Nov. 8 Awake - Wife Beaters-Sick

by MrMoe 80 Replies latest jw friends

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Here's some sound advice for women of any religion or cult:

If your fiance, boyfriend or husband punches you, burns you with cigarettes, pulls hair out of your scalp during arguments or in any other way causes you physical pain and anguish. . . LEAVE HIS SORRY ASS. You cannot change him. You can only save yourself and your children if you have any. Don't listen to any pleas by your parents, clergy, congregation elders or best friends, to give him another chance.

Having just posted this, I know that too many women will not heed this advice.

Drahcir bin Yarrum

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

The indicators list is a quote from some person they call an authority on this subject matter. I am at work and can't recall his name - so I will post it later. They have the list posted in a dark grey box - henceforth it draws major attention.

• individual
    individual

Here's a true story from the early eighties when my parents were in the JWs. Not quite wife-beating but very closely related, these comments reminded me of this experience.

My father at the time was a mechanic and was asked by the elders to assist a local elder who was in good standing with his motor repairs. My father went to his home and was surprised to find that this elder had everything - big house, big car, everything, yet my father had been asked to help this 'poor' elder out for free. My father repaired the vehicle and then went home. Later that evening he received a phone call from the distressed children of this elder. Their father was beating them very badly and they were screaming down the phone for help, they were very distressed. My father always remembered the comment from one of the children who said - 'Is this what you call the truth? Our father is beating us.'

Understandably my father was very distressed about this himself and phoned the elders from the congregation involved. He left the matter in their hands, being a good dub himself - he understood that the matter would be taken care of appropriately by the elders. He assumed that they would phone the police or the social services. So after a few days he phoned one of the elders again, who was a friend of our family.. he asked the elder what had been done for the children. The elder said that although the children had made a complaint no action would be taken against their fellow elder as he was in good standing within the congregation and he would not be capable of doing such a bad thing. My father was disgusted by this and soon afterwards left the JWs, taking my mother with him.

I only found out about this when I told my father last year that I was leaving the org. with my family. He had kept this to himself for 20 odd years. I think he was afraid that if he told me I would think that he was just trying to steer me away from the 'truth' and that I would not listen to such apostate talk. I never knew the elder myself but I do know the elder that my father phoned up, it upsets me now that this elder took no action and after 20 odd years my father is still furious at what happened.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Individual - those poor kids. I bet they got in trouble for not being respectful and showing thier a**hole dad respect.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

OK - the risk indicators was according to a study by Richard J. Gelles at Rhode Island University.

More points from the article:

page 7 "The bible long ago foretold that during "the last days" of this system of things, many would be "abusive" with "no natural affection" and "fierce." The prevelence of spouse abuse is simply another indication that we are living in the very time period designated by this prophecy."

Well folks, I find it interesting that these wahoos must think spouse abuse is new.

***There is also and article on a husband who was a wife beater and he abused her emotionally and physically. He knocked out her teeth and so on. Well, she started studing with witnesses and after she was baptised her never hit her again. Then he got baptised later on. It shows pictures of him bringing her flowers and helping with dishes. I am really starting to feel like I need to puke.***

The article is far too long for me to type - so anybody have a scanner?

• DB
    DB

Tina, I just wanted to say how sorry I am to read about your experience with your ex-husband. Also, yes, your cry for help was obviously ignored/mishandled. May God be with you.

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

I hate to read religious material anymore. It just gets me so ticked off. Especially the WTS's literature. Everything is for the protection of the man. To keep HIS pride in tact. To keep his reputation unspoiled. IMO, organized religion is a way for men to control other ppl, esp women. Call me a femenist (sp) and I won't mind at all.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Mr. Moe likes Brian Froud (rightly so)----and I agree with him.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Drac....

Here's some sound advice for women of any religion or cult:

If your fiance, boyfriend or husband punches you, burns you with cigarettes, pulls hair out of your scalp during arguments or in any other way causes you physical pain and anguish. . . LEAVE HIS SORRY ASS. You cannot change him. You can only save yourself and your children if you have any. Don't listen to any pleas by your parents, clergy, congregation elders or best friends, to give him another chance.

Having just posted this, I know that too many women will not heed this advice. - Drahcir bin Yarrum

Bingo. Too many women (and men beaten by their wives) will be swayed to "forgive & forget" by flowers, promises, kisses, financial constraints (like food & shelter) --- until the next time. As mentioned, it's a horrific problem which cuts across race, religion, nationality, income. People beat other people, always have - probably always will (imho).

As long as the beaten are encouraged to stay (or discouraged from leaving), they will continue to die. No one's brought out the interesting statistic of women who leave - then are hunted down by their spouse and killed anyway. Since statistics are being bantered around here......I think the average number of times a woman will leave a man who beats her - before doing so permanently - is about EIGHT TIMES.

Lots of reasons to stay - and stupidity isn't one of them. Some stupid reasons - yes. But the beaten aren't stupid - that's a gross injustice to them. Are they always innocent in every way? Naaaaa. Sometimes they offer their children to save their own asses. Or dogs, whatever isn't them. But they sure as hell aren't stupid.

My mother was one of them. When dad would get one of our dogs down and beat the hell out of it with his fists (he was a boxing champion in the Navy) - I remember she just shrugged with tears in her eyes while we begged her to stop our dad, "Better the dog than us." Btw, she pretty much did that when it was our turn and not hers too.

She was horribly beaten as child by her father also. Guess it was a generation thing. And as the pattern goes, she married a beater and worse.

It's a complicated issue - or it would have been solved a long time ago.

waiting

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Took some pictures with my webcam - sorry they are sorta bad:

Here is a picture of her (the lady with the expierience of winning over her husband) going to the meetings by herself

And now here he is bringing her flowers.

ashitaka who is Brian Froud?

Sorry waiting ((((waiting)))) and tina ((((tina))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit