New here

by NanaR 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Anybody have any advice for me on transitioning from one "world" into another? Thanks, Nana R

Welcome, Nana. I will include some tip sheets at the bottom to deal with holidays. As for broadening your social network, how about joining a club or an arts and crafts group? An arts and crafts group would also help you make personalized gifts, even if they are not given on the "day". As for fielding the husband, how about decorating with neutral themes year-round? You could put up clear decorative lights on a tree outside, or artificial ivy and candles indoors, for instance. Another way to bring Christmas in to the home without decorating is to simmer some cinnamon and water on the stove. That way you can break him in slowly without being showy about it.

It's not just JW's, many people get overwhelmed with the holidays. I think the trick is to NOT to think of the activities as a series of obligations. Spend some time thinking about who you would like to honor or remember, what you like MOST about Christmas, and set a realistic limit on what you can spend (if anything). For me, Christmas is magical if it is full of food, friends and family, laughter, and music. Sometimes I just send a card with heartfelt thoughts to my friends. Maybe inviting those you care about most for a nice dinner would be meaningful. Spoiled children cannot be pleased, but I found they all like shopping cards. Besides, it saves me the agony of shopping and the disappointment of rejection. It is a huge treat for me to attend Handel's Messiah at Christmastime. I've never understood the JW rejection of that great music. Every word is directly from scripture.

http://childparenting.about.com/cs/holidays/a/holidayplan.htm

http://organizedchristmas.com/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/10396/helpful_hints_for_stressfree_christmas.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/72175/tips_for_a_stress_free_christmas.html

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Welcome NanaR!

Sorry about posting this on your thread...your nickname reminded me of Julia (who always had us call her "Nana")

Does anyone here know the Bargerons: Ben & Julia, Tim & Rhea, Steve (can't remember his wife's name)?

Ben and Julia were CO and wife for a while. I am out of touch with them and wonder where they have gotten off to.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Oops, meant to start a new thread...

• becca1
    becca1

Welcome Nana!!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Welcome Nana - about that question you asked:

(Here's my question --) "I have absolutely NO life reference for the social world of birthdays and holidays."

You know what? I think you are just in time to do something for thanksgiving. This was always the mystery holiday for me as a fading JW....what in the world was wrong with a decidedly Christian holiday which had no pagan connotations, and was just stated to be a feast to give thanks to God for having enough food to eat?

The best cold water the WT literature could come up with to throw on it was "the worldly Thanksgiving holiday celebrates gluttony". Therefore, let us go forth and sell magazines right at noon, because all those unbelievers will be home that day.

Just as an idea - both my stepkids (who are now mid-twenties and living in California) will be home here in Dallas for Thanksgiving. I asked about the turkey thing, but both of them usually kind of want apricot roasted duck. However, you may want to do the full traditional turkey & dressing thing just for your first time. I would also suggest finding a way to get involved into some "community" effort for this holiday - it really is all about helping others.

We usually have a big ham for Christmas, which lasts well into the New Years Day follow-up.

I'll bet some of the posters here have some great holiday recipes to share!

Welcome, James

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hello and welcome, Nana!

By clicking on my name you can see my profile. It took me a couple of years (fear of what my JW neighbors would think---and NOT fear of what GOD would think) to celebrate holidays, but now I have gone full steam ahead in celebrating and decorating!

It has to "feel right" and comfortable to you and then the rest is history! ENJOY!!!

hugs,

Annie

• crazyblondeb
  • GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

WELCOME!

GGG

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi NanaR, and welcome to the forum, it's great to see you here

• Cellist
    Cellist

Welcome to the board, Nana

Christmas is a time for family and friends. At least, it is here. There is no "correct" way to celebrate Christmas. Normally, gifts are given to the people you care about. They don't have to be expensive or elaborate. It's nicer when they're heartfelt. As far as the meal goes, all the JWs here do it anyway. They get together on Christmas day and have a big turkey dinner. They just don't do it with their family unless their family are JWs. Any other traditions are a matter of taste and local tradition.

Cellist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit