My Dad's funeral was yesterday

by JH 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

(((((((( JH ))))))))))))))))

So sorry for your loss.

When you feel up to it - I was wondering as I read your post - why do you remain JW?, since it seems your family is not. Just curious.

IN the meantime, know that you are in my prayers.

Jeff

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings JH,

I hope you feel better soon with such a loss.

Dismembered

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Again, my deepest sympathy ((((JH))))

Anything we may say about death sounds terribly empty in the face of actual death. Perhaps because what it really means to say cannot be said.

From this poem by Victor Hugo, which you probably know (http://artic.ac-besancon.fr/ecoles_25/ia/maitrlng/victorhugo_10.htm), I'll just translate the last two lines:

Man, do not fear. Nature
    Knows the great secret, and smiles.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am sorry for the loss of your father and for what he went through the last few months. I am glad he wasn't part of such a hopeless organization.

My understanding too, was that our spirit would be with the father, but our bodies remained dead until the resurrection. I don't actually know what God has in store for us after but I trust him to be decent about it! I think of it like being in the back seat when I was a kid and I just trusted that my folks were taking us where we needed to go, and that they would get us there in one piece. Childlike faith.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad JH.

May he rest in peace.

Chris

• sass_my_frass
  • z
    z

(((((((JH my)))))) deepest sympathy to you and your family

Z

• JH
    JH

It appears that the main difference between the Witnesses' and mainstream Christianity is that the Witnesses don't believe your spirit has any sustinance or conscienceness, whereas mainstream Christianity does.

Well, to be sure, we have to go back to the bible.

In Ecclesiastes 9: 5,6,10 we read:

5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun.

10 All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She´ol, the place to which you are going.

John 11: 11-14

11 He said these things, and after this he said to them: “Laz´a·rus our friend has gone to rest, but I am journeying there to awaken him from sleep.” 12 Therefore the disciples said to him: “Lord, if he has gone to rest, he will get well.” 13 Jesus had spoken, however, about his death. But they imagined he was speaking about taking rest in sleep. 14 At that time, therefore, Jesus said to them outspokenly: “Laz´a·rus has died.

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

(((((JH)))))

so sorry.

-freedomlover

• JH
    JH

Also, I wanted to add this:

Out of the 100 people who showed up at the funeral parlor, there were people of all age, people who worked with my dad years ago, family, friends, but NO JW's, not even one.

Our name is unique and there is only 1 in this city and all those who looked at the news paper could see his picture and name and my name below too, so at least a few JW's noticed this and could have came over to encourage me, but they didn't. They could have used this occasion to try to bring me back to the hall, but they didn't. Can you feel the love? I never felt the love and that's why I left !

Hebrews 10:25

but encouraging one another, and all the more so as YOU behold the day drawing near.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit