On the fence (first post)

by nonamegiven 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear NoName,

WELCOME to the forum! We are glad to have you here. There are many different types of people here. Even though we don't all agree on things or ideas, most are good hearted people. The one thing most do have in common, wether they were Df'd, D'ad, or faded, and that is they were faithful Witnesses, and have all found out the same things about the organization.

For me, I was trying to PROVE the 607 for Jerusalems destruction, but couldn't do it without using the Societys literature. Of course that date is vital for a JW to believe, for without that date you have no 1914, which means the faithful and discreet slave was not identified.

After months and months of research, I realized that everything I had always believed was being called into question. After researching the organizations history, I was blown away at what I found. I did not take different ones words as fact, but wanted proof for the things I was hearing and finding. Interestingly enough, the facts and proof are not hard to find if you want to find them. Here are a few of the things I found. I had started a list of over 40 things I found, but stopped at around 18 items. Putting these things on paper, was a healing for me. I recently found the list and decided to post it hoping someone may be helped by it. Since it was not written for anything more then "therapy" for myself, I did not put down references. Please feel free to ask if you want any additional references for your own research.

I wish you well no matter what you end up doing. Meantime, enjoy your time here, you will meet many new friends, many who have gone through the same thing as yourself.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Here is the post:

Hello all...

I hope this day finds you all healthy, and happy.

I came acrossed some notes I made many months ago when I was going through the research phase of getting out. My intent was to cover every subject I came across. But... I never finished it. However, there is quite a bit of info. gathered here for any of you who are just starting your journey. Please let me know if you need any more info. on any of these subjects, as I have file folders full of data, and my parents have literal volumns they have put together exposing the organization. Anyhow, I hope this helps someone.. (please excuse the spelling errors)

My Findings With The Organization

1. 586/587 is the destruction of Jerusalem, not 607. There is not proof outside the Societies literature to support that date. It is not in harmony with the scriptures.
    2. There was no governing body until 1975. And in 1975 before the big change, Fred Franz, the then Watchtower President was totally against the change to a governing body. He is taped in a public Missionary talk going into great detail as to how unscriptural it was and not in accord with the early Christians, stating there clearly was no governing body in Bible times.
    3. 1914 was based by Charles Russell by the measurements of the Pyramid of Gehza. He taught that this Pyramid was God’s Stone Witness, and literally measured passages in the tunnel corelating them with Prophecy.
    4. The New World Translation has replaced God’s name in the Hebrew language. However, they have inserted Jehovahs name throughout the Greek Scriptures, and the Greek scriptures never originally had Jehovahs name in them. By inserting Jehovahs name every place where the original manuscripts read "Lord", it many times is inserted where clearly Jesus name should go when reading the context.
    5. Over and over the Society misquotes from secular authorities. This is clearly done to decieve the reader into believing that the secular authority agrees with the thought trying to be conveyed. Such quotes are used to give weight to the material being discussed.
    6. Earthquakes are one of the signs that we are living in the last days according to the Watchtower. The facts clearly show, when examined, that the rictor scale is a fairly recent machine. There has been no way to determine the magnitude and frequency of earthquakes until this machine. Clearly not being very honest with the readers of the Watchtower, because their statements are not based on facts.
    7. Mexico/Malawi incident. During the same time that our brothers in Malawi were being persecuted, raped, tourchered and murdered for not having a "party card", our brothers in Mexico at the same time were bribing the officials for military cards, and that was ok with the Society. Interesting that the "party cards" were much like our social security cards here in the U.S. There was onlyone party in Malawi, so by having this card, they were not taking "sides". But still the Society demanded complete obedience to their policy. Yet far away in Mexico, every Mexican citizen was required at a certain age do become a Mexican militant, and to serve in the military for a length of time. Rather than doing the time, the Witnesses were bribing the officials to give them a card. Thus becoming a Mexican militant. This was ok with the Society, as was being a militant. The Mexican brothers felt very guilty that they were given the "green light " by the organization, yet their brothers in Malawi at the same time were not and they were dying for their stand for Watchtower policy.
    8. The "good news" that the early Christians preached about, as well as Jesus preached of was the "good news" about Jesus. What his life meant and the salvation to all who would just have faith. Today the emphasis is on the Kingdom and the Paradise. If we were to tell ones in the congregation we were speaking of the good news of Jesus, they would think we belonged to the Mormons or another faith. Why had the message changed. Why did the Master Christ Jesus put in place a simple message of salvation for the slave to change that message. What message could ever be greater, than the one he gave his followers?
    9. During the 2 nd World War, the Society behaved in a very disturbing way. They were clearly anti sematic, anti British, and anti American. When you read the literature published at that time regarding what the Nazis were doing it is shocking. For it clearly shows the Society not taking a firm stand, but rather compromising trying to gain ther Nazis favor.
    10. The Society points the finger at other religons who have prophecied and yet the prophecys have failed to come true. Yet they claim that they are Gods prophet and not one prophecy of theirs has ever come true. Be sure not to confuse the prophecy of the Bible that did come true, with prophecy of the Watchtower that has never come true. By their own definition, they are also a false prophet.
    11. If in fact in 1919 the faithful slave was chosen as God’s channel on earth, and Christ Jesus, the Master approved of them, why is it that we do not still teach the things taught back then? Why are they considered, "old light"? Yet it was considered truth for that time. Truth does not revert back to falsehood if it was indeed truth to begin with. Why has the slave rejected what the master had approved of?
    12. In 1925 Bethsarim was built in San Diego for the "princes" that would be resurected and brought back to life on earth. Abraham, Issiac, Jacob etc… Interestingly enough though, this mansion was occupied until their grand return by Rutherford. But their prophecied grand return never came.
    13. Blood doctorine- As long as I can remember the command was to abstain from blood. Now, fractions are ok. Who changed that command? What of all those who have died because they were faithful to that policy? What of all those who needed blood and took blood? Were they invited back into the congregations because now the fractions they possibly took which got them disfellowshipped from the congregation in the first place is now ok?
    14. The light gets brighter excuse for change. When something gets brighter, the light does not get dimmer in the process. Light is added to more light. So something that was wrong, will always be wrong, but there may be continued light as to why it was wrong. But never would light be bright, then get dark, as old ight, being discarded and replaced with something new. Many times the light reverts back and forth back and forth. Clearly these are but mens teachings and not that of Jehovah.
    15. Child Molestation- The Watchtowers policy of two or more Witnesses applies to child molestation. Yet what molester would ever commit such a crime with two or more witnesses? The offender is not turned over to the authorities if there are not witnesses, and the molester is still able to have access to other children in the congregation to repeat, and victimize other children. Unfortunately other parents have no idea abuse or alegged abuse has taken place. There is no way for them to protect their own children.The congregation is a "safe haven" for molesters that should be turned over to the authorities. They are trained in such areas whereas the elders are not. Most of the time the parents of the abused children are told not to go to the authorities as it would bring reproach of Jehovahs name. They are told to keep silent.
    16. Christ’s reign was supposed to have began in 1799, 1873, 1874, 1878, 1914.
    17. Organ transplants were once considered cannibalism. Now they are a conscience matter. What about all those that took a heart transplant etc. against organizational policy. Now that it is a conscience matter, are those who were disfellowshipped for taking a transplant, are they reinstated into the congregation? Or are the still banished from family and friends?
    18. U.N. involvement. The Society has for years called the U.N. the Wild Beast. And no Christian was to have any participation in it whatsoever. Yet, for 10 years the Society secretly was a NGO member. Their claim was that this was done in order to recieve a library pass to the U.N. library. However, they did not need to join as a NGO member but rather only needed to fill out a application and a letter of recommendation in support of the research. The application is approved and sent to U.N. Security. The U.N checks the application and if approval is granted, instructs the Pass office to issue a library pass for the applicant. The issuance of a library pass is independent of NGO status or any other status. The Society only disassociated themselves after they were exposed. Then made the claim that they had to register as a NGO to have a Library card. Yet how many did they disfellowship for interfaith such as joining the local YMCA? For voting etc…

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

WELCOME, NoName!!!

Hello and welcome to the board. You have LOTS and LOTS of great folks to talk to here. And you know what? We won't judge you... whether you want to be a Witness or not.

Take your time. Take a breather. Use this time to learn what you have never BEEN ALLOWED to investigate before.

We are happy you are here.

hugs
    Baba

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

LadyLiberty,

can you (or anyone else) please give me some examples for # 5???

BTW, thanks for your support all, I appreciate it.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

Sometimes in the quest for truth you have to make some difficult decisions...and even sacrifices.

Perhaps you should try going ahead,,,hoping the whole time they will come to their senses and come running back after you...as now you seem to be half-heartingly walking a bit to catch back up to them.

You can go backwards to "get even" with someone...or you can just keep your grit and determination up and focus on becoming "ahead". and keep telling yourself...that you may not be able to see into the future and view the results of this kind of decision...but getting even or catching up is not working...nor producing the results you are looking for.

That is my guess and my advice that I also follow as closely as I possibly can.

• Sam87
    Sam87

Lady Liberty -

I have to say that was an awesome post, labeling everything 1. 2. 3. 4. ect. its an easy way to read through the terrible things the org has done.

great post!

Sam87.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

LadyLiberty,

can you (or anyone else) please give me some examples for # 5???

BTW, thanks for your support all, I appreciate it.

Welcome to the other side, noname, and thanks for choosing JWD as your board! I am still in the congregation, but you know what? I am no longer mentally bound by the arbitrary rules of men. I am freed, and you can be too. I will hook you up with an example of misrepresentation. Here's one about the blood issue: ajwrb.org has a link to "Jehovah's Witnesses, Blood Transfusions, and the Tort of Misrepresentation." You can follow the link to get the .pdf file.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome noname.

I'm taking this time to really disect every teaching from many perspectives to get a REAL idea of what the bible says.

I as being pushed to do more in the congregation and so decided that I could only devote myself once more to the organization after proving it really was the truth. Once you start studying the bible with publications that are not printed by the WTS you will very quickly find that the entire doctrinal structure of being a JW is false. There will be no way that you can go back.

I have a lot of the research I did at jwfacts.com and after reading what is there I strongly doubt you will be able to be a wholehearted JW again.

In regards to your question to Lady Liberty about misquotes, the Watchtower is filled with selective quoting to make a point, careful wording to direct the reader to a wrong conclusion, and occasionally outright misquoting. A classic example is the Trinity brochure.

For instance the Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics is quoted by the Trinity brochure as saying “At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian…” The sentence actually said “At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian in the strictly on theological Reference.” This is a very different meaning.

Jesuit Edmond Fortman is quoted in a way to makes it appear that he supports the Watchtower view. In reality he is a firm believer in the Trinity.

On page 6 the booklet quotes Fortman as saying;

“ ‘The New Testament writers. . . give us no formal or formulated doctrine of the Trinity, no explicit teaching that in one God there are three co-equal divine persons...”.

What Fortman actually says is;
    “They give us no formal or formulated doctrine of the Trinity, no explicit teaching that in one God there are three co-equal divine persons. But they do give us an elemental trinitarianism, the data from which such a formal doctrine of the Triune God may be formulated.”

Bernhard Lohse is mis-quoted in a similar way.

New Encyclopaedia Britannica is quoted as saying “Neither the word Trinity nor the explicit doctrine appears in the New Testament.” This dishonestly puts a period where there is actually a comma in the original. This misquote results in the sentence making a different point than that intended by the writer, if one reads the entire sentence.

On page 4 the booklet includes the quote “The Encyclopedia Americana notes that the doctrine of the Trinity is considered to be ‘beyond the grasp of human reason”. Again, the real quote means something entirely different, as it actually says:

“It is held that although the doctrine is beyond the grasp of human reason, it is, like many of the formulations of physical science, not contrary to reason, and may be apprehended (though it may not be comprehended) by the human mind”.

On page 6 it quotes the New Catholic Encyclopedia as saying “And the doctrine of the Holy Trinity is not taught in the O[ld] T[estament].” Once again the full quote is:

“The doctrine of the Holy Trinity is not taught in the OT. In the NT the oldest evidence is in the Pauline epistles, especially 2Cor. 13: 13, and 1 Cor. 12: 4-6. In the Gospels, evidence of the Trinity is found explicitly only in the baptismal formula of Mt. 28, 19. … In many places of the OT however, expressions are used in which some of the Fathers of the Church saw references or foreshadowings of the Trinity.”

p.4 - ENCYCLOPEDIA AMERICANA

Booklet:"the doctrine of the Trinity is considered to be 'beyond the grasp of human reason'."

Source: The complete quote is:

"It is held that ALTHOUGH the doctrine is beyond the grasp of human reason, it is, like many of the formulations of physical science, not contrary to reason, and may be apprehended (though it may not be comprehended) by the human mind."
    So the Encyclopedia is comparing the degrees of mental perception, apprehension vs. comprehension, and does not state that the doctrine is "contrary" to reason - but BEYOND our fullest understanding.)

The Watchtower writers also ignored a statement on the same page of the Encyclopedia that disputes the idea that the Trinity doctrine is pagan. It says:

"It is probably a mistake to assume that the doctrine resulted from the intrusion of Greek metaphysics or philosophy into Christian thought; for the date upon which the doctrine rests, and also its earliest attempts at formulation, are much older than the church's encounter with Greek philosophy."

p.4 - A DICTIONARY OF RELIGIOUS KNOWLEDGE

Booklet: "Precisely what the doctrine is, or precisely how it is to be explained, Trinitarians are not agreed among themselves."

Source: Just prior to this statement the book says:

"It is certain, however, that from the apostolic times they paid worship to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, addressed to them their prayers, and included them in their doxologies."

and after the quote it states:

"It is not possible for the human intellect to comprehend fully the divine nature. The Bible represents God to us as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. It represents them as equally entitled to our highest reverence, affection, and allegiance."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

A very warm welcome to you.

Honey, do yourself a favor and get yourself a copy of Crisis of Conscience and read it. Leave no stone unturned in your quest for facts.

It's not an accident that you're here. Count yourself lucky to have found this site. You're going to figure out that the governing body cannot take away the entire brother/sisterhood from you just because they kicked you out. We still have that bond, only it's better because we can be real and not worry that our friends will abandon us. The society asks you where will you go? You have all these brothers and sisters out here, waiting for you with open arms. And our welcome in unconditional. We love you no matter what. We aren't fair weather friends.

Dude, you can talk to anybody you want right now. They are the ones who can't talk.

Gary, you are so cool.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Double post. Oops, darn enter key. Push it one too many times and you get a dp. I'll just offer you a hug. You sound like you could use one.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi noname, and welcome to the forum. If you are looking for support and friendship, you have come to the right place.

You might be interested in these links to Greek and Hebrew Scholars opinions of the New World Treanslation. Thw watchtower quoted some of these men to support the translation, but in many cases the quotes were out of context with what they actually said:

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/nwt.htm

http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-Mantey.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit