Did you go to meetings while on vacation?

by LovesDubs 36 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My parents would visit halls on vacation.

They would say "You never take a vacation from Jehovah".

I remember that saying. Most of the time I would not go to meetings on vacation. But I know at least once or twice I did, as I would visit friends that moved to Florida and they expected me to go to their meetings as I would stay at their house.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Not usually, But at least 1 time while visiting friends who had moved to Florida. I think we were scoping out the area to move their and wanted to see how the congregations were.

sorry about the double post.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

stillajwexelder - you got the connection. MeneMene Tekel Peres is the Writing on the Wall - where do I know Tekel Parsin from? Harry Potter? Anyway you guys are just great. I heard about Freeminds.org and had been reading a lot there and just found this site a few weeks ago. I disassociated myself many years ago (30 or so) but still have family in. I am shocked (and glad) to see all the JWs and Elders on here. I just hope they can creat some independent thinking from within. Wish I had thought of that before I left. What fun I could have had.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Yes we did and also our vacations were usually at assemblies. I even went to an assembly on my honeymoon back in 1957.(my first marriage) My mother, aunt and some cousins were in a car wreck which killed two nuns going to that assembly in Hollywood Fla. Someone came to my motel door and told us about the wreck and we had to go to the hospital to see them. They were at two different hospitals. A JW layer got a settlement from the Catholic church and my aunt and mother used it to pioneer for a few years.

Ken P.

• EyesOpened
    EyesOpened

Not sure if a Honeymoon qualifies, but....

We got married on a Friday evening - so that many of the friends would not miss service on Sat to travel to our wedding.

Our wedding reception consisted of cake and opening presents, no music, no dancing, no alcohol - over by 10pm. Also, the fact was we were so very poor, since we both worked part time in order to pioneer...

On Saturday, we didn't know what to do since no chaperone - we ended up doing dinner and a movie - Rocky IV.

On Sunday - we went to the circuit assembly!!!!

On Monday - we went home and went out in service as married regular pioneers...

YUCK!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

No, I went on vacations when I should have been at the meetings!

Outaservice

• snarf
    snarf

Heck no !!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

They would say "You never take a vacation from Jehovah".

I got so tired of hearing that!!!!!!!

The year I got baptized hubby and I went away for a week and "meetings" never crossed my mind. The next year we all went camping and never went to a KH.....and "heard about it" when we returned home. Running to meetings and having to "prepare FOR" meetings (as well as gulping supper down in order to be at the KH twice a week) was what I was taking a vacation FROM, haha!

As MeneMene said.....these assemblies/conventions WERE our vacations from then on! They always came when my nonJW hubby had his vacation form work...and I ended up taking the kids and going one place, while he packed up and went camping/fishing somewhere else. It used to irritate the daylights out of me every year! (But it never occured to me to NOT GO to the assembly and go with my hubby instead!) Don't ASK me where my head WAS for 30 long years!!!!

Hello and welcome, MeneMene!

• reganashe
    reganashe

Well we actually never went to meetings on vacation because my dad was not in the "truth" but we did have to study the watchtower or what ever else for the meeting we were missing.

• bubble
    bubble

Hell no!

And even my super spiritual mum doesn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit