First law of thermodynamics vs God vs Big Bang

by EndofMysteries 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you viv for bringing some facts to the discussion.

Faith-based thinking has lost the war in biology - only a few crackpots still deny evolution. Instead we now frequently see people who don't have a clue about physics abusing it to try to support faith.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

ok once and for all,

where did all matter COME FROM, to do all these things.

and where would God have COME FROM if it was A GOD?

something doesn't come from nothing no matter what we think right?

its truly IS a mystery.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    starting from zero, you would have to push I unit and pull another unit the other way to get the 2 unit separation. just because the thing snaps pack to zero, when your exertion stops, does not take away from the fact that two units were required to bring about the interesting "There is something" state. 2what? fisherman;--- 2 halves of the immense energy embodied in the Universe.

Yeah. No. That's just stringing words together in a nonsensical way.The total energy of the universe is zero.

• done4good
    done4good

Scientific laws apply within known parameters. They are only absolute within those parameters, (in this case, the known universe). The first law of thermodynamics is just one such law. Since the big bang is considered to be the "beginning" of the known universe, it would be logically incorrect to assume this law would have governed the the big bang itself. In other words, the big bang is largely responsible for the creation of such laws. (Edit: This explanation is somewhat oversimplified, but this is the general idea).

This is the very idea that gives birth to the "multiverse" concept, widely adopted by modern physicists. Other universes likely exist, and are not governed by the same laws that govern ours.

d4g

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Since the big bang is considered to be the "beginning" of the known universe, it would be logically incorrect to assume this law would have governed the the big bang itself. In other words, the big bang is largely responsible for the creation of such laws.
    Other universes likely exist, and are not governed by the same laws that govern ours.

That is one of the greatest questions in physics. If there are other universes, could they have other rules? Are the rules we see in this universe a consequence of existence, could they be different or are these rules we see around us the only possible configuration? What drives the rules being what they are?

No one knows, but they are trying to find out!

• Half banana
    Half banana

Sowhatnow, yes it truly is a mystery but I can explain it away rather than know! I am not a physicist as others will note but this is how it could be spun.

Imagine billions of years ago the simple hydrogen atom (which at the sub-atomic level is only bound-up energy after all) and energy in equilibrium, not created, just there, swirling around space forming pockets of stronger potentialities in one place and weaker in others. Just as there must have been small zones of attraction and repulsion through the polarity differences or charge, there could also be large potentialities. Given cosmic time this could build up to stupendous velocities and charge and without a magic-maker-man, matter could be created, as Mr Einstein has proved.

(corrections always welcome!)

Next question: how did the energy get there?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Next question: how did the energy get there?

The total energy of the universe is zero. And, it appears that there is no such thing as nothing, an absence of everything and anything and that, were it possible to create such a thing, it's incredibly unstable.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Evolution has clearly shown us there is no need for a god to take simple life to complex life and 'fill the earth' with life. Studies of the origin of life are still lacking as it seems difficult to make nonliving matter cross over. But science will figure that out one day, perhaps millenniumso from now when it can be observed on a lifeless world about to have lightning strike it's primordial soup (or volcanic action or whatever ).

As far as the big bang, some of the people in science are strutting like a peacock in saying they got it all figured out. That's a shame because they don't. But I am satisfied that their various theories are causing much more investigation than stopping at "God did it" ever will. They have shown that a god isn't the needed ingredient.

keep in mind that there really is no such thing as eternity to the past of the universe. Time was meaningless until it was started by the big bang. So our limited minds are thinking of what we perceive and we come up short. I find it easier to understand matter-energy and antimatter-energy coming into existense by scientific explanations than I do by the "God did it" answer that leads us to a dead end.

But since the mind is limited and finds this so difficult, I usually don't argue the very first cause. Instead, I accept the proofs that the gods of mankind's understanding do not exist and I say that if any supernatural power can influence our lives (or afterlives) then he/she/it is free to reveal such to us in a clear way. Until then, we need to keep looking for answers that are on a path we can actually continue down.

• Simon
    Simon

Laws that apply at "our" level don't always apply in quite the same way at the macro level of the universe especially at the extremes of space / time.

All angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees right? Well, yes - in Euclidean space but not necessary in big Space space.

Trying to explain anything using "magical creature always existed" isn't really explaining anything at all.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    German theoretical physicist Arnold Sommerfeld, having previously written a series of books in physics: mechanics (1943), electrodynamics (1948), optics (1950), etc., was asked why he had never written a book on thermodynamics?
    Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two small points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to it, it doesn't bother you anymore.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit