Mormons != JW. Read these genuine quotes from active and inactive members!!

by Qcmbr 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

j-wits are not mormons, and mormons are certainly not j-wits (dr. suess! help me out!). but that's all i have to say about their *glarring differences*. thanks for laying that one to rest once and for all Q. nighty-nite, all's white...well, the important ones are, anyways.

tetra

• Kaput
    Kaput

Wow!! Sounds great, Susan! I'd sign up, but Mormons are part of Satan's wicked system!

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Of course, there are great differences between JWs and Mormons. But there are also similarities as well. I was always amazed at the historical aspect of both organizations. Joseph Smith and Charles Russell were deamers and idealists who established a religious movement. Their followers gave them god-like status believing that they were the instruments of God revealing "truth" to the world. ( Both claimed insights by means of an Egyptian connection, the golden plates and the pyramid of Khufu.)

When these men passed away, two pragmatic men took over the organizations. Brigham Young established the LDS church and increased its membership throughout the world. He caused divisions among the original group. Likewise, Joseph Rutherford maneuvered to take over the Watchtower Society. He purged the organization and tolerated no opposition to his authority.

It will be interesting to see if the Watchtower Society will follow the lead of the LDS church when it dumped some of its more bizarre teachings (such as multiple wives) through a revelation and become more acceptable to the public.

• daystar
    daystar

The most important difference I've observed is simply that Mormons allow their members to be a member of the society in which they live. In fact, it's an expectation.

What that tells me is that the dogma can be as kooky as you like as long as you're allowed to live a relatively normal social life.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"Cool analogy. You have got me sold, can I join KidA at the next Mormon baptism?"

Sorry! You already missed the boat, I had an "express" baptism last friday and this picture of me just snapped this morning, spreading the joy and bliss!!! LOL

The old lady didnt want the Book of Mormon but I DID manage to sell some encylopedias!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Sorry! You already missed the boat, I had an "express" baptism last friday

lol! cool kid-A! so now, after all these years, you finally get to go to college? ha ha ha!! oh right, only after two years of bothering people at their doors. right. ha!

tetra

• kid-A
    kid-A

"lol! cool kid-A! so now, after all these years, you finally get to go to college?"

LOL! You know it, brother Tetra! FULL SCHOLARSHIP to Brigham Young.....I'm currently working on my history dissertation: "Jesus...the last of the mohicans?"

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

"So the tracts you found are 150 odd years old. Cool. As an additional help see if you can give me something more up to date? I still know my history better than you but I'm not actually bragging - just pointing out (purely in the interests of fairness) that just because you can find disgruntled members and bigots that there is any special linkage between the LDS and the WT. We claim absolutely different things."

You wonder why people compare Mormonism and the WT and then you write things like this? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Replace what you said about the LDS with the"SOCIETY" and you ARE A JEHOVAH'S Witness AGAIN!

Using the 150 years old line???? LOL! Woooow, and the Bible is how old? And is it relevant to LDS teachings at all? I know it's kind of like the WT magazines with the Book of Mormon, The Pearl of Great Price and Doctrines and Covenants, you say it's "Based on " Or in the case of "LDS" continuing revelation, goes hand in hand with the bible, etc etc.

By the way has your wife been given her special name for you to call her by in order to secure her salvation?

It's not the doctrinal similarities at all, Mormonism is far more outrageous and see through in the sense that you don't even have to know the history to go ummmmmmm, what?

It's the socialogical tactics that are the same, because it is the SAME SALAD, DIFFERENT DRESSING.

I can't believe you said "disgruntled members" when that is nearly the party line of the WT when anything negative is said about the society.

BTW, the "cults of Christianity" teach incredibly different doctrines,,,but guess what?

They're pretty uniform in what they deny. Kind of interesting I think.

Can't you see that you are defending the LDS in EXACTLY the same way a Jehovah's Witness would defend the WatchTower? Ad Hominem?

You have been owned twice now by seriously messed up cults! Are you addicted to religiousity?

I'm worried that if you leave the LDS now you'll join the Unification Church.

Q said: "If you can point to where we say we are right BECAUSE we understand the scriptures better I can put to bed another stupid claim from that other quotee (is that a real word hehe)"

No, just restoration of the first century Christianity which was lost....same ole same ole

I think you may be evanglizing so much because you don't want to face the fact that you may be wrong AGAIN, and that a belief structure you've built up is built on sand....AGAIN.

• undercover
    undercover
    if given a choice I would much rather been raised a Mormon than JW, at least their kids can celebrate Christmas, play school sports, plan for college, and Im sure the list goes on and on.

I knew some Mormons growing up and while they had some of the same grooming issues us JW kids had (no long hair for guys, no short skirts for girls, etc) and were morally uptight like us, they did play school sports, joined after school clubs, went to and participated in the pep rallies and went to school dances and proms. And they were encouraged, not just allowed to go, but encouraged to go to college.

Later in life, I got to know some more Mormons and learned a little more about, not so much the religious beliefs, but the everyday life of a Mormon. The Mormon philosophy is pro-family and the church has programs for making sure the youth are attended to, not just in doctrinal issues, but in recreational and support issues. I was impressed at how close knit their community was compared to a JW congregational community.

The darker side of all that community life is that it indoctrinates their youth into their culture more deeply than just going to 5 meetings a week and knocking on doors on weekends. Its no wonder why JWs can't keep young ones in...they do nothing for them except guilt them into going to meetings and service. There are no programs for the youth. I'm a little surprised that the WTS hasn't figured this out and instituted some programs (all a front, of course) to "help" the youth (while at the same time praising themselves at how Jehovah loves children and is using the WTS to train them )

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

smells good - nice post - haven't a clue what your on about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit