Can you get along with a person with a completely different Rel. belief ?

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Can you get along with a person with a completely different religious belief than yours?

Would you even marry a person with a completely different belief than yours?

Is the bible right when it says to marry in the lord only?

• daystar
    daystar

1. Can you get along with a person with a completely different religious belief than yours?

Sure, and do.

2. Would you even marry a person with a completely different belief than yours?

Sure, with qualifications.

3. Is the bible right when it says to marry in the lord only?

There is something to be said for this, but it should not be a hard and fast rule. Real love can overcome all sorts of silly boundaries.

• Dansk
    Dansk

1) Yes

2) yes

3) No

Ian

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Good question; I suppose its down to perspective.

Love means a high degree of acceptance and that includes beliefs; I think its useful and good to share the same or similar beliefs but can also be counter productive as those beliefs can remain unchallenged. A healthy relationship allows you to challenge without attacking and therein lies the difference.

My experience would suggest that it is possible to be with someone who differs in beliefs but (again) its down to the individuals concerned and the respect that they have for each other and their beliefs.

As far as whether the bible is right in saying 'marry only in the lord' I have to disagree. The bible was written by men and largely, (although I agree it has some limited value), it was self serving both in terms of its content and restrictions. You only need to consider the womans role within the bible to fully appreciate this point.

DB74

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Can you get along with a person with a completely different religious belief than yours?

Yes, and I do. I have a pagan/buddhist oriented belief structure. Kevan says he's athiest but he's really agnostic. I have friends who belong to a number of different religions, and we get along fine as long as there is respect, acceptence, or at least tolerance.

Yes, I would and I have.

No, because that is a canon designed for power and control. The "lord" doesnt' care.

Again, if there is love and respect, acceptance or at least tolerance, it's not a problem.

• moshe
    moshe

I was an ex-JW, and former Christian when I got engaged to my present Jewish wife. I spent a year with her family and getting familiar with Jewish beliefs and holidays. I then decided to convert. The only real requirement is a belief in God, unless you go the Orthodox route. Nobody tells a Jew what his belief in God should be like. It makes our family routine easier and definitely less confusing to our daughter for both of us to practice the same faith.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

My former business partner and good friend is jewish (Orthodox).

A month ago I went on vacation with two others. One was from Iran (Moslem) the other is Indian (Hindu). One of my best friends is Fijian but is regularly mistaken for being East Indian.

The last girl I dated was an atheist.

I am a friggin screwed up exjw with no real religious convictions.

The key? No-one in my circle shoves their religious beliefs down any one's throat and we are all respectful of each other's belief's or non-belief.

I have usually found that if someone is having difficulty over one party's religion, one party or both are being arrogant about their own personal belief system.

I associate with human beings who are good to each other and treat others with respect because it is basic humanity not due to some religious belief.

/rant

Uzzah - steeping off soapbox

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

1 Yes, it really doesn't matter what someone believes. It's their personality that counts

2 Yes, of course (although my intended shares my atheism)

3 No, I don't agree with that at all. If two people are in love, religion shouldn't come into it.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I get along with my family every day... although they are not aware that I have different beliefs yet.

But anyway since I'm an atheist I can get along with whosoever I please

So to answer your questions:

1.) Yep. But I think religious people may shun me because I'm an atheist, I would not avoid friendships with anyone because of their beliefs though.

2.) I intend to remain single so, no. But hypotheticaly I would marry anyone I wanted so long as she didn't try to convert me.

3.) No, the bible is full of crap like this, while it would probably prevent a lot of marital problems, it is a horrible idea to make it a sin to marry someone because of their beliefs. My older sister currently has one option for marriage, and he's about average, otherwise she has to travel the country looking for a decent man in another congregation somewhere.

LtCmd.Lore

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I try to get along with everybody.

Marriage is a financial arrangement to share and divide resources at least here in the usa. So unless a woman had a lot of money and wanted to take care of me I wouldnt marry her. If she had a lot of money and wanted to take care of me and she was attractive then her religion my not matter. But I would need more information

What is the bible right about? Its hit and miss. Its interpretation. How can you get in the lord? and who is the Lord? Before you try to live anymore of your life by the bible research who wrote the book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit