The Dishonesty Amazes Me

by roflcopter 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

So there was a brother that I have know for some time that bought a little truck. I wanted to buy this truck and he wanted to sell it to me, but might at the same time want to keep it since his son is almost of age. So I borrowed this truck for a while, about a month, and the brother told me he put it on his insurance and it cost him a whopping 25$ a year since he had been with his insurance company.

Well long story short a lady cut me off and I rear ended her at about 5mph... not a very hard collision... but when I call the brother (who is a MS) he says he doesnt have insurance and denies telling me he ever had it. And since I wanted to buy the truck he is going to take it out of the $5000 he owes me and backdate the pinkslip to prior to the accident!!!!

I am so infuriated... It pisses me off and amazes me that these "beacons of light" and the biggest shiesters in the world. I mean not only is he trying to screw me for him not be financial responsible with his car but hes also trying to illegally shift the blame to me by backdating a liability release on the vehicle... So needless to say I'm a bit stuck, and he's holding my money ransom too. On top of that I don't know what will happen to me for him not having his car insured! :'(

• Warlock
    Warlock

Work it out with the lady who cut you off.

Warlock

• Gill
    Gill

Yes! It comes as quite a shock when you discover the 'brothers' are amongst some of the biggest crooks going!

I hope it all works out all right for you, though!

Good luck!

• moshe
    moshe

At one time I liked to fix up cars and had 4 older cars in my driveway- all licensed and insured. I had a steady stream of brothers coming by to borrow my cars. I mean like how could I turn a brother/sister down? I don't reacall anyone using one for more than a week or so. I see I was taking a risk now, and luckily it didn't hurt me. Borrowing a vehicle for a month seems a little much to me. I think we had some misunderstandings here and a good case for Judge Judy- let us know when it is on TV. The TV show pays for the settlement and we get some entertainment.

• lola28
    lola28

Ok if you are in California this is what could happen, if this accident is over $750 it has to be reported to the DMV. If the other person calls their insurance company and files a claim you will get a notice from the DMV requesting that you provide proof of insurance for the date of the accident, if you can't do this they WILL suspend your drivers license and will put an accident on you record which will stay there for three years. Try and find a way to fix this without the DMV finding out.

Lola

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

Greeeeat, this is in California.... Guess I'll be getting my license taken away. Don't know how I'll get to work everyday now. I've since bought a car for myself and put insurance on it, but I guess too little too late. If there was a hell, I wished this guy would burn in it right now... looks like his lying is about to screw me financially in a big way for a few years.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

This is a dishonest guy. There are such people in and out of the org. It isn't really organizational it is your average jerk. JWs got them, even though they are the most honest religion on God's green earth. If they wouldn't go around claiming how morally superior they were, we likely wouldn't hold every stupid ass thing that a JW does against the organization-so to speak.

You might want to request a hearing or something and explain your side of what happened. Usually any punitive action taken by the state is something one can fight or appeal. I think you should do that. You might also wish to (since he IS a JW) speak to the others in the org. since that is biblically appropriate AFTER you have appealed to him to do the right thing and he refuses to be honorable about his own actions.

I am sorry you are going through this headache. I am confident that you can overcome it with calmness and dignity.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    So I borrowed this truck for a while, about a month, and the brother told me he put it on his insurance

I have to say the error was on your part. Never... NEVER... take possession of another persons expensive property unless you are prepared to pay for it. Also never give possession to someone else without a written contract stating responsibilities of all parties involved. If someone is not willing to sign, then maybe they are not prepared to take responsibility. Have you ever heard of a car rental place letting someone drive off with a car without a contract and a credit card?

The second mistake was not having in hand proof of insurance coverage. The DMV won't give out an auto registration without proof of insurance, so why would you accept the car without proof of insurance? Also you should never have taken possession of the vehicle without YOUR name listed as a covered driver on the proof of insurance. Insurance is not just for the vehicle, it is also for the named driver of the vehicle.

You need to think a bit further ahead than your own nose. Even in the most well meaning actions shit happens and you need to cover your ass.

Your only hope is that the crash will be ruled the fault of the other driver. In that case you will walk away free... and a bit wiser.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Elsewhere, very good advice.

YC

• lola28
    lola28

Your only hope is that the crash will be ruled the fault of the other driver. In that case you will walk away free... and a bit wiser.

Not so in the state of CA, if you don't have insurance they will take away your license, even if you are not at fault.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit