Apologists and your perspective of them

Every so often on this discussion board an individual who
    is a devout supporter and defender of the Watchtower
    Society makes there appearance known. In other words,
    an apologist.

Apologists and the issues they support

It is not important to point a finger and call out the names
    of the individuals who engage in such support. What is
    important is to isolate the issues they support.

From past threads, the United Nations issue seems to
    be one of the main issues that apologists defend the
    Watchtower's Society's involvement in.

In addition, the 607 B.C.E and the child molestation topics
    also seem to be two out of the three main concerns of the
    apologists.

Why do they do it?

Anyone who professes to being one of Jehovah's Witnesses
    knows very well that Jehovah's Witnesses are prohibited from
    visiting "apostate" web sites such as this one. So the question
    regarding this discussion is—Why do they do it?

Questions to consider

• Do they come on this web site to solely antagonize individuals?
    • Do they really believe that what they are doing is right?
    • Do you think they are in a state of deep denial?

Please provide your opinions and viewpoints
    for a lively discussion of the matter.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Half the time I think it's a fellow "apostate" trying to be funny.

For real though, when I see/hear the word "Apologist", my ears shut down because I see that as much the same tactic as JWs using the term "Apostate".
    I see it as hypocrisy to take issue with JW ad hominem tactics,
    but then employ the same tactic ourselves. Hypocrisy is annoying.

I view people you refer to as "Apologists" simply as people sharing their views. If they seem authentic, I view them with a mixture of pity (for still struggling with JW influence) and hope (that at least they are talking here instead of at the hall, which is a start).

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Do they come on this web site to solely antagonize individuals?

I think some stumble on this website by accident, and once they find out it's mainly ex jws on here, tend to diappear. Others however, once they realise that this site is such a helpful place for exiting jws to visit, tend to be antagonistic towards posters by instigating pointless discussions which they spin out as long as possible, thus attempting to distract the attention of the more genuine posters on here.

Do they really believe that what they are doing is right?

I suppose they do. Some have come here in the past bringing a message exhorting us to return to jehovah, which has been ignored. I guess they consider it their duty to do that.

Do you think they are in a state of deep denial?

Hard to say, as very few apologists reveal what they really feel about the org. They are, however, going against one of the points of the 7 - part resolution adopted by jws at the district conventions during the summer.

• minimus
    minimus

Some apologists just like to start us going. Others sincerely believe then when the evidence is overwhelming, they face a crisis. Some think they just can beat an apostae with WT. logic.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches
    Do they come on this web site to solely antagonize individuals?

Some do and some don't. There are some of those really arrogant types who feel its okay to abuse exJWs over the internet. Hiding behind a computer is so brave But then you have those who are just plain curious. They can't resist talking to us. Before you came along we had a regular poster Defd/Derrick. He drove me nuts! But it fascinated me that he came here and chatted so regularly with everyone. I wanted to know what made him tick.

Do they really believe that what they are doing is right?

Yes they do! They feel completely fine with chastising people who've left the organisation. They've been told from the platform so many times about how wicked all apostates are. I truly believe some of them honestly grieve that we are no longer active JWs.These are the genuine people.

Do you think they are in a state of deep denial?

Some are so arrogant that the refuse to reason. They ignore what we have to say. Then you have those who read it, you see their responses and you know that its hit home with them. But they don't seem to be able to accept it. I don't know if it is that they are not emotionally ready to accept it or they are scared or some other reason.

P.S. Hows things going with finding a nice girl? I hope you find one!

MissPeaches

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm always amazed at the level of arrogance shown by the apologists as a whole, as well as their general lack of manners, spelling ability, and reasoning. There are exceptions, of course, but by and large that's been a pattern.

I'd guess they are true believers, but probably aren't living up to it themselves. (Or else they wouldn't be associating with us dirty 'postates) We gotta look like fish in a barrel to them with all of their Accurate Bible Knowledge(tm) and Logick(tm). when we don't immediately snap to and salute toward Brooklyn, I think it must offend their sensibilities.

And we're dead in their eyes, so I suppose we don't deserve to be treated like people.

It's times like that when it's hard to remember that I was a "They" once... and of course, that's exactly the right time to remember it.

Dave

• I quit!
    I quit!

Over the years I have spoke with several of them. I really don't understand them. They know all the false teachings of the Watchtower yet they go on defending it. I remember one I used to speak with years ago in the AOL chatrooms. One time I got so mad at his arrogance I told him he deserved to be a Jehovah's Witness. He said something like: "You don't really mean that". It almost seemed like he was hurt when said that to him. Maybe deep inside he knew there was something wrong remaining in the WT. Another one I used to speak with got so frustrated he resorted to telling me and others to go "F" ourselves. Not just once but constantly. I told him he need a break from the the discussion board as we all do at times (it could get pretty heated in there). He told me to go "F myself again. I felt bad for him but couldn't convince him I really was concerned about him. I think overall he was a nice guy. I hope he is out now. I don't know why they can't see the problem telling us that we should be following the WT when there presence on the internet shows they don't listen to them either.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

From time to time "apologists" would come on the board. Some years back there was a certain poster who carried on a long and bitter tirade against everybody here. I read some of his posts from time to time and I don't know how to explain it but he had some obscure reasoning about a certain scripture or two that he held to justify that he had the "truth". I don't think he posts here any more.

They feel because the religion has the name "Jehovah" it MUST be correct. Some of them reason that because he hasn't reached down to strike them down they must have the "truth" - regardless of what goes on there.

I think most apologists find this place by accident. But whether they find this place by accident or on purpose, they are upset and shocked by what they read here. When I was active years ago, I had doubts that would come into my mind but I pushed them out. I feel these people ALSO have doubts which they either try to suppress OR they become militant in trying to defend the religion. Again, they have some obscure reasoning to justify themselves. (I confess that I feel much of their explanations are so much psycho-babble.) All their deep seated doubts about the religion (which they repress) are talked about endlessly here and they can't deal with this. Freedom of speech is what we have here and they are not used to freedom of speech - especially where the religion is concerned.

LHG

• under_believer
    under_believer

Wanderer, something about the way you format your posts creeps me out. Reminds me of a Watchtower article--even has a "points to consider" section.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Underbeliever:

Being in web design gives me the ability
    to design pages in different formats.

However, because this discussion board
    limits my abilities to a certain extent
    the "Awake" format that I use seems to
    be the best at this time.

This discussion board does not really
    accept javascript, absolute positioning,
    or layers, and so it "forces me" into