CHORUS:
    You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don’t need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don’t need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free

She said it grieves me so
    To see you in such pain
    I wish there was something I could do
    To make you smile again
    I said I appreciate that
    And would you please explain
    About the fifty ways

She said why don’t we both
    Just sleep on it tonight
    And I believe in the morning
    You’ll begin to see the light
    And then she hugged me
    And I realized she probably was right
    There must be fifty ways
    To leave the WTS
    Fifty ways to leave the WTS

CHORUS

You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don’t need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don’t need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Min,

I imagine that for some it only takes one or two "things" but for others, it may take many "things" over several years. For me, and most ex-JWs I know, it is a series of "things" that add up over time. When I read Ray Franz second book, In Search of Christian Freedom, it was perhaps the one "thing" that put me over the top, and allowed me to begin the process of leaving the JWs. I am willing to bet that if ALL JWs could read one or both of Ray Franz' books, that would be enough for a large percentage to leave.

Jim Whitney

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I doubt there is anything specific, it depends on the person.

With me, it was a lot of differrent things - the lack of love, malicious gossip behind peoples backs, and the way the elders in my view completely mishandled a situation in the cong that started me questioning. It was nothing major like the generation change or the UN/NGO scandal. I began to see the wts in a differrent light once I started researching them, and quit once I realised it wasn't the truth.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

In my case I was born into it. I was never happy about that. When they set the 1975 date. They were preparing my freedom. I reasoned if they were Gods prophet or spokesperson they would have reliable information. They would preach how detail orientated Jehovah was creating the universe the precise distance of the earth from the sun, etc. I couldnt believe a detail orientated God could misfire like Jehober did. I stewed about that from 75 to 83, then I just made up my mind and never went back. I also saw how people were dying by not taking blood, and how the society would change its mind about various things. I finally said I'm not going to let those nuts control me.

• minimus
    minimus

For many, I think they leave because of lack of love.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

LOL! Good use of a great song Blondie.

Why I quit was simply because I hate intimidation. I did my best and finally got sick and tired of that not being enough and I decided it was a better course to stand up to my destruction than to shrink back into salvation. Too much didn't make sense. On one hand, god doesn't need us, but on the other hand, the witnessing work needs my immediate attention. So, I left when I thought I was choosing death. I preferred death and piece of mind over life and spinelessness.

• sspo
    sspo

If they are directly told by GB to go find another religion because they had it all wrong.

It has to come from them otherwise the dubs will never leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit