Mormons != JW. Read these genuine quotes from active and inactive members!!

by Qcmbr 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

James - I can't make you out. I never said I was a JW. I've said I'm not proselyting (anyone wish to point out where I've PM'd peopel while preaching or said people should join my faith????!!!) If James you can find a way to prove I'm proselyting I suggest you report me to the mods as I'm fairly sure that isn't allowed. If you feel threatened by an LDS poster block me and don't read my posts - it isn't difficult. If you don't like English humour then that's fine but don't pretend to speek for the world and bully me.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Whatever Q.

As I've mentioned numerous times before, I have mormons in my family and they are just as whacked out as the JWs. Its the same sh*t, different pile.

Have you wondered why 90% of the posts on this thread have arrived at the same conclusion? Because ex-JWs, perhaps more than ANY OTHER group of humans on the

planet, KNOW a cult when they see one. Ironically, the same is true for ex-mormons, and I know quite a few of them as well.

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK, Qcmbr, whatever you say about English humor - but you have to realize that practically everybody here is in a process of identification of their own code of belief after being demonstrably harmed by (and thankfully escaping from) a high control cult.

We will, therefore, willingly thrash over any other similar group that attempts mind control over it's members.

It is not a personal thing against you, Joseph Smith, BYU, or your church.

But we do see a legitimate similarity to the JW organization (no, not every little doctrine, but in basics) and don't mind saying so. If this site were the Alchoholics Anonymous we would hardly take it lightly if somebody came here and espoused the good qualities of beer as opposed to hard liquor.

I am going to look over some of your past post history because perhaps I understand you as little as you seem to do me.

Anyway, have a good day.

James

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

So Kid-A have we moved far enough away from both this thread and the original one to simply be rude and have a go? Seems like we have. I haven't seen much intelligent discussion on any of the important points bar from a few posters. It is the easiest thing in the world to point at something and play to the cheap seats by just swearing and making obnoxious comments - I hope you agree.

Does anyone wish to discuss similarities and differences without just resorting to the 'it's all cr*p' route? While I gave Lily a hard time she at least put together a list based on her experience. I think maybe LT had a good idea that deserved exploring. For all the rest of you who are presumably falling under my spell and gagging to join another faith PM me (NOTE joke - don't).

I find it amazing that a guest on this site can be made to feel so unwelcome. I thought experience would breed acceptance not intolerance. In my mind I find a perspective on life and my faith from posters here that I cannot get within my own community nor from ex-LDS boards (I'm sure they have their share of active LDS just as you attract active JWs.) While I may not make it onto anyone's favourite poster threads I hope that somewhere in my 1000 odd posts you can see a person here not an LDS missionary badge.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thanks James - seems there is always a space between the words for understanding. I appreciate the response.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

All I can say, Shakespeare said far better:

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." Or substance.

Jeff

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Personally, I'm with Jeff,

Q,

I tried to warn you to just let it go. but hey I was once a self righteous pioneer for Jehovah's Witnesses and bled my faith too, so I understand your wanting to defend your faith. I've found that the better "christian" way is to find a common ground with all people in the world, whether atheists, christians, budhist, muslims, etc. If you truly believe in Christ and understand what he was about, then you would know that he died for ALL of mankind and not just Christians. Unless of course your faith teaches like the Witnesses, that you are the ONLY ones who will be saved? Never mind, don't answer that. Glad you finally put it "to bed", nighty, night!

Wishing you peace, Lilly

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

"You'll have to get in line - so many people are impressed by my amazing preaching work here and I get a new PM every few minutes with another willing convert stunned by the clarity and power of my typing. I'm actually thinking that maybe I should just bypass the Mormons and just set it all up myself. Why on earth should they get the ten percent. I think I'll re-institute polygamy yehaw."

Ok, you got a laugh out of me! Can you revise the law so we can have two husbands?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I haven't read all the posts, but there are a couple of things I would like to address. No matter what the age, unless it is scripture or specifically given as a prophecy, LDS people do not consider every word of a member, LDS publication (not scripture), or even apostle or prophet as being the words that the Lord gave them. It is pretty much 'thus saith the lord" or the lord didn't say it, men did. Even the Journal of Discourses isn't considered to be 'official' teaching-that a Mormon must accept, or else. (I THINK on the JD). So, if Ezra Taft Benson wrote something in his 1962 book about working with Eisenhower that related to his faith or belief in the Gospel of the Church, it is not official doctrine or teaching-even though he later became the president and prophet of the church. If this was already addressed, I am sorry.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

There are similarities between the two religions. I have heard some mention the shunning-however, I don't see that in my experience. With two LDS friends who were gay, they had parents and church members who still love them and support THEM as people, even if they dont believe that they have a good lifestyle. Or I should say, one of them still. The other ones funeral I attended, given by a bishop in the local ward building, attended by hundreds of LDS friends and others-after he died from AIDS.

I really hope you all will trust me when I say that in the most important issues we have with the WT, the LDS church is not guilty of them. I am not saying it is faultless or perfect, and I don't believe it is the 'only true church'. But as much as I have come to think that religion in general isn't nec. God's idea so much as OURS, I don't think it is any worse than any other mainstream religion, and frankly, socially and in other ways, superior to many. If their teachings do anything negative, it could be the unquestioning loyalty that many LDS feel, even when they have doubts. Doubts are much less painful to express in the church however, so even in that way, it doesn't coincide much with the WT way. I wrote more but erased it, I will spare you all my full thoughts on the subject, but i think the LDS church does what churches are supposed to be doing-in many ways. The social benefits are superior and much more loving than anything I saw in the KH or organization. I have no false illusions, I have had 25 years of association with the LDS church, which didn't end because I left the church. I also have had a lifelong association with JWs and the WT (my mom is still in, as well as many family members so I can't totally escape association). I know the difference, I know the concerns of ex-JWs, and on paper/internet you may see similarities, but in real time-they are a very different kind of group. I still wouldn't go claiming a testimony, but I can go to the LDS church without those internal barfs you all get when too close to a koolaid drinking JW :) .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit