JW start out early making you feel guilty

by MsMcDucket 25 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I remember when they wouldn't give me the Kingdom Ministry because I wasn't an approved associate/publisher/baptised. I started thinking God everybody knows that I am not good enough for Jehovah. If I had of only known then what I know now, I wouldn't have fell for it.

Anybody else remember guilt trips that they used to make people feel like they had to do this or that?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yep. They made me wait a couple of months before I could get on the APPROVED LIST at the KH.

Then they told me not to study older publications after I was baptised because I would end up BURNING OUT.

I waited almost 15 years before I started studying older publications.

Then I ended up BURNING OUT of their cult:

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Yes, they do start out early - from the very first study.

I was twenty when I had my first study with the jw. I had never heard of the group before, a fact which my bible study conductor didn't believe. Knowing what I know now, I bet he thought I was an apostate or something. Anyway, the first study I attended was actually my friend's study. He was on Chapter 3 of the live forever book, who is god. (I think, it's been a while)

We came to the point where the book makes the assertion that god's name is jehovah. (I think they capitalized the J though). Anyway, I had never heard that name either and I told the study conductor. He then told me that I needed to use that name or I wouldn't be talking to god. He told me that if I didn't call god by the name jehovah, that it was anyone's bet who would get my prayer (apparently prayer delivery is even worse than mail deliver here on earth.)

So, I started thinking about all the times I'd felt that I'd prayed to god and that he'd answered me and I was a bit offended. I wish I would have been enough offended to halt the study, but I can't go back and change the past. At any rate, this "servant of god" actually had the gall to judge my prayers, prayers that he didn't know anything about on the very first day he met me.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    He then told me that I needed to use that name or I wouldn't be talking to god. He told me that if I didn't call god by the name jehovah, that it was anyone's bet who would get my prayer (apparently prayer delivery is even worse than mail deliver here on earth.)

Yep, they used that one on me too! That's how they inculcate us with that name. We can't be part of the true religion if we don't accept that name. We just took their word for it. I hate that!

• mama1119
    mama1119

I remember being a small child and hearing that Jehovah was always watching you and if you did something wrong, he would make sure the elders found out. That pretty much started the guilt ball rolling with me.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    I remember being a small child and hearing that Jehovah was always watching you and if you did something wrong, he would make sure the elders found out.

Yeah, isn't this ludicrous? The person who owns the universe and everything in it is concerned about what we do with our willy's and hoo-ha's.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I remember being a small child and hearing that Jehovah was always watching you and if you did something wrong, he would make sure the elders found out. That pretty much started the guilt ball rolling with me.

That starts the paranoia. I can see why many witnesses go off the deep in!

I had to start using reasoning. I would think that Jehovah couldn't see anything bad that only Jesus did and Jesus was the mediator, so he wouldn't tell Jehovah about it.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

They even made me feel guilty when I didn't want to study. That's Satan preventing you from hearing the good news.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I seem to recall the divine name was not even used in the model prayer. Or maybe they just explain it that god eavesdrops on his son all the time. (since a trinitarian explanation would not be in keeping with their doctrine either)

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I seem to recall the divine name was not even used in the model prayer. Or maybe they just explain it that god eavesdrops on his son all the time. (since a trinitarian explanation would not be in keeping with their doctrine either)

Do you think HE has multiple personalities?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit