JW start out early making you feel guilty

by MsMcDucket 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Do you think HE has multiple personalities?

All levity aside, the god that the jw describe does sound like someone who has Borderline Personality Disorder. I remember when I was suffering through my hardest bouts of worthlessness. There was a sliver of hope that made me think that one day I could be the kind of person that god wanted. Then, once I started to come around and thank god for my newfound sense of worth, I'd be hit again with a mountain of expectations. These weren't from me.

I'd read the testimonials (can't remember what the wt calls them) in the wt and awake and then I'd feel like crap again. Each one talked about how the brother was faithful his whole life. Each one mentioned how he didn't let his feelings get him down and such crap. Each one made me feel even uglier since I wasn't able to handle my emotions like the brother or sister in the mags. Now, one or two stories like that could be a coincident, but every story I read was like that.

What this taught me, eventually, is that regardless of whether the bible is god's word (still highly doubting that but willing to have reasonable conversations with reasonable people about it), the god that I was introduced to from the bible and from the jw has some serious emotional issues. You can be disfellowshipped for disrespecting an elder, yet this same religion teaches that the best solution that the wisest person in the universe could come up with was allow as situation where 99.9 percent of the population had to be forcibly destroyed? Come on. Give me a break.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Good point Ms Mc D, that is the initial separating that they do, to isolate you.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I always felt guilty if my Watchtower was not underlined, so even if I had exams at school I would still prestudy the Watchtower. I got so good at it that I could underline the correct answers for an entire study in 7 minutes by reading the Q first and skimming until I found the answer.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I always used to feel guilty at the book study if i did'nt answer.It would be the same 'clever' ones answering and i would feel some of them look my way and anyone elses who hadn't answered near the end - i used to waste hours in the end just trying to prepare an answer they'd think good enough - in the end my nerves used to get so bad i stopped going altogether.Having to wait my turn to read the bible scriptures was an ordeal by that time as well , but you had to do it whether you wanted to or not. I used to have to try and cover my mags and books too if i hadnt underlined them so they could'nt see and look down on me - some of them just don't realise what its like trying to study with youngsters running around your feet!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Same here. When they gave me my first kingdom ministry, they made sure I knew what a privilege it was they were granting me, that they actually felt they could trust me with such a treasure. Going in the ministry and joining the tms were also made out to be great privileges as well. It still makes me wonder how I fell for it all.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I remember being at a book study and not answering that night. I was just a young kid, maybe 10 or 11. I wasn't feeling good or something. Well at the end of the book study the conductor tells everyone that we had 99% participation tonight. Obviously making it known to everyone that I didn't comment.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Hey Hecklerboy

Sorry about that comment. I'd like you to know that I will never bully small children again in the name of God.

Seriously, (some of) the leaders of this Org are the most arrogant and thoughtless humans on the planet. It's like someone made a video titled "School janitors on a power trip" or something and these guys follow the script.

More arrogant elders than humble ones IMHO.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Did you notice how they made you feel GUILTY BY NOT READING THEIR PUBLICATIONS? You had to read a book a month (it seemed) on the Jehovah's Witnesses organization. I never did get through the Evolution Book. It was just a bunch of malarkey anyway! I got so discussed with reading. It's hard for me to read anything now. If it's long, I ain't going to read it. I'm just like a second grader now. And I like pictures! How elementary! Pictures are easy I don't have to read!

• cyrus
    cyrus

NO never fell for the bullshit

• choosing life
    choosing life

I remember being told that I could not read or obtain a copy of the organization book until I was dedicated and slated for baptism. Always guilting you to go a little further into their trap. Bad thing is that it worked at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit