So, was there ever a big announcement?

by TweetieBird 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    If she had followed all the hype in the early 1990's about responsible child bearing she would not have been blessed with her beautiful children.

For the most part....this is all well and good. The normal family pattern has been accepted and the WTS "counsel" was ignored. But.....don't we feel so SORRY for the poor kiddies that are born into these homes of "devout JWs" and are robbed of all their very important milestones (scouting badges and Proms, etc) and the beautiful memories they should be developing during the different holidays?

It is such a shame to subject the little ones to sitting in the school library when all the others are celebrating something "forbidden to JWs" or being left out of all the things that the other kids take for granted while growing up. Having DONE this to my own children....I feel SO badly for listening to some doddering and tyrannical old men and stealing so much JOY from my kids all through their childhoods.

Annie

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

What is this about "responsible child bearing hype in the1990's"? I think I missed that. Would someone elaborate?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

From Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschatology_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses

1. ^ "If in obedience to the divine command the Jonadabs or great multitude will marry and rear children after Armageddon, would it not be Scripturally proper for them to begin doing so immediately before Armageddon? and should the Jonadabs now be encouraged to marry and rear children? No, is the answer, supported by the Scriptures." November 1 1938 Watchtower, p. 323. Scan available at: http://www.davidgladden.com/jw/Docs/MARRIAGE.pdf

Oh -- you were asking about 1990? Sorry. I suspect, however, it was the same old song. What do you think?

Fats

• gumby
    gumby

I wonder what the witnesses will say when nukes are being dropped and religion is still standing? The tract should have read,

"Worldwide Catastrophy is Near"....then maybe they would at least get one prediction correct.

False religion being destroyed by the governments is supposed to happen before the rest of mankind is annihilated according to the witnesses, but little do they know the coming war isn't directed at religion.... at least worldwide.

Gumby

• toreador
    toreador

Does anyone have a scan of the November KM on blood or someone who could send me a scan?

Tor

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

YES- IT WAS - DO MORE, MORE, MORE

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Advice against marriage and children has been delivered preceding times of heightened expectation of Armageddon. This occurred prior to 2000.

Watchtower 1988 March 1 p. 19 Childbearing Among God’s People

“If the expansion of Christianity was to come about mainly by childbearing, Jesus would not have encouraged his disciples to “make room” for singleness “on account of the kingdom of the heavens.” (Matthew 19:10-12) …

How should Christians view marriage and childbearing today, in this “time of the end”? (Daniel 12:4) It is truer than ever that “the scene of this world is changing,” or, as another translation puts it, “the present scheme of things is rapidly passing away.”—1 Corinthians 7:31, Phillips. Now, as never before, “the time left is reduced.” Yes, only a limited time remains for Jehovah’s people to finish the work he has given them to do, namely: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14) That work must be accomplished before the end comes. It is, therefore, appropriate for Christians to ask themselves how getting married or, if married, having children will affect their share in that vital work. …

During all this pre-Flood period, Noah’s sons and their wives had no children.”

In the lead up to 1975 this same reasoning was expounded.

Awake 1974 November 8 p.11

"Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus' prophecy will shortly have a major fulfilment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time. They have chosen to remain childless so that they would be less encumbered to carry out the instructions of Jesus Christ to preach the good news of God's kingdom earth wide before the end of this system comes. -Matt.24:14."

In 1941 the Watchtower said that the followers were in the remaining months before Armageddon." (w41 9/15 p.288) The lead up to this period specifically warned it would be inappropriate to have children.

Face the Facts (1938) pp.46, 47, 50

"Would it be Scripturally proper for them to now marry and to begin to rear children? No, is the answer, which is supported by the Scripture…. Those Jonadabs who now contemplate marriage, it would seem, would do better if they wait a few years, until the fiery storm of Armageddon is gone..."

Watchtower 1938 November 1 p.324

"...mark the words of Jesus, which definitely seem to discourage the bearing of children immediately before or during Armageddon

Children (1941) 3,000,000 ed. pp.312-313

"Should men and women, both of whom are Jonadabs or "other sheep" of the Lord, now marry before Armageddon and bring forth children? They may chose to do so, but the admonition or advice of the scriptures appears to be against it.

Many that adhered to this advice in the 1930’s have since passed away without experiencing the joy of children and grandchildren.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit