My Dad's funeral was yesterday

by JH 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• JH
    JH

Last Sunday, my dad passed away at age 76. He knew since last April that he had cancer. His funeral was yesterday afternoon. Many friends and family members attended. About 100 people were present at the funeral parlor.

Although I'm still a JW, my sister and her husband and kids are Christian. They call themselves that way. Before moving, they belonged to the Baptist church, then after they moved, they were part of another branch of that church, with simiilar beliefs, always puting Christ first, not Jehovah. They are just about as active in their religion as the JW's are.

So, at the funeral, my sister's husband and also his brother gave a talk, describing my father, the man he was and how he changed and started reading the bible in the last years of his life. Although my parents are Catholic, they were happy to read the bible and also read books from the Baptist religion. My dad never accepted my JW teachings and never wanted to read my JW books and magazines, nor did my mother or sister. They were outraged that as JW's we didn't pray to Jesus or adore him. They also knew something was wrong with the JW religion and didn't want famiily memebers to be torn apart, so they never even considered joining.

So, I attended the funeral and listened to them talk about my dad and their belief and listened to their prayer to the lord, was it to Jesus or his father I don' t know.

They also talked about the resurrection to come and that my dad would live again. They were saying that he was with God right now, but that he was awaiting the resurrection, so that seemed contradictory. Why wait for the resurrection when they say that he is alive with God in heaven?

Since my dad passed away, I read the bible to see what condition the dead are in and what their hope is and it seems to me that the dead are very dead, just sleeping and waiting for Christ to bring them back to life, not now but later. No matter what verse I showed them, they still come out with another verse showing that he is alive with God.

I remember reading a verse saying that when a person dies, his sprit comes out of his body, not saying where it goes, but if I remember well, the JW's say that it goes back to God.

So, I'm surrounded by family members with other religious beliefs, making it simple and easy. Just believe in Jesus and you're saved.

What a contrast from the JW's...

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

(((JH)))

I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. Mine died several months ago. We're all here for you!!

shelley

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Hey JH.

Thinking of you and what you are going through, the different phases and stages when someone close to us dies. ((((hugs)))))

purps

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The only comfort that we can take for a certainty is that our loved one isn't suffering from the pain their body was in due to the illness they were under. That in itself is a mercy to be remembered. Any mumbo jumbo about showing up later or in heaven is an unknown and only as good a comfort as you make it. Make it real to you = comfort. No matter what we believe, in heaven, in paradise with 72 virgins, reborn as a camel, asleep awaiting the ressurection.... all the same, its what you focus on and accept. The reality is, no more pain for now. The rest will be sorted out later. Its way out of our control. Rejoice in the memories of your father, celebrate his life as you accept his death.

As a limb is missed when amputated you will miss your father. In time you will accept the fact of it, your mind does that for you. Your heart on the other hand will refuse to accept it.

I know this from experience.

Mourn and heal.

I'm sorry for your troubles.

W.Once

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

JH - I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I too lost a person very close to me and the sadness that is experienced is one that cannot be described with mere words. May your sadness lessen, to be filled with happy memories of the one you lost. Peace L_G

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

((((JH))))

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

take care

Trev

• Mary
    Mary
    JH said: They also talked about the resurrection to come and that my dad would live again. They were saying that he was with God right now, but that he was awaiting the resurrection, so that seemed contradictory. Why wait for the resurrection when they say that he is alive with God in heaven? Since my dad passed away, I read the bible to see what condition the dead are in and what their hope is and it seems to me that the dead are very dead, just sleeping and waiting for Christ to bring them back to life, not now but later. No matter what verse I showed them, they still come out with another verse showing that he is alive with God.

JH, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to see our parents pass away, as we never thought we'd have to. I read your posting and interestingly enough, I was on the same subject this morning. I went to church with a co-worker and his family and he introduced me to the pastor afterwards and we got on the subject of the resurrection. I asked him about Jesus and the Evildoer that died and Jesus' promise to him that he would be in Paradise with him that day. He told me that their belief is: when you die, yes, your body "goes back to the ground" but that your soul or spirit "returns to the true God", either in Paradise or Heaven. When Jesus returns, then those who have died "come with him" and that's when their bodies are "raised from the dead" and reunited with their spirit. It appears that the main difference between the Witnesses' and mainstream Christianity is that the Witnesses don't believe your spirit has any sustinance or conscienceness, whereas mainstream Christianity does.

To me, this makes far more sense as there are numerous scriptures both in the Old Testament and New Testament that shows our spirit does go on to be with God when we die.

Regardless, I believe that we will be reunited with our loved ones again one day. I hope you can take comfort in that.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

(((( JH )))) I'm so very sorry for the loss of your dad. I'm glad it was a non-JW affair.

• mouthy
    mouthy

My deepest Sympathy...... It is always hard to lose a loved one. My belief is His SOUl is now with Jesus....No pain no suffering. I believe he IS waiting for the resurrection of all HIS!! ( Your Dads) that he left behind YOUR included in that...It is confusing when we leave the WT but thank GOD he was NOT under mind control ---My Opinion is HE KNEW THE REAL TRUTH!!!!! That is what saved him...He now has Eternal life. Jesus is the only WAY! TRUTH! LIFE!!!!

Hope you have many good memories((((((((HUGS))))

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

JH ---

I'm very sorry for your loss. You have my deep sympathy.

Marjorie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit