Fireworks night tonight!

by dobbie 34 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Linda, you and Trev arent allowed out of bed to go and stand in the cold watching fireworks. Now get back under the quilt, open that packets of mini quiches and that bottle of asti and make crumbs all over the bed.

what are the fireworks for?

For fun!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Katie, we are having an "us" evening. We've locked up for the night, and won't answer the door until tomorrow morning, though we may answer the phone, up till 10pm anyway.

We have a bottle of Shiraz and a few snacks, such bliss!!! We can hear and see a few fireworks out of the back window anyway,

Linda

• blondie
    blondie

Ever been in the US on 7/4? or even 7/2 or 7/3 depending on what day 7/4 falls on?

Fireworks everywhere, from small towns of 500 to cities of millions, all have their fireworks program.

Because of the patriotic nature, many JWs won't GO and watch them, but they will sit in their backyard or in the front yard and watch.

But that is not the only time you can see fireworks in the US. Disney World and Disneyland have them every night...and no patriotic theme or day.

Then there are JWs that say all fireworks are bad....but that would be like saying that eating turkey is bad because it is associated with Thanksgiving.

Doesn't the WTS Talmud get larger and larger?

Blondie

• buriram
    buriram

Used to love watching fire works night as a kid, another thing we could not celebrate.

• dmouse
    dmouse

We call it 'Bonfire Night' in Leicester - when effigies of Guy Fawkes are burned on bonfires around the country.

Yesterday, some little kids asked me for a 'penny for the guy' for the first time in years! What happened to that tradition?

Do you remember bonfire toffee? Bengal matches? Bangers? Jumping Jacks? Those aeroplane fireworks that shot off the wall in unpredictable directions? Ah the memories!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Flippin eck, I just nipped out to the shop and it's like a battle zone out there! And a thick smog everywhere.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Do you remember bonfire toffee? Bengal matches? Bangers? Jumping Jacks?

Ive just come back from the display down at Gloucester Docks. It was magnificent. I was just telling my daughter about how everyone used to have a bonfire and a guy they burned. My aunty barbara used to make bonfire toffee, toffee apples, pie and peas, and parkin.

Oddly I was always allowed to go to my Aunties over bonfire night, even tho it really wasnt allowed for JW's. I used to LOVE it.

I want a bonfire next year, but we dont have anywhere to have one.

When I was a kid living up north it was always foggy the day after bonfire night, and im sure it was because of all the fires. Oddly, its foggy tonight in Gloucester even tho there are no fires.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I want a bonfire next year, but we dont have anywhere to have one

Maybe we could organise an Apostabonfirefest for this time next year? We could arrange a venue, or just go to an organised display somewhere, then have a meal or go to a pub, or both, later.

Anyone interested?

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Oddly, its foggy tonight in Gloucester even tho there are no fires.

It's smog, trust me, country wide.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

OMG! thats such a cool idea. Id really really love to have a traditional bonfire, with a guy and and sparklers and all the proper food!

In fact my partners dad has a piece of land in Hereford and it would be a perfect spot for a bonfire. Only trouble is its in the middle of nowhere! (its in a tiny village called Pembridge) My partner reckons we could have a bonfire there next year if anyone is interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit