College...(don't tell the elders)

by SB 21 Replies latest jw friends

• SB
    SB

Hey all, i'm new to the board, and happy to have found it. I'm going to college for the first time (i'm 25 yrs old). Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the challenge? I'm scared I'll be shocked by the work load, and I still have a little bit of anxiety around "wordly" people...(hey...that would be me now....). :)

Thanks ~ SB.

• becca1
    becca1

Welcome! I'm glad you went back to school. You won't find it any harder than high school. Keep on top of your assignments and don't get behind. It is not the "Sodom and Gomorrah" you've been warned of. There are all types of people just like anywhere else. Choose friends that share your interests and morals. And don't forget to have fun!

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Enjoy your studies.

bczar

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

I'm attending college at age 35 in NYC and am pursuing a B.A. in writing-literature. My advice is just to have fun and take classes that you enjoy. Not sure what your JW status is but getting involved in groups that interest you is a good way to meet people and network. I'm finding that one of the most valuable aspects to attending college is networking with others and using your school's career office as much as possible (for internships, career/major guidance etc). Also try to strive for academic excellence because even more doors open up for you (as well as assists you to win scholarship money).

What is your major or have you decided yet?

Best,

NYCkid

• Mary
    Mary

I'm going to college for the first time (i'm 25 yrs old). Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the challenge? I'm scared I'll be shocked by the work load,

Welcome SB......Well, there's an unwritten rule for college/university: for every hour you spend in class, be prepared to do about 3 hours of research/homework. If you're taking a full course load, you're going to be very busy. If you plan on working part time, you may want to consider taking maybe only 3 or 4 course per semester (you'll still be plenty busy).

College and university can be quite the experience for an Witness or ex-Witness as you're taught to think for yourself and examine things closely---both taboo subjects in Dubdumb land. Are you living on campus or off? Either way, you can certainly meet alot of good people.......best of luck.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I will be going to college to for 1st time after I DA myself shortly. I am in my early 30's. May peace be with you in your quest. peace bru.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Welcome to the board. I am in college right now. I actually recently just moved back in with my parents, so I am working full time, going to their meetings and I am going to school full time. Its hard, but if you take one day at a time you will get through it. If you need to talk, I am here and I can definitely relate. I was on my own for 5 years before moving back in with my parents, my dad is sick again, and I hate being home and cannot wait to get my own place in their town in May, but that's besides the point.

If you need anyone to talk to or relate with, a lot of us are here to listen. Again... Welcome!

• Dune
    Dune

Congrats. I'm a Junior and i think that one of the single most important thing to get down is your time management.

I could handle the course workload of my freshman year but i was wasting time playing video games and watching television. Once you allot time to specific things and stick to them, you'll do extremely well, promise.

~Dune.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Enjoy, don't let it overwhelm you, just take one day at a time, enjoy the people-students, teachers and staff that you meet. Go to activities, get outside of your area of studies enough that you have an expansive world. Mostly enjoy. Learning is fun.

• zagor
    zagor

That's a great news. Good luck and welcome the board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit