Are JWs chronic liars?

by Kristofer 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

It's been about a year since I've been on this board. And what brought me here was me (a non-JW) seeing a JW girl. I've been out of this situation for a while now. But looking back on the situation with a clear head, I realized I fell for a girl that wasn't real. She lied about SO many things. Some things were so trivial there was no point in lying about them. But I was amazed at how easy it was for her to lie. I mean, I was a secret the entire time we were together so she was lying to her family as well. I have a theory about this. I figure since she grew up in such a restricted and judgemental environment, lying became something she learned to do well. What do you all think about this? Does growing up in the JW environment cause you to be more loose with the truth? Do you think her behavior is a direct link to her JW-ness? Or do you think she is just deceptive aside from her upbringing.

• MsShockJock
    MsShockJock

Hi Kristofer,

I have to tell you all the years that I have known the witnesses I have found them to be the biggest liars I have ever known. They will skirt around an issue, avoid answering questions, stretch the truth, and out right lie and think nothing of it. They even justify lying if it will advance kingdom interests like in the door to door work or to get themselves out of a sticky situation. They will not tell people what they really teach just to get them interested in the truth. Those in business for themselves have been known to have some shady ways of keeping the books and avoiding paying taxes. There are also a lot of younger ones leading a double life as you found out. I'm glad you have moved on. You don't need people like that in your life. It's so funny that they talk about Satan being the father of the lie so often at their meetings and they are the biggest liars of them all. By their fruits you will recognize them.......

MSJ

• bernadette
    bernadette

Its called theocratic warfare strategy

However I do know some genuine, honest witnesses. Unfortunately they are being schooled in deception

• fokyc
    fokyc

lying became something she learned to do well. ...and 'loose with the truth

Jehovah's Witnesses are some of the best and most prolific liars known. They have no morals about lying despite what they are told and read in the Bible and surprisingly the society's literature. It is very difficult to understand.

fokyc

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/watchtower_quotes/present-truths/lie/

While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I figure since she grew up in such a restricted and judgemental environment, lying became something she learned to do well.

I think your reasoning is correct Kristofer. I see dishonesty as being closely tied to guilt and shame - which goes on to a fear of judgement. The greater the fear is, the more prepared someone will be to lie - but that doesn't necessarily mean that they feel comfortable about doing it. If they aren't comfortable, they may try the 'being economical with the truth' approach first.

Nobody wants to be wrong or worse still, have to openly admit it. I don't think this is just a JW thing, their dishonesty is possibly more obvious because they are more open to public scrutiny.

• fokyc
    fokyc

nelly136

While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it.

Such a typical JW answer, I AM only talking about information and facts to which I AM entitled!!

Elders in particular are the biggest bunch of liars ever, mainly they get into a position where they are forced by the society to tell one lie which has to be followed by more lies to cover up the first. Perhaps you haven't been able to read this from their latest publication:

"Dealing With Others as God Desires" from "Live With Jehovah’s Day In Mind"

‘How would God evaluate the way I deal with my brothers?’ One area of concern is how we view and treat a brother when things have not gone smoothly.

God desires that we be truthful in our dealings.

We must be honest in formal situations, but we are also urged: "Speak truthfully with one another." That includes in the privacy of our home when speaking with our marriage mate or close relatives. It also applies to our everyday conversations with spiritual brothers and sisters, whether we are speaking face-to-face, talking on the telephone, or communicating in another way. They have every reason to expect that what we are saying is the truth.

fokyc

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is a perfectionistic organization. People are not rewarded for telling the truth. They are only interested in pleasing people and thus don't care what God sees and hears them doing. "Jehovah has left the land."

Blondie

• carla
    carla

Yes, they are chronic liars in general. They encourage people to lie to their mates as well.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Some of the biggest liars I have known have been jws, strange for an organisation that calls itself "the truth".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit