Have any of you ever read this account?? How do they explain this away??

by Lady Liberty 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Good morning and "Happy Saturday" everyone!!

I've noticed recently alot of discussion on B-days. I just posted this on another thread, but then thought it deserves its own thread so more may benefit by reading it.

Some time ago my Mom told me about a entire town that was murdered as a Wedding presents by a Pharoh for his daughter who married King Solomon. I had never seen this before, and certainly would not have made this connection but think about it:

If B-days are wrong because only (supposedly) two accounts were recoreded and at both times someone was murdered, then why are wedding gifts, receptions etc. ok. God certainly made sure this account was also recoreded for our benefit..right?? After all that is how they seem to explain away the celebrating of birthdays. Why does the same reasoning not apply using the example of this wedding gift? But the average JW has not idea about this passage..

Anyhow.. just thought it may help someone reason with JW family and friends. Here it is straight from the Watchtower CD-Rom:

1 Kings 9:10-16.

And it came about at the end of twenty years, in which Sol´o·mon built the two houses, the house of Jehovah and the house of the king, 11 (Hi´ram the king of Tyre had himself assisted Sol´o·mon with timbers of cedar trees and timbers of juniper trees and with gold as much as he delighted in,) that at that time King Sol´o·mon proceeded to give to Hi´ram twenty cities in the land of Gal´i·lee. 12 Accordingly Hi´ram went out from Tyre to see the cities that Sol´o·mon had given him, and they were not just right in his eyes. 13 So he said: "What sort of cities are these that you have given me, my brother?" And they came to be called the Land of Ca´bul down to this day.

In the meantime Hi´ram sent to the king a hundred and twenty talents of gold.

Now this is the account of those conscripted for forced labor that King Sol´o·mon levied to build the house of Jehovah and his own house and the Mound and the wall of Jerusalem and Ha´zor and Me·gid´do and Ge´zer. 16 (Phar´aoh the king of Egypt himself had come up and then captured Ge´zer and burned it with fire, and the Ca´naan·ites dwelling in the city he had killed. So he gave it as a parting gift to his daughter, the wife of Sol´o·mon.)

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Here's another one for ya! Sure sounds like Job is having a birthday celebration for his children:

Job 1:4-5

And his sons went and held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day; and they sent and invited their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 And it would occur that when the banquet days had gone round the circuit, Job would send and sanctify them; and he got up early in the morning and offered up burnt sacrifices according to the number of all of them; for, said Job, "maybe my sons have sinned and have cursed God in their heart." That is the way Job would do always.

Job 3:1-3

It was after this that Job opened his mouth and began to call down evil upon his day. 2 Job now answered and said:

3 "Let the day perish on which I came to be born,

Also the night that someone said, ‘An able-bodied man has been conceived!’

Then there is Abraham wh had a big "party" for his son Isaac:

Genesis 21:8:

Now the child kept growing and came to be weaned; and Abraham then prepared a big feast on the day of Isaac’s being weaned.
  • fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Thanks Lady L, I can't say I've ever really looked closely at these accounts, and I doubt the wts would draw too much attention to them, they might be seen as a contradiction of sorts with a couple of their rules.

• Cellist
    Cellist

In my experience the Bible has little impact on JWs, if it's not in the Watchtower then it's suspect. In "Crisis of Conscience" Ray Franz describes his attempt to defend himself using scriptures. To no avail.

But, you never know until you try. It was the contrast between the Bible and the Watchtower that had an impact on me.

Cellist

• mama1119
    mama1119

Its amazing what they pick and choose from the bible to support their rules. They have a way of twisting things and making people believe with out batting an eye.

• Arthur
    Arthur

There is also no scriptural justification for JWs not being allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving. Just as a side point; I have known may JW families (including my own) who have had turkey for dinner on Thanksgiving Day. They said that they were not really celebrating it; but were merely having this large family dinner at a convenient time. I have never heard any objections to this made by traveling overseers, or the organization.

Yet, if a JW merely eats a piece of someone's birthday cake; they are considered to be taking part in the pagan birthday celebration.

• rebel8
    rebel8

LL, this is off topic but just let me say how impressive and fascinating your posts are.

You should donate your brain to science. I think you've got some extra neurons firing than the rest of us.

(wishing there was an "applause" smiley)

I have known may JW families (including my own) who have had turkey for dinner on Thanksgiving Day. They said that they were not really celebrating it; but were merely having this large family dinner at a convenient time.

I spent Thanksgiving at an elder's house once, eating turkey dinner "because it's on sale at the market and everyone has the day off".

• bebu
    bebu
    I have known may JW families (including my own) who have had turkey for dinner on Thanksgiving Day. They said that they were not really celebrating it; but were merely having this large family dinner at a convenient time.
    I spent Thanksgiving at an elder's house once, eating turkey dinner "because it's on sale at the market and everyone has the day off".

It's the THANKING GOD part that they want to avoid, ya know!! They don't want to acknowledge that people outside of the WTS can please God in any way at all, so they'd rather refrain from simply being thankful entirely!

A little off-topic (sorry), but we had my JW friend over a couple years back on T-day. It was my family's turn to host the meal, and we had an incredible feast and a very lavish table setting. Before we sat down to eat, we held hands, stood in a circle and went around and shared one thing we felt especially grateful to God for. We recited events, friendships, good news, etc. Very Satanic, of course. Except for this "giving thanks" with us, she participated as a member in my family. We had a marvelous dinner, full of wine, music, and laughter. She reluctantly excused herself to leave in order to go to the mandatory JW business meeting... Too bad. (She did come back later for pumpkin pie, though! She took leftovers home, too!)

bebu

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

If bad stuff happens to people on birthdays (such as they postulate), it would appear that Satan is the one who doesn't like birthdays, and the wts is simply observing Satan's will.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    wishing there was an "applause" smiley)

Rebel8,

Your wish is my command!! clap1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit