My Story

by nonamegiven 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    You felt uncomfortable in talking to the sister who lost her child, people looked at you funny like it was your fault. You had trouble with the guy who studied with you, but you didn't try to get the elders to straighten it all out between the other woman and yourself.

This sister and the brother were married (still are). They had just came back from Bethel. Her sister (fleshly) thought that it would be kind to turn me and my husband over to them as a study since we were couples. He took the baby (who was not even walking at the time) and took her to an area where he could spank her. I thought that he was going to try and console her. I was wrong. As I said, my husband quit studying and never did get baptised (Thank the powers that be!). I wasn't going to try to get the elders involved. I barely knew them. I was sick of the whole situation. I had started to having panic attacks at the hall; so it was just easier for me to get the hell out and stay out. After I disassociated myself, I was glad that the Witnesses couldn't talk to me anymore. I was tired of being stressed out.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am sorry for the loss of your baby boy. You know how they should be cherished. I wish you well on your journey.

Shelly

• redeemed8
    redeemed8

I really appreciate this site, and by reading your post, I miscarried during my second pregnancy years ago and was 'shown' from the bible and the WTS how there is no hope for me to see that unborn child. Shortly thereafter, I changed congregations and found the same kinds of attitudes toward any type of suffering as well and was rebuked for seeking phsychiatric counsel for my resulting depression. I am sorry for the thoughtlessness of those who would call themselves shepards. I now know my own experience is not unique. If the JW's found out about my change to another church, if they have not already df'd me for apostacy...

Anyway, I am the product of a mixed-marriage, a JW mom and a physically abusive alcoholic father... the short story is I was married to an sexually abusive man, went to the elders to correct and receive counsel (what a joke!!) was told essentially that it was impossible for a man to rape his wife. After separating, (according to THEM I had no grounds) I was talked to about not sitting with my soon to be ex during meetings, that it embaressed his manhood?!? I related my story about how I grew up, received no compassion but was told that I should be glad that anyone would choose to marry me considering my background. I was rebuked for befriending another brother in the congregation, it was completely platonic... (they knew there was no physical relationship as this man had been reproved for homosexual conduct. Our children were friends... I didn't find this out until later when I stopped going to the kingdom hall.) And yes they do spy on people, they showed up at a non-witness friend of mine's apartment where there had been no activity during all the years (3) that he lived there. I just so happened to go the to bathroom when they knocked. It was creepy...

I was so angry at God for awhile and made some jacked-up choices during my phase but I came to realise, it wasn't his fault these people had no concept of his love, mercy and grace. For all of that bible reading I'm surprised they missed that. I am so grateful to have an actual walk with him instead of that fear based, too ashamed to look up sort of feeling that I had when I was a JW. My 2 oldest children have grown up and left home, niether one are JW's. My 4 year old has never been exposed to it and I vow that he never will as long as he is in my care. Because this child was born out of wedlock, he would have been shunned and rejected and whispered about. Where we go to church now is nothing like that, he has been embraced and loved for the blessing he truly is. I guess I am blessed that I got to fade out quietly... I don't know how long that will last though, I saw myself on the local news channel when the church I attend was featured on the news... oh well, maybe it is time I am outed. I am so blessed to have left with my sanity and more importantly a true walk with God.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

redeemed8 (posting above) snuck in last night without our properly welcoming her. Glad to have you aboard.

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

Hi,

I'm new to this discussion site and can't get enough of encouraging people who find the inclination to leave the Watchtower - JUST LEAVE. There is no denying that from Raymond Franz to websites like freeminds.org ; silentlambs.org ; randyTV.com ; http://gwest59.tripod.com ; watchtowerinformationservice.org ; there are thousands of persons with stories to tell of abuse and neglect.

I hope you find the love and compassion that Jesus intended for you to share with his followers. The WT can't possibly be the truth or in fact - in my belief - a christian religion. There is too much evidence to the contrary.

I have been attending other church services in my town and have felt loved and welcome. My experience with visiting other K-Halls when I traveled for the Company (before I grew a beard) was that I felt under examination as if I was a nefarious derilict and felt little love or warmth. Only my bass-baritone trained singing voice got me some positive attention. I quess you have to be a rock star.

My mother, who interestingly just called me as I started to write this, was contacted by witnesses shortly after my previous brother died in a horrible accident. I followed soon after. I feel that her profound depression was responsible for her accepting the visits. Those ladies were caring but controlling. The only benefit I feel I had from the Watchtower was that I actually stayed moral - mostly - and out of serious trouble while young. But the abuse I suffered for being cultishly peculiar and lack of friends in and out of the org as well as caused me serious suffering. A paradox but the sum total is I feel great being out and with Christain associates in my community. The WT vilifies Christians and I hope you look into your options for worship. I feel that staying unaffiliated or in a non-denomination would be my preference but the fact is Jesus knows his people.

You weren't an abuser. It seems that the abusers are predominant and folk like us can't stay leaving a greater concentration of abusive people in the WT over time. All the exposure I gave to their abuses got me abused all the more. I feel that the WT likes it that way or they would discipline the abusers instead of the victims. My story is too long to tell but I was in deep and long. It was hard to leave completely and go elsewhere.

Consider your options, Jesus Christ is real and interested in you.

My love to you,

Paul

• dobbie
    dobbie

Nonamegiven - i am so sorry about the death of your dear little boy, what you have been through is tragic and to be spoken to like that by those that are supposedly 'christian' is disgusting. I hope you stay around there are so many caring people on this board who are here for you. Debbie

• tiagayepfa
    tiagayepfa

Hi. Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate your honesty. I've been gone from the organization since 5/91 and am now so happy. It sounds like you're trying to make a decision. If you need any emotional support (I wish I had had), feel free to email me at pettygrue_powerhouse "at" msn.com. My husband and I left together, we left instead of giving them the satisfaction of disfellowshipping us. We were both at the "peak" of our spiritual careers, he had been a Bethelite, about to become an elder, we were both full time pioneers, I had served where the need was great shortly before. We never experienced a "down" time. I do not wish to "bash" the Witnesses, but only provide support to those who are no longer a part of the organization and wish to have peace from this.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

wecolme to the forum...

your story was touching...

i wish you and your wife well on your continuing journey..

-Eduardo

• jgnat
    jgnat

WELCOME nonamegiven, redeemed, and tiaga. I hope your stay here is long and prosperous.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Thank you for writing what you've gone through. I'm so, so sorry about your son.

Hugs,

Catfish

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit