Are JWs chronic liars?

by Kristofer 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

Thanks to everyone for their insight. In the beginning when I first met her, she told me that her daughter was adopted. That her best friend died young of cancer and that she adopted the child. I think that's right out of a movie... When she finally fessed up, she said it was because she didn't want me to think less of her... Because I know how important religion can be in a relationship, the very first night I went out with her I asked her if she was a Christian, she said "yes". When I asked what denomination or the name of her church or where it was, she seemed to have a total lapse of memory. I remember one time our plans to hang out got cancelled because she said she was taken to the emergency room for some kind of panic attack. I caught her in that one. I called the hospital and found out she had never been admitted. (I normally don't check up but by this time I was becoming a very distrusting person). I remember before we were going out, she said she was hit by a car and was limping all over work, which is where i met her. I was pretty much waiting on her hand and foot. (I was told by a co-worker that they caught her walking to the bathroom just fine). Even after we broke up, we kept in touch and a friend at work told me they saw her holding hands with someone at the autoshow. I asked her about it and she said it was her "friend" who was there with his wife and that they always hold hands and she's like part of the family. She also seemed to have a lot of men in her life that were at her beck and call but were always in the "friend zone". I think she knew too well how to manipulate. And it wasn't just this. It was little every day things that didn't need lying about. I just didn't get it. It seemed so unnecessary. It's only now that I'm moving on that I realized that I was in love with a a lie.

• luna2
    luna2

JWs are experts at avoiding truth and lying to themselves. The elder I once worked for was a great example of this. He was extremely deceptive and went through all kinds of contortions to adhere to the "letter of the law". He could then tell himself that he wasn't a liar, and would become absolutely irate if anybody accused him of such. However, he had no problem skirting the truth, not answering direct questions, pretending he misunderstood, making up his own definitions of words, etc. He did everything he could to convey a false impression but told himself that if people got the "wrong" idea from his very creative word usage, well, that wasn't his fault, was it?

I know that I could talk myself into being sick so I could miss meetings and have a good excuse. It was relatively easy to drum up a headache or a sore throat or something from sheer stress and unhappiness. Not exactly a lie, but not exactly showing honest desire to attend meetings either.

Then there's the whole theocratic warfare thing...sorry, but that's just lying disguised as something honorable. I guess the end justifies the means. Dubs can lie to those people who they don't deem worthy of hearing the truth in order to further their own aims. Interesting definition of honesty Jehovah's people have.

Not that this makes them worse than everybody else as far as lying, but it sure doesn't make them better.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

My experience is very limited so I wouldn't want anyone to think that I think all JWs are anything--but the one I know pretty well is amazingly nimble about never answering a question. Amber Rose describes a conversation with my JW acquaintance quite accurately!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Yes...OUTLAW

• vitty
    vitty

I started lying when I was constantly asked "Why I wasnt at a meeting, field service arrangement".......................or whatever..............I didnt want to lie but you cant say "cos I didnt want to".................

Since I left I realize they ALL lie, They ALL manipulate the truth ..............to family, friends in side and out side the org.

And im not lying

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit