The Memorial...

by Justice-One 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

What date is the 2007 memorial?

• vitty
    vitty

Usually on memorial night it is busier than normal and everyone is assigned a seat and sit down so that spare seat can be seen.

This means that fading ppl are seen but not given the chance to be "attacked" although this may happen on a later date

We were fading and thought it better to attend the memorial so not to be missed................there were so many there no one saw us

• Mary
    Mary
    Does anyone still go to the Memorial? I was just thinking that although I made it quite clear to my wife that I was NOT going to go to anymore meetings or conventions (I made a comment about not wanting to be there when the Kool-Aid came out) that I caught myself thinking the other day that I might go to the Memorial just to keep her happy.

I go to the Memorial to keep my parents happy. The last 2 or 3 years have really irritated me though. Jesus is barely mentioned at all any more. There's no mention whatsoever of his praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, his betrayal by Judas, his inquistion before the Romans and the Jewish leaders, his beatings, his trek to Golgotha, his execution, or even his resurrection. I'd say 80 - 90% of the 1/2 hour talk is all about who make up the new covenent and who should take the bread and the wine. Jesus is given an honorary nod. If I were a worldly person coming to the Hall for the first time, it would also be my last time. The whole thing is just bullshit.

This past Memorial, we had THE most boring speaker on the planet. I managed to drown him out till he read the scripture that talked about "I have other sheep which are not of this fold, these I must also bring." I really wanted to jump up and yell out "He was talking about Jews and Gentiles you idiot!!!" Of course, everyone else just sat there with a glazed look on their face. He somehow managed to get done early so he lit into everyone there telling them that "meeting attendence is not an 'option', it's a 'commandment from Jehovah!" It was actually embarassing from a Dub's point of view.

The only thing that makes it barable, is the fact that it's over in 45 minutes............

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I can't remember whether you've been vocal with the elders or have been trying to 'fade', but if you have been able to successfully 'fade', it's worth considering attending the memorial just because as far as JWs are concerned, no JW would miss the memorial. Not going is a real statement. It might give your wife a bit of false hope though.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Justice-One,

This creates a great conflict of emotion for many of us. To omit meeting attendance altogether is shun-worthy, but to skip the Memorial is perceived as sacrilege! However, in the course of past research and note-taking, I found a site which I hope to relocate. It mentioned the Gnostics' ceremony of "saying 'NO' to the body of Christ." I found that concept horrifying as the speaker at the Memorial emphasizes that NO ONE [but the odd anointed one] should partake. I am not an expert in these matters, but it's what Mary said about insufficient recognition of Jesus and way beyond that. My gut reaction is that the Memorial presentation tramples upon the blood of the Christ. I have found a measure of peace outside the box, but this all-important issue is troubling for us who no longer believe in the two-class system.

With you in Christ,

CoCo

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I quit cold turkey in August 2000. Never been back since, but your situation is much different.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The last memorial I went to was disgusting. They now announce a "special announcement". If anyone would like to have a home bible study the society would be glad to arrange one for you. Big damned deal. They announce it like they know the date for armageddon or something. Its like a commercial inserted into this sacred occasion. Whoopdedoo.

W.Once

• Sam87
    Sam87

i dont go anymore because its telling them all that you think they still have the truth, thats the last thing that i want to do.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

If I did go again haven't for 5 years. I would have to partake. I wouldn't want them to be able to count me in their numbers.

• Juniper123
    Juniper123

I went to last year's one after not having gone in a good ten years and it was one of the most sumpremely uncomfortable exeperiences of my life. My dad is good about not guilting me into going to meetings, but he really wanted me to go to The Memorial, so I gave in. Not this coming one though. And I don't think he'll be going either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit