They rang our bell!!

by dedpoet 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Despite the fact that 2 da'd people live here, we have requested notto be called on except by prior arrangement, ie a phone call, and I put a sign up recently that says "RELIGIOUS GROUPS WELCOME EXCEPT FOR JEHOVAHS WITNESSES", they still rang ourdoorbell this morning.

When I saw who it was, I went to the security door and asked them why they were ringing a da'd persons bell. This guy said "well. we wouldn't have knocked your door", then tried to get in past me. I wasn't having that, and closed the door, telling him to ring someone else's door. I also said I would be contacting his po. the co and the uk branch office to complain, which wiped the smile off his face. Best thing was, the only other guy in had heard our conversation and didn't let them in either, so the jws didn't get in here this morning.

I am left wondering which part of "do not call" these clowns don't understand.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Well, I think the honest truth about it is that they are just stupid. You don't know how many times I was in the car with people and there was a 'do not call', people would start saying crap like 'but the old people could have moved!' let's go call on it anyway.

At the most it just said do not call on the card, nothing about you status being DA. They are just foolish. Kinda funny how you responded.

• freetosee
    freetosee

aaa.gif

Well, they have been sent by Jehovah to do the lifesaving work, how you dear close the door on them!!!

fts 1972.gif (watching form behind the curtain!)

• dedpoet
    dedpoet
    I think the honest truth about it is that they are just stupid

That's a reasonable assessment, I'd say. I one of them, he was an ms when I left, and he's deinitely a graduate of the awake university.

Perhaps the guy who rang the bell hadn't got his reading glasses on or something.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Maybe a 2 X 4 would help!!

• dedpoet
    dedpoet
    Maybe a 2 X 4 would help!!

Thanks CBD, that's not a bad idea lol.

I might carry out my threat and ring this guy's po. I know his name and the name of the sister who was working with him. I'll discuss it with Linda later. I know the po well enough to know a call like that would pi$$ him off, which kind of makes it worthwhile, I haven't had many opportuniies to do that lately, used to do it a lot when I was just about leaving the org.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, it demonstrates that some JWs aren't as obedient as the WTS would like to think. JWs pick and choose depending on the severity of the punishment for disobedience.

*** km 6/94 p. 2 Question Box ***

When we are working the territory, a householder may become visibly upset and emphatically insist that we do not call again. If he refuses to reason on the matter, we should comply with this request. A dated note should be placed in the territory envelope so that publishers working the territory in the future will avoid calling at that address.

Such homes are not to be avoided indefinitely. The present occupants may move away. We may contact another family member who will respond favorably. There is also the possibility that the householder to whom we spoke will have a change of heart and become more agreeable to having us call. So after some time a tactful inquiry should be made of the occupants to determine their current feelings.

The territory file should be reviewed once a year, making a list of the homes where we have been advised not to call. Under the direction of the service overseer, some tactful, experienced publishers can be assigned to visit these homes. It could be explained that we are calling to inquire if the same householder still lives there. The publisher should be familiar with the material in the Reasoning book, pages 15-24, entitled "How You Might Respond to Potential Conversation Stoppers." If there is a reasonable response, future calls can be made in the usual way. If the householder continues to be antagonistic, no further calls should be made until the following year.The local body of elders can decide if the circumstances in a particular case make it advisable to handle things differently.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Thanks for that blondie, I vaguely remember that km, but it seems to refer to householders who just don't want the jws to call, whereas the two people who live here are both disassociated former jws, and we have both requested not to be called on. The guy who rand said he wouldn't have knocked on my door, so I think it's reasonable to ask why he rang my bell, which is clearly marked as mine.

When Linda moved here, we did say that the po or another elder could phone us periodically to make sure we still lived here, but we didn't want anyone to call under any circumstances. Apart from someone calling over Christmas last year, and neither of us knew them so we assume they were visiting, the local cong have respected our request, until today. Apart from maybe calling the local po, I won't take it any further, I just wanted to wipe the false smile off that guys' face this morning.

• juni
    juni

Thanks Blondie for posting that info. I remember that time when we would do this. Perhaps dedpoet he was new??? Maybe someone didn't write it on the territory card??

I know....I'm playing the devil's advocate here.

I've only been called on once in 4 years. Never did receive the special tract.

Juni

Edited to say: Blondie's article was from 1994. I was out of the org. in ' 92 but the same policy was in effect long before that date.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi juni,

Neither the guy or the woman with him are new - I know them both, and I've been out almost 7 years. He was a ministerial servant when I was one, might even be an elder now. I suppose he might have rung the bell by accident, but I think my reaction will ensure that he doesn't have another "accident" like that one lol!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit