What faithful JW's do you pity the most?

by OnTheWayOut 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hey that was me! And yes I did cry myself to sleep... I pity anybody who isn't happy but hasn't realised that there's a way out.

I have no pity for elders. I'll accept that a minority feel trapped and do their quiet little campaigns for change, but even those are difficult to respect for being too gutless to either make the change happen or leave - they'd rather retain the power or keep the peace than live up to their principles. The rest I consider loveless, vain, powermongering local councillors - Prince Shyte of Turd Hill. I pity their children.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The senior JW's who looked at me with sadness in their eyes and voices as they said, "But... we weren't supposed to grow old in this system."

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The kids never have a chance to imagine how much more of life there is than what they see in the organization. Especially the girls who are told they are not even allowed to aspire to as much as their brothers.

• Sam87
    Sam87

that is a terrible story OnTheWayOut, how did the elders deal with that one? what was done? it surely wouldve had to been dealt with

Sam87

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I don't know any women like on the way out described. I don't think people are doing that so much any more. Maybe 10 or 20 years ago, I remember some from then.

I don't feel sorry for any witnesses, except maybe a widowed old man or lady who just lost their mate and think they will see them again in paradise. And of course, the kids and teenagers. I feel for them.

everyone else.... not so much. We are all responsible for what we got ourselves into and for some reason or another, some people felt they needed to make an extra large commitment to this religion and way of life... that's their own fault.

• RAZORMIND55
    RAZORMIND55

the children are the worst off. By the time they have a choice, their most important developmental years, and often education opportunities, are gone.

YUP!!!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I pity anyone who follows JW doctrine to the letter. We all know there were varying degrees of commitment. But I feel bad for the part-time wage slave, pioneer, naïve person...who is an accident or a medical emergency away from being too poor to eat, because they couldn't afford health insurance. There is a family in my hall that doesn't have health insurance. Pretty scary.

Next would be the old folks who were promised paradise and still wait for it...

After them would be anyone who said, "We'll have kids in the NS" and then become the folks directly above.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sam87 asked:

that is a terrible story OnTheWayOut, how did the elders deal with that one? what was done? it surely wouldve had to been dealt with

The JW brother was considered mentally unstable. It did not keep him out of prison (I am not sure what kind of sentence and what kind of treatment he received- I was no longer in the same cong.) and the brothers did not DF him in absentia. I think they just wanted him to fade away on his own, or die in prison. Sorry I can't complete the details better.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I understand your perspectives on the most 'pitiful' JWs. Ultimately, they were all children to start with-the ones who are SO indoctrinated that they can't separate their faith that there is a God from their religious upbringing-because they are taught that any other religion is not only not the 'best' religion, but that any other thought process even is disloyal to Jehovah God. Did any of you know incredibly brilliant JW's? I knew a couple of standout intellects. I am not so glaringly bright or anything, but there is a huge disconnect between what your heart wants believe and what your head is telling you. Unfortunately they are so inculcated with the fact that there is no 'truth' outside of the organization that they feel guilty for even thinking about looking outside of the org. In fact, just looking carefully at the org. is considered disloyal. That is enough dilemma for those of normal intellect. But there are those you know could be physicists or brain surgeons-and they had been taught that to aspire to such things is just plain WRONG. To consider a career in journalism or politics or law-too worldly. Too many conflicts with their 'faith'. Yes, it is hard being a child in the org-but little children are too innocent and naive to know how much they are missing out on. The brilliant and too blindly loyal former JW child is in a trap that is incredibly difficult to extricate themselves from. I have met a few, but I know a few that are still in-and I don't know how they can even sleep at night.

• bernadette
    bernadette

I was trying to think of a single religion - other than the wt- that makes the same demand of children as it does of adults. Not a single one.

5 meetings week - same for children

preparation for meetings - same for children

ministry - same demands of children

Its like in wt eyes children don't exist, they are there by accident and as they are there, they have to do everything everyone elso is doing or get left behind. What ever happens they mustn't get in the way!

feels better getting that out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit