The Dishonesty Amazes Me

by roflcopter 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

In the state I live in the vehicle has to have insurance or the owner loses the license. What happens in California?

Swalker

• lola28
    lola28

In the case of an accident even if you are not at fault ( like someone rear ends you or runs a red light) if YOU don't have insurance YOU get your license suspended sometimes for as long as a year.

Lola

• gspradling
    gspradling

Hi, I guess I am a bit confused, but I always thought the owner(brother) was responsible for insurance coverage. Just because he loaned you the truck, I would think he would still be responsible for covering the truck since he still owned it. right? Was the title still in his name?

• hubert
    hubert
    Just because he loaned you the truck, I would think he would still be responsible for covering the truck since he still owned it. right? Was the title still in his name?

Also, was the truck registered to the brother? If it was, then he would have to have insurance on it, not you. Do you have to have collision insurance (comprehensive) in California, or just liability?

Hubert

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I would think the registered owner would carry a great amount of the responsibility in this case.

Did you accept the pink slip with the fabricatedcorrected later date?

-Aude.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Anyone who defends the witchtower will also resemble the witch in his/her character.

• Purza
    Purza
    Try and find a way to fix this without the DMV finding out.

Was there a police report? If not, the only way the DMV will find out is if you or the other driver reports it. It may be worth your while to try and work it out with the woman by not getting insurance involved. Many years ago I was in an accident and did not report it (didn't know I had to at the time) and it never went on my record.

Purza

• moshe
    moshe

Roflcopter- you need to get an attorney ASAP- give him the facts- don't make yourself look good- it will be worth $1000 to save your license. In California, I believe the plate stays with the car in sale- I can see how situations can happen- Get a Lawyer or get screwed.

• pmouse
    pmouse

I don't profess to know California automobile liability statutes, but here are some interesting sites that indicate your JW friend bears some financial liability for this accident since he gave express permission for you to drive the vehicle. If the information provided below is correct, he is by law required to carry insurance on any owned, registered vehicle (assuming he didn't relinquish the title?):

http://info.insure.com/auto/liabilityorder.html

http://online.ceb.com/CalCases/C2/22C2d454.htm

As stated previously, if the damage was minimal and there is $5,000 owed to you, then I would say that you might wish to consult with an attorney and find out for sure what your and his legal obligations are. Sounds a little like extortion on his part IMHO.

P

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Hi, I guess I am a bit confused, but I always thought the owner(brother) was responsible for insurance coverage.

Ever rented a car? YOU are responsible for what happens to it which is why you are asked for proof of insurance and are asked to leave a CC deposit.

To nake a long story short, the guy borrowed a car, wrecked it and is now whining about having to make restitution to both the person he borrowed it from AND to the person he hit.

YES the owner is required to have insurance, but that insurance is not passed from driver to driver. What if I have a perfect record and my brother has 3 DUIs? Do you think I can pay my preferential rate and let him drive my car to avoid paying 10 times as much for insurance? That would be both illegal and immoral.

That is why each driver must have his/her own policy which covers rented/borrowed cars as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit