Nov. 8 Awake - Wife Beaters-Sick

by MrMoe 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Tina
    Tina

((((((((deddy or should I say daddy!):>
    Ack, whew lol. Thanks for not correcting my terrible grammar lol. You've been real good about that.
    Only reason I mentioned it is I had newer data. I've been working on updating a seminar I gave on domestic violence (in case I give it again yanno) Thanks for being kind to me Teach! luv ya,T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Black Man
    Black Man

JT said:

WT get away words:

PERHAPS
    MAYBE
    COULD BE
    LIKELY
    APPEARS
    SEEMLY
    POSSIBLY
    ETC

it is with these words the wt lays out the dogmas on so many issues
    so that when they need to change they can say

WE DIDN'T SAY FOR SURE OR DEFINTELY ONLY maybe

and you guys took it the rest of the way
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

JT, my man YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!! It's something how they expect unequivocal loyalty to their dogmas and policies while CLOAKING them with legalistic verbiage that leaves them unaccountable when someone calls them out on it. That aspect of the WTBS has bugged the hell outta me for as long as I can remember.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Is there cause for alarm if a woman is beaten by her husband? Well, consider this true story circa 1965:

A witness woman in Colorado complained to the then "congregation overseer" and his assistant that she was being regularly beaten by her husband. Would it be okay to leave him? The counsel provided was that she continue to live with him and by setting the proper example of field service and meeting attendance, and of course wifely recognition of his headship, win him over.

The result was that her relatives, after days of not having any contact with her, found her eviscerated body in plastic bags in her freezer. Her husband was subsequently arrested and sentenced to prison. As far as I know, he never did become an active publisher.

• blondie
    blondie

Whoever researched this article at the WTS goofed. They should have look further back in their own articles:

5/8/79 Awake pages 6-11 Battered Wives/Battered Husbands-What Is Behind It?

"What Kind of Man Beats His Wife?

Regarding home violence, certain stereotypes come to many a mind. Persons often picture a “blue-collar worker”—perhaps a truck driver, ditchdigger or garbage man—who stops off at the local bar, “tanks up” on beer and staggers home ready to fight. There are many like that, as we saw earlier in Connie’s and Gloria’s cases.

But if you think that family violence is confined mainly to such persons, you are mistaken. “Family violence,” states the column “Intelligence Report,” “cuts across race, class, and background. It is widespread and occurs as often among the upper middle class as among the lower.” (Parade, October 16, 1977, p. 18)

Wife Beating: The Silent Crisis points out:

“Those who work with battered women report victims among the wives of physicians, lawyers, college professors, and even clergymen. In Dr. Gelles’s spouse-abuse study, the families with the most violence were those with the highest incomes.”—p. 7."

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Sounds to me, that if they recommend counseling, shelter, or crisis center, the abused women might be educated about her enabling religious community. Me seems to think the is a CUUULLLLLTTTTT!!!!!

• Tina
    Tina

Hi blondie,
    I recognize the Gelles reference there! Is that the one done with Strauss/ Behind Closed Doors,I think it's called. Very famous in the field! Thanks for the references. yep the WTS article has to be the worst attempt at addressing this issue that I've ever seen. regards,Tina

Aroarer! You hit that one on the head girl! Once a counselor starts getting background after the initial psych/social intake,that's precisely what they'll find! An abusive org,that re-victimizes a victim! I always thought that was the reason why they demonized the mental health field so much in the past. hugs,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• nelly136
    nelly136

with the child molesting skeleton clawing its way slowly but surely out of the cupboard the last thing they need is battered wives talking about their problems in public too,
    nelly

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Okay. i am just too disgusted by that article for words.

All I can say is this: It's about as beneficial as any of the other sh*t they put in those rags.

I wouldn't line a birdcage with them.

Just utterly repulsive.

ugh.
    essie

• LDH
    LDH

Oh yeah, what else is new?

"If she should actually depart, let her remain unmarried or else make up with her husband."

It's the woman's job to make up with an asshole. Figures the society would be quoting this scripture and not the scripture that says a man should love his wife as he does himself. This scripture alone, is basis to leave. If your husband doesn't LOVE you enough to keep his hands off of you, LEAVE HIS ASS TODAY while you're still breathing.

Mr Moe, since I don't get the magazines anymore, please tell me if the WBTs genius 'indicators' list has a published or footnoted source or if this is just some shit they pulled out of their ass, as usual.

Crazy--first they encourage their members not to have race be an issue, then they go right ahead and say 'cultural differences' arean indicator. Bullshit. Worldly people don't read this shit, only JWs. This is more fodder for elders to use in couseling interraccial JW couples against getting married.

Lisa

ps-Nightmare you're pushing your luck.

• conflicted
    conflicted

I grew up in a house like this - I've told my story a few times on this board, so I'll not bore you with it again, but suffice it to say the elders knew all about our situation. They did nothing to help, but alot to encourage the situation to continue - it was my mother's fault, it was the fault of the 4 kids in the house, never his fault. And he didn't even study, he got to do what he wanted with the elders support, and he didn't even have to attend meetings and field service for the priveledge.

Makes me sick!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit