Do You Know What I Hated About Service?

by Legolas 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Service was never quite so bad...unless I got stuck with brother "Eden to Armagedon." (Thats what he would try to cover at every door." Other than that, it was not bad spending the morning talking with my friends, (and not about anything related to DaTroof) knocking lightly on doors hoping nobody would answer, and if they did do a 10 second "you want the mags thing." Then there were the 45 minute drives to the "second" door, and the 45 minute breaks at McDonnalds.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I hated having to FORCE my two young kids to get up so early after they worked so hard in school all week - and trudge them out to have doors shut in the precious little faces, rather than allowing them to sleep in and then watch cartoons in their pajamas all day. Like I did when I was a kid. Lilly

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Ahhhhh, Pioneering™ on Wednesdays!!!

I liked getting up very early, when it was still dark and going down to the subway station to do street work™. I would sometimes argue with a guy who claimed that he already had eternal life. Once, when I was a little impatient with him, I pointed to an oncoming bus and suggested he step in front of it so we could see just how eternal his life was. He wasn't amused, and it took 2 weeks before he stopped to talk to me again.

I'd take a break about 7:30 am in a nearby restaurant and have a nice breakfast, which was the highlight of my morning. I'd do a bit more street work after that, than off to the Kinkdom Hall™ to enjoy some wonderful fellowshit™ with the brothers™ at the field service arrangement™. I would take the arrangement™, and my Wednesday service arrangement™ was the best supported of the week. Sometimes we had turnouts of 30 publishers™ and pioneers™! I was always well prepared, and never went overtime. In 15 minutes I could cover the days text™, relevent points from the Kinkdom Ministry™, and get the sheep organized into car groups™.

Often there was an odd number of publishers™ at the arrangement™, so I was happy to work alone, because I knew the angels would be working with me! The entire day, from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm was filled with street work™, door to door™, return visits™, and bible studies™.

Oh yeah, can't forget the breaks! There were plenty of those.

That was my routine, every Wednesday for the 2 1/2 years I regular pioneered™.

What a bloody waste of time.

W

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I went out in Service with my best friends father. We happened to call on someone he knew from work and it apparently 'flustered' him. He got nervous, and said, "Hello, Hello, Hello, ahh......... Would you like to live in a New World?"

The man looked at him and finally said, "Roy, have you been drinking again?"

Outaservice

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I was always so shy and really hated bothering people in their homes. At one assembly I had met a young fellow who asked me to go in FS with him and his mother. My parents let me go since we were going with his mother. Guess I was about 15 and he was old enough to drive. Well - - - we ended up back in the car waiting for his mother to get back from a house and he started trying to feel my boobies!!! Boy, was I shocked - but was flattered he was interested so I never told on him.

• unhappy
    unhappy

I hated working on the same road that I lived when I was younger as I always met people I went to school with, it was sooooooooooo embarrassing. When I got older I hated it when I had to work with an older person, and after each door they would critique(?) me on everything I did wrong. How encouraging!

• unhappy
    unhappy

Now you've got me started........I also hated doing first call, it's just so unnatural to knock at a complete strangers house and just start talking to them about how much better your religion is then theirs. I used to use every excuse I could think to get out of it.

• mariposa
    mariposa

Oh man, I hated just about everything and tried everything I could to get out of it. I dreaded talking to people who were obviously busy with doing something else on their Sat. mornings. I went to high school in the area but was not a witness until after I graduated so I was always worried I would meeet someone I went to high school with.

Most of my time came from "informal" witnessing

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I didn't hate field service really, I just found it very hard work, especially while I was a pioneer.

The least liked part for me was first call, especially on a weekday, as we hardly ever found anyone in anyway, so there was never much of a sense of achievement at the end of it.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I hated putting on a suit over that special underwear we had to wear all the time, no wait, wrong religion.

Ok, maybe it was shaving our heads and the flowers we had to sell on street corners, no wait, wrong religion.

Ok, maybe it was the...

whole idea of peddling the death of six billion people without admitting that it meant them and their families, till they thought we were such loving people.

alt

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit