My Dad's funeral was yesterday

by JH 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

JH,

I don't feel much like speaking about doctrine in this context, but as you seem to be worried about it I'll give it a brief try.

Just remember Ecclesiastes is but one viewpoint in the Bible, which corresponds roughly to the doctrine of the Sadducees who did not believe in resurrection either.

Those who did believe in resurrection (e.g. the Pharisees, which Jesus and Paul explicitly side with on this topic in Luke-Acts) also believed in a blessed intermediary state for the faithful between their death and resurrection. This belief is presupposed in Luke 16; 23:43 etc. It is not incompatible with the metaphor of "rest" and "sleep" for death btw.

Even if Luke 16 is a parable, it would be an incredibly stupid one were the doctrine of consolation in "Abraham's bosom" right after death to be dismissed as "pagan".

Don't forget that the whole point of Lazarus' story in John is v. 24f:

I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?

Take care

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope you find the comfort from true friends.

Many JW's are good people, but mostly only to their active stars.
    My grandfather passed away a couple years ago.
    My mother's congregation members made a good showing at the funeral.
    Even though he was totally not a Witness, she was.

I was amazed that the biggest number of comforters that showed up
    were MY co-workers. While I did not expect it, I was not disappointed to see
    that nobody from my congregation showed up, and I was an active JW.
    It was too far for them, like half-an-hour drive.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I am sorry for your loss as well. And I am sorry there was no support from any JW's.

As a side note, I used to always think of that scripture in Eccl. as an answer to what happened to us when we died. However upon doing a study on it.....It was written as if there wasn't a God, or any hope. That is why the author keeps saying "everything under the sun"...and if you read the whole thing, you get the gist of it. Eccl.10:19...It says that "money is the answer for everything", so I don't believe that it is to be taken literally.

Having said that, I have no idea what the process is when we die...if we "sleep" for a time, and are then resurected....or if it happens "in the twinkling of an eye". But, I don't feel the need to know for sure anymore.

• Golf
    Golf

Not one JW showed up at the funeral you say. Most witnesses to me are emotional misfits and HEARTLESS your experience is living proof.

Thanks for your mail. Stay and think positive.

Golf

• delilah
    delilah

I'm sorry that no Witness "friends" came to support you, JH. That really sucks....especially since they brag about having the "Christian love thing going on". I've seen that very thing happen, many times, and that's what was really an eye-opener for me. The total lack of love and concern they display. (Not all, but many).

Well, know that you have many friends here, who do care, and who send you heartfelt sympathies. ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( JH ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

P.S. How's your mother doing? Please give her my warm regards, and condolences.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I am sorry for your loss. be strong and remember that you are among friends here. Peace.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Condolences, on your loss

Like Didier, I'm loathe to discuss doctrine on such a thread, but you obviously seem to want some answers about why your family believe the way they do. Following on from Didier I would add Rev.6:9-11:

And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

They don't sound too sleepy.

Ironically, for all the diabtribe from the WTS, many Christians believe in the resurrection of the body to a "new heavens and a new earth". They might not be able to explain their belief too well, as their focus is actually on Christ, rather than a destination. I commented on this in a recent thread, which I offer merely to address your question: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/123482/1.ashx

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

My heartfelt condolences to you at this time, JH.

My mother died in July, and I understand the confusion and uncertainty over beliefs (one's own and others') in regard to death at such a time. My 5-year old daughter and I with her during her last days here, and my daughter seemed to handle it with such trust, simplicity and grace that I foolishly thought everything was fine and would continue to be....until about a week ago when she broke down sobbing, afraid of dying, afraid I would die, afraid her dad would die, wondering why we have to die. I did everything I could to console her and help her express her thoughts and feelings. We held each other for what felt like hours. And finally what let her relax and get to sleep was my confessing, "I don't have all the answers, baby, but don't worry, we'll figure it out together, ok?" So today she pops up with, "I'm not afraid to die any more," beginning a whole new conversation.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I hope you feel lots of love from this here group of folks, all of us in various stages of making sense of it, accepting it, and coping with it.

Merry

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

So sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you will be able to find a way to think of him at peace now. And to remember the good stuff.

The Good Girl

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

(((JH)))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit