Went to doc, doc said JW religion oppressive

by purplesofa 24 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Yesterday I went to the doctor....tired, weight gain, checkup, etc etc. This is a new doc so I had to fill out all the forms, family history, where I was born, jobs I have had, underwear size etc etc.

As I was filling out the form, family history, FATHER.....illnesses, deceased. I don't know, don't know my father. Siblings, age, sex, illnesses, deceased. Brother 33, deceased, suicide.

As I continued to fill out the form tears came to my eyes, looking back on my past. Doc comes in and sees the tears, She knows.....and says, the past is sometimes hard to look back on.

So tell me Ms purps, tell me why you are here today. Blah, blah blah, had a bad year........daughter two trips to ICU for overdoses, car wreck, had to put my dog to sleep, relationship ended with a man that I was wild about......plus he was my best friend. Brother died, Mom going blind, financial crap, the list seems endless.

Ms purps you are a very strong woman to come through all this as you have. We talked some more and she asked if I went to church. I said well no..........have not been in two years. Should I tell her??? OK........on top of everything else I have had a bit of a spiritual crisis, I was raised Catholic and switched to JW. I'm trying to get out of a cult. The JW's helped me alot but through this part, what I needed was not there. She said, When I go to church I need to hear something encouraging, something that will make me feel good, not how bad I am, I already know that.

I said yes, it has been very depressing. She said that the religion was very oppressive. To let her know I was not superwoman I said I have some good friends and I go to a message board for X-jws that is very supportive. Anyway, she recommended counselling to help, encourage and she said.......just to make you feel good about making it through all this.

First of All, I want to say, we really cant underestimate what we have been through. It was a shitty way of life in many respects and no matter how hard we try, that past will sneak up on us and grab us in the butt. There is help and support out in the WORLD, they do understand.

Second, I would like to share my appreciation to this forum, the people that participate and share knowledge and open their minds and hearts. Coming home at the end of the day, dealing with lifes problems, I found the board.......funny, informative, sad, encouraging, loving, hateful, watched people work through problems, get help and grow. I don't know how I would have survived if not for you.

Thank you very much.

love,

purps

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source

op?pres?sive / ?'pr?salt?v / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation [ uh-pres-iv ] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective

1.burdensome, unjustly harsh, or tyrannical: an oppressive king; oppressive laws.
    2.causing discomfort by being excessive, intense, elaborate, etc.: oppressive heat.
    3.distressing or grievous: oppressive sorrows.
  • crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Aw, Purps, sorry you have had such a rough time. But we are all here for you!!

bighugIloveyou

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((Purps)))

My heart aches for all your sorrows. I send you much care and needed love and acceptance

You are a wonderful, kind, loving woman.......I am hoping to meet you in person. (soon I hope...remember the guest bedroom awaits you!!!)

Thank you for being such a good friend to me

Codeblue

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

((((purps))))

I am so sorry that you are having a tough time.

You will always have friends here.

love

Linda

• deeskis
    deeskis

((((Purps))))

You're doc was right, you are a strong woman to get through this, but strong women still need help to keep it together.

That Doctor sounds like a keeper, she let you talk, she echoed what you were saying without jumping in too quickly.

Best wishes

Dee

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I love you, Purps.

That's all I want to say.

Baba.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

(((purps)))

• uninformed
    uninformed

I agree with every word you said about this DB.

What a fine place to try to get well together.

Brant

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It's so great to have you here purps... you're always encouraging and good to people here too.

I'm another who 'should' go to counselling, I've kept putting it off for dumb reasons. I consider my time here a good way to vent and talk about it with people who have been through it, but a professional perspective would most likely speed the process up.

• juni
    juni

Hi purps,

You have had a very rough time sweetie. Everyone is different in the way they handle stress. I'm one not to handle it very good. So I was in counseling for years. My therapist also said the same thing about the JW religion. Oppressive. She once went with one of her patients to get a "feel" for the religion. She made it through the public talk and the start of the WT study. Then she had to leave as she felt like the air was being sucked out of her.

I had to work on building up my self esteem after leaving the organization. I never felt good enough or like I was doing all I could do for my God. When I came out of it I didn't know what to do w/myself or what to believe. It had been my life for 21 years. I had ditched all of my friends when I was studying. I had the job of re building my life all over. It was hard 'cause I had so many feelings of guilt.

Besides professional help, I have found this board a real pleasure and help for the same reasons you had listed. It took me a while before I signed on - I lurked for a couple of years. I couldn't hold back any longer from sharing my pain w/others who also had experienced much of the same. I needed to talk with people who knew first hand what I was talking about. I remember shaking my head and crying when I read peoples' personal accounts. I truly could feel their pain as I had also experienced many of the same things.

Just as different ones can remember their personal experiences w/the Holocaust many decades after (or any other traumatic experience), people who have been in a cult and brainwashed are forever affected. But you make the best of it and move on.

Hugs with love purps,

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit