Born Gay?

by Sam87 67 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

I believe folks can be born gay. I knew a person with a penis & virgina ...I have seen a body with two heads -both heads think differantly, this week twins were born one black one white, anther set joined together at the brain.... So why cant gays be born thinking & acting opposite to what bigots think they should act like.... My 2 cents.

• Woofer
    Woofer

I have a friend who is a lesbian and she told me she remembers have crushes on girls when she was in kindergarden and in first and second grade. I think she was probably born gay. . .I'm not sure kids that young can "choose" be be attracted to the same sex.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Sam87 - you are badly misinformed. I take it you've never known someone gay, or you've never had a conversation about sexual orientation with someone who is gay. I don't mean to be a jerk, just making an observation.

Believe me, it is not a choice. I am attracted to guys and I have been as far back as I can remember. When I was going through puberty, all my friends were talking about girls, but I just had no interest. Instead, I was looking at my male friends. I had no idea what was wrong with me and I figured that maybe it was just something I was going through. But as I matured and was able to deal with my internal feelings more clearly, I knew I was gay, and not going through a phase. I have no control over who I'm attracted to any more than you do. Actually coming out and telling people I'm gay and being able to act on my attractions was the most liberating thing in my life. I tried to force myself to date women and I hated every minute of it, but I kept telling myself "maybe I just haven't found the right one." On my first gay date I felt like I had an epiphany. I finally felt right. I was finally excited to go on dates. From that moment on, there was no question.

Sam - did you choose to be attracted to women? Did you ever wake up one morning and ask yourself "Hmmm... should I be gay or straight?" No, you didn't. I didn't either.

• Genesis
    Genesis

It seems that people are born gay but what puzzle me is bisexual people. Did they choose to be bisexual to experiment their sexuality ? I read somewhere that every women are born bisexual but few can live with it, I wonder if its true. Theres a lot more bisexual women than bisexual men, why so?

• greendawn
    greendawn

My opinion is that it is something genetic rather than environmental, how many people tried and succeeded in going from homosexual to heterosexual? It seems to be very deeply seated and ingrained in their nature.

• lowden
    lowden

There must be some kind of predisposition.

My nearest sibling (slightly older brother) is gay and he struggled as a teenager. He tried to be hetro' but couldn't, it crucified him because he knew society wasn't accepting gay men (25 yrs ago). He cried buckets of tears until he found the courage to accept that society was wrong, not him.

I have no doubt that he was predisposed to being gay, like i am predisposed to be straight. For him there was no choice in the matter.

Peace

Lowden

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    My nearest sibling (slightly older brother) is gay and he struggled as a teenager. He tried to be hetro' but couldn't, it crucified him because he knew society wasn't accepting gay men (25 yrs ago). He cried buckets of tears until he found the courage to accept that society was wrong, not him.

Its very similar to gender in my view; you are born the way you are regardless of the body you are contained within and to deny what you are is harmful and often can be fatal (in terms of depression and suicide). A useful book to trawl through is Whittle, S (Ed) The Transgender Studies Reader, London, 2006. It encompasses gender issues and queer theory too.

Its a tad academic but then again, if you are to form a view on this subject then you must be prepared to consider the leading authorities.

DB74

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Sam87

What you believe about the determination of sexual orientation isn't really that relevant unless you can back it up with decent research and evidence. Opinion is one thing, demonstrable fact another.

Homosexuality is common in nature and represents part of the spectrum of normal sexual behaviour observed in the wild.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6066606.stm

http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/explorer/031225377X/2/ref=pd_lpo_ase/104-7435113-9905542?

There is as yet no final agreement WHY homosexuality occurs. There is the genetic argument;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation

If one meta-analyses available research one gets a figure of about 36% as regards the heritability of the behaviour; in other words choice or environment (including pre-natal environment) is twice as strong in determining sexuality than genetic pre-disposition.

There is also a strong possibility that the level of hormones in the womb play a strong role in determining sexuality;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenatal_hormones_and_sexual_orientation

Additionally it seems that there must be some non-choice factor involved in a sizable number of homosexuals as there are identifiable differences between heterosexual physiology and homosexual physiology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality#Physiological_differences_in_homosexual_persons

Away from the arena of research, anecdotally we find many homosexuals feel they always were homosexual from when they first had sexual or 'pre-sexual' feelings.

Is it important to you whether homosexuality is choice or not?

I love science, have studied human sexual behaviour, but couldn't give a flying act of copulation whether it is choice or not. I've just had these discussion SO often it's rather easy to trot out the facts.

1. Homosexual and heterosexual sexual intercourse is, from the ages of consent set by law, sexual activity between two (or more) people who can competently consent to the activity.
    2. Such sexual activity between two or more people does not harm uninvolved parties, whether that sexual activity is homosexual or heterosexual.
    3. Thus even if people were choosing to be gay or straight, it doesn't matter a damn as they do no harm to uninvolved parties by that choice.

Thus, no matter what the conclusion of science is, what's the big deal?

What often gets missed in conversations about homosexual sex is LOVE. Some people get so totally bogged down in genitalia they lose sight of the love; they "can't see the love for the genitals" I suppose.

This is further highlighted by the fact some men think homosexuality is 'wrong' and 'un-natural', but like the idea of two women together, or like the idea of anal sex (with a woman). Not that anal sex necessarily has anything to do with being gay in the mind of someone who knows a bit, but to the above mentioned group it's synonymous.

This is very sad, as to most gay people, just like to most straight people, the person you LOVE is most important in life. In this respect gay and straight are identical.

Even when homosexuals have fought the law and won the right to be gay without threat of legal interference, the fact it is about LOVE is clearly shown by gay marriage being a very important issue to many gay people; they want the rights and protection and RECOGNITION for their relationship, their love, that heterosexuals can get without a second thought.

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

This is such a dumb thread. Why would someone choose to be gay? Its not like its easier or something.

PEOPLE ARE BORN GAY!!!! JUST ACCEPT IT

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

If homosexuality can be learnt or chosen, do those of us who are heterosexual believe that under different circumstances, we could have been homosexual?

Well?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit