I put my dear old dog to sleep

by Jez 25 Replies latest jw friends

• unique1
    unique1

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. I know just how you feel. I am almost crying with you just writing this. We will have to do the same with my dog of 10 years before the end of the year. I cried all day when I found out that she had inoperable cancer. The thing that breaks your heart the most is that despite the fact they are in pain and feeling poorly, they are still so loyal. Good Dog indeed. Here's a hug.

• Mystery
    Mystery

I am very sorry to hear that Jez. They are so much a part of our family, especially being with us for so long.

I am afraid i will face the same situation very soon with my 13 yr old. It was the first real Christmas present i ever had. My husband doesn't understand the double meaning when it comes to her. Most of me finally letting go of the past and her just being with us for so long. When she gets to bad i know i will finally let it be done; I won't let her suffer. But it will still hurt.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Jez, i'm so sorry. They become so precious to us don't they.My dogs 13 now and i'm dreading the day i have to say goodbye, he always knows when i'm sad or ill.I'm glad you were with your precious one right to the end and that you have many happy memories to cherish. Hugs to you debbie x

• Jez
    Jez

Unique, I kept asking myself, "What am I waiting for?" Even 1 week ago, I would have refused to put him down, but this weekend, I knew. You will know as well when it is time.

He hates the vet. He trusted me that I would go and pick him up, like I always do. He stood at the door while I was saying goodbye to him, just staring through, waiting for me to open it and go home. That was and is the hardest, I had to break a trust between us.

I am so sad. He is gone and it was the only thing I could have done.

• juni
    juni

I'm sorry Jez for your loss. I know how it feels. We've had to put to sleep 3 dogs. I now have 2 cocker spaniels.

They are each different. Their memories are forever in my heart. There are times just out of the blue that a funny memory pops into my mind. I laugh about it and at the same time get teary because I miss them so much.

Our last dog was a golden retriever who only lived 6 1/2 years. He was NEVER sick so when he got cancer it was very hard. He was so loving, obedient, and beautiful! He loved car rides and had his own special canvass bag w/his stuff in it for trips and going to the dog park.

You could leave food out and he would not touch it- even if it was literally in front of his face.

A big hug for you,

Juni

• Jez
    Jez

Mystery:

Most of me finally letting go of the past and her just being with us for so long.

That is it as well, yes. He symbolized so much of my journey through. To not have him with me, is to have my past kind of erased. I know that is not true, but I can no longer look into his eyes and be triggered to a memory of him walking beside me while I cried, or laying his head on me while I was in agony over decisions I was making.

Well, time to make new memories I guess. And dwell on the lessons learned now. One that comes right to my mind, is dont take them for granted.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

(((jez)))

• TopHat
    TopHat

Jez, I know the feeling...(((((HUGS))))

A Kipling Poem Rudyard Kipling
    I wish someone had given Jesus a dog
    As loyal and loving as mine
    To sleep by His manger and gaze in His eyes
    And adore Him for being divine.
    As our Lord grew to manhood His faithful dog
    Would have followed Him all through the day
    While He preached to the crowds and made the sick well
    And knelt in the garden to pray.
    It is sad to remember that Christ went away
    To face death alone and apart
    With no tender dog following close behind
    To comfort its Master's Heart.
    And when Jesus rose on that Easter morn
    How happy He would have been
    As His dog kissed His hands and barked its delight
    For The One who died for all men.
    Well, the Lord has a dog now, I just sent Him mine
    the old pal so dear to me
    And I smile through my tears on this first day alone
    Knowing they're in eternity. Day after day, the whole day through
    Wherever my road inclined
    Four feet said, "I am coming with you!"
    And trotted along behind.

• Backed away
    Backed away

So very sorry Jez

• Mulan
    Mulan

We had to do the same thing to our 17 year old Shepherd-Husky dog. She was a real companion, to our youngest boy from the age of 9 (he is now 27) and a faithful friend to the whole family. But it was time. She was blind and had hip displasia. The vet thought she also had a kidney disease and she had a big tumor on her back.

I feel for you. We grieve for all our faithful friends when they die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit