College...(don't tell the elders)

by SB 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Good on ya! I like to see young whippersnappers like you streching your comfort zone. What I found successful was to make friends with others in my classes and have study groups to quiz each other on the content. How many times I missed a subtle nuance in class that others picked up on and it bailed me out on tests many times. Networking like that not only will improve your grades but it will expose you to many different kids that enrich your life tremendously. Pretty soon you'll laugh that you ever said you had trouble with the worldlies!

(whispered in your ear.....genetics)

I wish you the best.

carmel

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome, and good for you to get an education.

I worked part time, regular pioneered back in the days when it was 1000 hours and went to uni. To cope I did a 3/4 load and took an extra year. It really is not that hard provided you enjoy what you have chosen.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

I am a former JW who is now a college professor. If you need any help email at [email protected]

Jeff S.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Good Luck with your studies.

A's earned at the beginning of the semester require less work because they come from tests over the beginning of the book being studied. And they are averaged in with the grades at the end of the semester. So go for the easy A's and coast through the hard stuff near the end when all your classmates will be scrambling to get a grade in the class.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Congratulations and Good Luck!

You won't find it any harder than high school

I can't disagree with this statement more. I am about 15 years older than the kids coming in from high school who make up about 2/3 of the student body at my college. They usually get a healthy dose of "oh crap" and then start taking their work seriously, or else they drop out. Not all of the kids are this way, but far too many are.

I have a few pointers for you:

1) Organization is your friend. Being sloppy with handouts, homework, notes (you will take those right?), etc. is a sure way to get behind or to simply lose out on points because of lost assignments or forgoten homework. So, get yourself a system. Make it work for you and stick to it. Make sure your organization system is expandable. I like to have a 3 ring 1.5" thick binder for every class. The kind with the clear fronts so that I can print up a title page and put it in the sleeve for identification. Works wonders when you are rushed and trying to get the right materials out of a backpack because you can see at a glance what class the binder is for. Get a 3 hole punch. Punch everything that gets handed to you by an instructor, and put it in its place in the binder. Loose leaf 3 ring notebook paper goes great in there for taking notes.

2) As others have said, time management is crucial. Also, keep in mind that the first few weeks are usually on overload with assignments, so it doesn't hurt at all to read the first one or two chapters from all of your text books just to get a jump on things. You might not end up needing to have done it, but from experience I can tell you that in my case 9 times out of ten it helped to be ahead.

3) A lot of your grade in a class can be based on subjective things. Do your very best to present yourself as a student who really wants to learn and who appreciates the opportunity to be in the instructor's class. Not only does that put you in the best frame of mind for learning, but it will help to impress your teacher and they will be more willing to help you out. Try to get to know them at least a little and show them you are friendly and can be relied upon. NEVER show up late. NEVER let you cell phone ring in a class. It disrespects the instructor and your fellow students. I have seen bad things happen to people who don't follow that advice. Related to that, if class gets dismissed early, sometimes that is a great opportunity for you to get some on-on-one time with the instructor to ask questions. Side benefit - they will think you are cool that you don't want to ditch their class even if you are allowed to. I actually had this happen to me today and got some commendation for creating an experimental network lab setup and implementing it with the extra time the instructor had given us. I could have just left like many of the others.

Anyway, hope that helps,

Enjoy college!

LDB

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

ENJOY IT, (thank heavens you're going) and GLAD YOU'RE HERE! Welcome to the forum!

You will learn far, far more from being in college than what is outlined in the course syllabuses. It's a danged fine thing. Sure, there will be some tight spots, but you'll love it.

Congratulations!!!

Baba.

• gordon d
    gordon d

After bustin' my a$$ to maintain a 4.0 I finally realized something...The GPA doesn't really mean a thing (unless your focusing on graduate studies). You're there to learn... PERIOD. Focus on that... relish in the new things that you learn, everyday. Have fun and try and find your personal "Balance point". First few weeks, nothing but academics... slowly add the social scene until it gets out of balance. You've got 4 years... there will be lots of time to have fun.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi SB, and welcome to the forum.

Good for you on going to college. Don't worry about it, just relax and enjoy yourself. There's really nothing to be afraid of, the world outside the watchtower is nowhere near as bad as they say it is.

Good luck!

Linda

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings SB,

No need for you to worry about "worldly people ™ ", There's no such thing. That's just a screwball term watchtower made up to try to scare the sheep.

Dismembered

• SB
    SB

wow am i surprised at the support here! thank everyone for your awesome advice, its been really helpful and i feel really good about college now - it's funny what a little positive reinforcement can do. :) Some of you asked what I am studying - when it's all said and done i will be a nurse. and from what i've gathered so far, studying, taking notes and organizing time is all important?!?!?! good thing i'm really good at highlighting books. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit