Went to doc, doc said JW religion oppressive

by purplesofa 24 Replies latest jw friends

• codeblue
    codeblue

bttt

Purps needs our support

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Stress and loss accumulates purps. It has a habit of jumping you when you're down.
    Thinking good thoughts for you,
    Pete

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Remember what the doc told you....you are a SURVIVOR not a victim. You are strong, you have courage. I am so sorry that you have had to experience the heartaches that you have faced. I am thinking of you.

Leslie

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

purple sofa, I feel your pain. I don't know exactly what you're going through, but when I began to drift away, I know, I felt very disconnected.
    when I first started coming to this board, I had no idea how dysfunctional I really was. Someone told me that all Jehovah's Witnesses are mentally or emotionally ill in some way.
    I did not believe it at the time, but I certainly believe it now. The good thing is, it gets better the longer you're out.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Yes, the JW religion is oppressive, but somehow, especially after all you have been through, you are making it through another day. I think you are a very sensitive woman who really cares . . . and to me that is the very best type of person. Much love to you.

Paul

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

((((purps)))) Two of my friends also went to the doctor, who also told them that a lot of their anxiety was brought on by their JW religion. Both are now out, although one is still under pressure from her parents to become active again. You can do this. We are here for you.

• parakeet
    parakeet

purplesofa, you may not feel strong at the moment, but given the year you've had, you're holding up better than most people I know would, including myself. You've been given good advice. Take the advice -- get a little extra help to continue being the strong woman you are. I hope your emotional recovery from all this trauma will be speedy. Many ((((((hugs))))))

• Shakita
    Shakita

So tell me Ms purps, tell me why you are here today. Blah, blah blah, had a bad year........daughter two trips to ICU for overdoses, car wreck, had to put my dog to sleep, relationship ended with a man that I was wild about......plus he was my best friend. Brother died, Mom going blind, financial crap, the list seems endless. Ms purps you are a very strong woman to come through all this as you have. We talked some more and she asked if I went to church. I said well no..........have not been in two years. Should I tell her??? OK........on top of everything else I have had a bit of a spiritual crisis, I was raised Catholic and switched to JW. I'm trying to get out of a cult. The JW's helped me alot but through this part, what I needed was not there. She said, When I go to church I need to hear something encouraging, something that will make me feel good, not how bad I am, I already know that. Hi Purps, I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Any person having to endure all the family problems that you have endured would do well to keep their sanity. On top of all that you have experienced a major spiritual crisis and it feels like the world is caving in. I can't tell you how many times I have beat myself over the decision that I made when I was only nineteen. I began to study with a Witness about the same age as me and I was baptized a few years later. If I could turn back time and reverse my decision, I'm certain that things wouldn't have been so hard on my family. Of course, I'm glad that I found out the truth about the truth and now I can live the life that I want. It's not just that we have had to endure difficult family situations, it is also the fact that we were told repeatedly by the WT that we are good for nothing slaves that also have the tendency to sin. We always received a very negative message about the kind of persons that we are. So, not only did we have to deal with crushing family situations, financial crises, feeling like outcasts among society in general, but we also had to deal with the very negative view of ourselves from the WT. It took me a long tome to accept this Purps, but I finally accepted the fact that I am a good person. I make mistakes like any other person, but I am not a vile sinner that has to grovel at God's feet to find forgiveness. How can anyone be drawn to a God that views us in such a negative way? I looked at the way I feel about my own children. I love them just because they exist and are my children. If I always told them that I thought that they were vile sinners that needed to grovel at my feet to find my approval, how could they ever feel good about themselves? Yet, if the message that I gave my children is that they are inherently good and not inherently evil, then I feel that that encouragement would help them to be the best persons that they could be. What we were missing Purps was the kind of unconditional love that we deserved to have. Give yourself some credit Purps. You are obviously a very considerate and caring person. You have endured many trials that would level an ordinary person. My message to you Purps is that you are a good person that has had to endure many hardships. My only advice to you is to take things a day at a time. I hope that things start to improve in your life. You have the love and support of the Shakita family. Mr. Shakita

• damselfly
    damselfly

(((Purps)))

This board helped me soooo much when I needed, I'm glad your seeking help. Looking back at the past is so painful but the future is always full of hope.

Dams

• Mary
    Mary
    PurpleSofa said: First of All, I want to say, we really cant underestimate what we have been through. It was a shitty way of life in many respects and no matter how hard we try, that past will sneak up on us and grab us in the butt. There is help and support out in the WORLD, they do understand.

This is so true. I've been to church a few times since leaving "the Truth" and it almost comes as a shock when the minister talks about his time in university, or a sport they like to play, or when they tell you that God wants you to make the absolute most of your life. It's just so completely opposite from what I was taught my whole life that it's difficult to absorb sometimes. I also listen to Charles Stanley's In Touch Ministry on the way to work in the morning, along with Focus on the Family. While some of the things they talk about are a bit "over the top", I generally find their sermons informative, uplifting and encouraging. For me, this has somewhat helped heal my disillusioned and broken heart when I found out the JWs did not have "the Truth". I've also considered going for professional counselling with someone who deals specifically with cults.

Second, I would like to share my appreciation to this forum, the people that participate and share knowledge and open their minds and hearts. Coming home at the end of the day, dealing with lifes problems, I found the board.......funny, informative, sad, encouraging, loving, hateful, watched people work through problems, get help and grow. I don't know how I would have survived if not for you.

Here, here. I think most would agree with your statement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit