My Story

by nonamegiven 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

Well, my story isn’t as exciting or as tragic as many are, but it’s mine so I’ll tell it.
    The Early Years:
    I was raised in the truth but we were inactive for many years. When I was in my pre-teen
    years we became active again. I really started taking it in. By the time I was about 12 or
    so I was gung-ho. I loved to go out in service and to answer at the meetings. After a few
    years’ things just kinda cooled off. I dunno what happened for sure but I think that even
    at that young age I started to figure things out. But I stuck with it, when you are raised
    as a JW you just do it. When I was in my late teens I felt I needed to get baptized. Not
    because I felt I needed to get close to god and that the society was the way to get there.
    It was because that’s what everyone else did. So, I started going in service more and told
    the elders I wanted to get baptized. The elders called me in the back room and asked why
    my publisher card showed X amount of hours each month but they didn’t see me out enough
    to make that believable. Well, I told them it was because with my work schedule I usually
    went out early morning (street witnessing) and was often time with a small group since it
    was usually about dark-thirty in the morning. Well, I was pretty pissed off that they were
    a) keeping track of how much they see me out, b) thought I’d add hours to my records as if
    god would never know and c) the general attitude they has while interrogating me. This
    should have tipped me off that these people aren’t exactly what they say they are, i.e.
    loving.
    Anyway, I got dipped figuring it would fix all of my doubts and everything.

The Good Years
    I was baptized and seemed to be looked over for any “privileges” in the congregation no
    matter what I did. For that reason and a few others I changed congregations. I was
    immediately taken under the wing of a truly caring brother who helped me and encouraged me.
    Within a few years (2 I think) I was appointed a MS and was engaged to be married. As a
    servant I was extensively used, I had at least one talk every ministry school/service
    meeting as well as numerous other responsibilities. I gave public talks and loved that
    immensely. I even traveled to other congregations to give talks. I was married shortly
    after to a wonderful woman. All of this time I was trying to help my mom and the rest of my
    family with their spiritual progress. I asked EVERY ELDER in their congregation, EVERY MS
    in the congregation for help with my parents and sisters. Nothing. I asked for about 6 years
    and they never got a shepherding call. Ever. How loving is that. After about 6 years I
    asked the CO and he eventually did stop by with another brother or two. They stayed for
    about 10 mins. The other brother told my mom he would call to set up a time to meet with
    the whole family and really get things moving. I was very happy…………until that never
    happened. He never called. I almost wrote the organization off with that issue but I
    soldiered on……..
    The Bad Years
    My wife and I had been married about 4 years and had moved to another city and another
    congregation (the one she grew up in). We found out she was pregnant and the happiness
    ensued!! On February 8th, 2000 our dear son Cole was born and died. Of course the grief was
    intense. The elders were caring for a while, for a short while anyway. I was having a VERY
    hard time with it and depression was taking hold of me. My wife was doing better, but not
    much. I asked a number of elders for help and received next to none. I actually had an
    elder tell me that while it is a bad thing for a child to die “at least you won’t have kids
    in this system of things and you’ll be able to serve Jehovah better. That’s what the bible
    tells us.” Man, I wanted to stab him in the eye with a pencil for that one. I was so stunned
    I just walked away in shock. As I tried to deal with this, my service hours dropped off, my
    zeal dropped off and my opinion of the organization changed. Now, while we were dealing
    with this there was this sister with 2 ill-behaved kids in our book study. This lady was
    always complaining about changing diapers, feeding, and taking care of her new-born son. She
    was actually complaining about this to a couple who just held their dying son in their arms
    just months ago. Well, after this kept happening in service and at the meeting and
    everywhere else I wrote her a letter (she moved away and I didn’t have nor did I want her
    phone number). I basically told her that she would do well to watch what she says because
    she is hurting people terribly. I put a LOT of thought into that letter and let others read
    it before I sent it to make sure
    it made the point but wasn’t rude or mean. A few days later an elder pulled me aside one
    night after a meeting and asked me if I had some time to talk to him after the meeting. He
    wanted to meet back at the hall at 10:00 that night (he had to have time to help his wife
    put the kids to bed) I asked him if tomorrow would be ok since I had to get up at 5 the next
    morning. He insisted it be tonight. So, I met him at 10. He told me I shouldn’t have
    written her that letter, that it hurt her and was insensitive. I tried to explain that what
    she did was having an incredible effect on me, my wife and both of our parents and that
    what she was doing was insensitive. Well, he told me I am the MS here and should be an
    example. I was shocked but took it like a good lemming. After a few days of “meditating” on
    it I thought it the elder was wrong. I asked the PO if he could come over with this brother.
    I stated the issue and after the PO agreed that I did nothing wrong in writing the letter,
    Brother Jerk denied he told me that. I was simply mistaken. This elder lied about what he
    said. I was pissed!! He lied!! That was kinda the straw that broke the sheep’s back. That’s
    when the doubts really started taking hold in my mind. I gradually lost interest in serving
    god in this way. For the next year or two I just lost my zeal then we moved again, another
    house, another congregation. The elders received the letter from my previous congregation
    stating that I should not me an MS. Funny, they realized that my spiritual state was weak
    enough that I shouldn’t be a MS but they didn’t care enough to help me as I slipped. I just
    lost my son and they didn’t even help out. The only shepherding call of any sort was when I
    called the PO about the situation with the letter. At that point I was done mentally as far
    as being a JW. But I soldered on because of my wife.

Today:
    Well, as some of you know, I’m DF’d now and taking the time to research what I have built my
    life around. I’m finding most of it to be untrue but am trying not to make a decision until
    I’ve done all the research I can, and ‘till after I get reinstated. I need to open family
    lines of communication before I do anything.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thank you for your story, that is terribly tragic. It will continue to be difficult during this time of uncovering the truth about the WTS, but I am sure it will give you relief in the long term. Best wishes for you helping the rest of your family.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I am so, so sorry for what you have endured... and the way people who were supposed to be your support group treated you after! Just when you needed their love and compassion the most.

Well, their loss, Dear. We are awfully glad you're here.

Hugs to you and your dear wife,
    Baba.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Thanks for posting your story!! I'm so sorry for the loss of your child. There's nothing worse!! You are among friends and family now!!

shelley

bighugwelcome

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

nonamegiven,

Thankyou for sharing your story.

The part about your son dying touched me so much, and the elders reaction angered me. It's hard to believe that people can be so insensitive and unloving at such times, but I know it's true. The antics of that sister as well - so insensitive to do and say such things in you and your wife's prescence, I don't blame you for writing her the letter at all.

I hope things get better for you and your family. You will be in my thoughts

love

Linda

• daystar
    daystar

Thanks for sharing that.

As you probably know now, that sort of unloving behavior is quite typical for congregations across the globe. When we were most in our times of need, we were not treated with loving kindness. We were treated with indifference at best... unless they thought we were doing something wrong. And we must have been if we weren't painting a smile on each and every meeting, just trudging along.

It's that lack of true love of their brothers and sisters in their times of need which tells a tale of from where that religion truly comes.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Now, I don't want you to hate me for my story. Me and the couple that I was studying with happened to get pregnant about the same time. I found out that I was having twins early during my pregnancy. I got baptized while I was pregnant with the twins. My babies were born in December. Their child was to be born around the same time. I would call her everyday and ask her how she was doing. After the baby, missed it's due date, I started to get worried. Well, the baby was stillborn. It was a boy. I found that there was nothing that I could say to her that sounded right. Everything that I said was taken wrong. When my twins were making noise at the Kingdom Hall people would turn their heads and look at me as if I was doing something wrong. The guy that I studied with, actually, took one of my babies and took her to an area where he could "spank" her.

THAT WAS IT!!! SOMETHING SNAPPED!!! I DIDN'T CARE IF JEHOVAH GOT MAD OR NOT, I HAD TO TELL HIM THAT HE WAS ABOUT TO GET HIS LIGHTS PUNCHED OUT!!! I told my husband about it. He refused to talk the guy anymore and I stopped going to the meetings. I, eventually, disassociated myself. But for some strange reason, I still believed in Jehovah. Silly me! I raised the twins to believe in Jehovah. They got baptized when they turned 18. It was then that the "real light" hit me in the head like a ton of bricks. But, by then it was too late for my twins.

The irony of it all is that that couple sees my daughters everyday, and they have more control over my daughters then I do. *sheesh* Ain't that a b*tch! I left because I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable and to keep me from feeling uncomfortable (btw I'm glad I left whatever the reason), and now, they have my kids. Oh well! Sh*t happens! I'm pissed!

You know, I had told them about my miscarriage; and they never acted as if it were a loss. I did all I could to console them and all I got was rotten comments. I told them to have another child (trying to say something positive). They looked at me as if I were from the loony bin. They, eventually, did have another child, a healthy daughter.

Sometimes you just can't win no matter what you say or do. I'm sorry about the loss of your child. It is very tragic. People have the tendency to blame others for just being people. I'm sure that the lady was not intentionally trying to hurt your feelings. I know that after I had the miscarriage, every time I saw a woman with a baby, my heartstrings would tug. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Oh well, I'm glad you're here; and don't let me run you off!

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

The Bible says by their fruits you will know them, and the society tells us that it is speaking of them. Your life tells a different story and I am so sorry for all you endured, and are still enduring. I hope this board provides you with the care and support you are needing.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS...hang in there)))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Thank you for sharing your story and welcome! So sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I know first hand the pain of losing a child. Also had no support from the elders. You've come to the right place. All the best with your research, I hope you find what you're looking for.

• delilah
    delilah

Welcome to the board, you are amongst friends here.

Thankyou for sharing your story. I'm very sorry for the loss of your baby boy. I hope your wife and yourself are doing much better, now that you are out of the organization. The witnesses can be an uncaring and insensitive lot, as I've also witnessed it myself over the years.

Megsmomma is right, "You will know them by their fruits." I've always known it was meaning those within the congregation.

Hang in there, we're here for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit