Apologists--and your perspective of them

by The wanderer 37 Replies latest jw friends

• buriram
    buriram

S o Dubs are posting time on their F/S sheet on an apostate site?......... What would the elders think? So a lot of pioneers must be putting 100 hrs / month easy?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Deep Deep Deep DENIAL

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    Wanderer, something about the way you format your posts creeps me out. Reminds me of a Watchtower article--even has a "points to consider" section.

I said something almost exactly like this on one of his previous watchtower study articles interesting threads. Wanderer, Man, dude, amigo, buddy, sit back and have a beer or whiskey on the rocks (my fav) or something. Loosen the tie. Take the coat off. Hell, change out of the suit altogether man, and reeeelaaaax. I can't even bring myself to read your threads anymore because it is like being in the kh all over again. And trust me, I want to because I know you are a smart guy. I think I might just have to start a thread with your name in the title as an invite and have the thread be about absolutely nothing but friendship and fluff and cute bunnies and things. We could all just hang out and...I don't know...not be so damn serious and formal. I would really like to see you slip the mask off and just be in the moment and enjoy the company here. Hope all that stuff that I wrote doesn't make you grumpy or anything.

• Terry
    Terry

Just a few random thoughts about this subject.

As a devout and avid Jehovah's Witness I was utterly convinced I was "empowered" to tilt at windmills. I was bulletproof because of the Society's indoctrinations, you might say. (At least, in my own mind.)

It is a way of flexing your muscles to take on the obstacles and pit yourself against them (fully "knowing" in advance you cannot lose.)

But, I recall licking my wounds after a bout with a Mormon Elder who had more answers up his sleeve than a magician has aces. In fact, looking back; his answers made more contextual "sense" than mine! That was a setback. However, I never acknowledged I'd found a chink in the armour I was wearing.

I work in the Religion section of a second hand bookstore and I regularly stock the APOLOGISTS section with many interesting books.

Roughly, they fall into three categories.

1."Proving" to people what they already believe by pretending to deflate troubling issues.

2.Mere assertions which are intellectually dishonest consisting mostly of StrawMan fallacies and bluster.

3.Legitmate thinking Christians who acknowledge real problems and default to a "trust God to be true" policy despite all proof to the contrary.

Rarely (and I do mean RARELY) I get a well-written book by an atheist or agnostic author which demolishes the defenses of Christians by resorting to proof, logic, reasoning and exposing historical tampering.

I'd say the APOLOGY is the proving ground of the supreme Egoist ordinarily.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Some are Honest!..Most are Cowards!...OUTLAW

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

The only apologist I won't bother is my mother, because she understands my basic reasons for leaving the organization.

She will never leave - "where else will I go?"-type.

Oh, well.

• NanaR
    NanaR
    Why Do They Do It?

To start their time of course. If you do your first posting at 8:00am, that'll keep you going till you meet the group at the Hall. Hopefully, they'll be doing country territory till 11, then it's coffee break time, then some half assed return visits that you know full well aren't home, till noon. If they come back on here by 12:30, post another insane rant or two until 1:00pm or 2:00 pm, that's 6 hours they got in!

ROFLMAO!!! I think you've got it :-)

• Terry
    Terry
    Some are Honest!..Most are Cowards!...

That is why honest debate is more effective than a controlled autopsy where your opponent is only allowed to say what you put in his mouth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit