The Memorial...

by Justice-One 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Does anyone still go to the Memorial? I was just thinking that although I made it quite clear to my wife that I was NOT going to go to anymore meetings or conventions (I made a comment about not wanting to be there when the Kool-Aid came out) that I caught myself thinking the other day that I might go to the Memorial just to keep her happy. But then I thought why? It would be like me saying that I still think they have the truth, but that its just not for me. And I would so love to help those Memorial attendance numbers to continue to go down.

Any thoughts on this?

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I was really conflicted on this, but I went to the Memorial this year to make my husband happy. I hadn't been to a meeting in over a year, and I didn't want to ruin my fade, but it went well. There's something to be said for peace in the household.

This is just my situation, though, and it worked out well for me. You know your own situation best.

GGG

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I know faders who go to the memorial but not any other meetings, one of my boyfriends closest friends does that. The only reason is to keep his wife and family. They seem to think as long as he goes to the memorial, there is still hope for him. I would think that's the reason quite a few go, as I know this guy thinks the wts teachings are total bs.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I went to the memorial a couple years ago and for me, it was so good to go and see all the hypocricy. I would read around the scrips they were reading and see how it is so twisted. I will never go again....it was my last harah!

• done4good
    done4good

It really depends. I would say if your wife already knows your true position, then don't go. It's the whole "actions speak louder" thing. She may well interpret it as you still think they have the truth, even if you say otherwise. OTOH, if you only recently stopped going to meetings, and she does not know your actual stance on the organization, it may prove to be a way of supporting the gradual fade better.

j

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I did not go to this past memorial. The first one I missed.

Generally the memorial is the meetinig that people continue to attend for a while even after declaring their independence from the borg.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I too have thought about this. Since my fade has turned into more of a vanish the shock has taken my family and friends by surprise. I've already been invited to an assembly, which I plan on NOT attending, but the memorial I'm not so sure about. I probably will go, albeit to a different hall, just to keep things calm. I sure don't look forward to it though.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My goal is a successful fade. As long as the wife is in the borg, I want to keep the JC off my back.
    As I get to the point of attending no meetings, I will probably continue to go to the memorial, then
    if they ever try some crap with me, I can say "I went to the meeting, I'm still dealing with doubt and
    personal problems." It's really just a game, so it depends on how each ex-JW is playing it.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

"....They seem to think as long as he goes to the memorial, there is still hope for him."

So true.

I realized that if the spirit of the Memorial is still true to you, and you are already fading, then have your own Memorial.

• misguided
    misguided

The last meeting I went to was the memorial 2 years ago. When I walked out the door, I just knew it was my last one. It was a strange feeling, uncomfortable, but liberating somehow. It was if something snapped in my head. I knew my days as a JW were done.

It was then that I started researching the "apostate" information, and thanks to so many of you who post I've learned so much. Thank you.

Rose

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit