First law of thermodynamics vs God vs Big Bang

by EndofMysteries 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    It disturbs me very much trying to understand it.. Correct my thinking..
    Something to consider but ultimately the conclusion is personal
    - Fisherman

In the absence of evidence we shouldn't draw conclusions. When we don't know the answer to something the correct response is, "I don't know." And the problem is you're seeking a answer to a question we don't yet have the answer to. One of the hallmarks of disciplined mind is the ability to handle uncertainty well.

If you genuinely want to correct your thinking, I recommend the following exercise: For the next day or two, online and in real life, I want you to start using the phrase, "I don't know" as much as reasonably possible. With different people when you're asked a question you don't really know the answer to - or even questions you do know the answer to but can get away with feigning ignorance - say, "I don't know" and leave it there. Don't qualify the statement. Don't add anything else. Just say "I don't know" and then full stop.

I know it sounds like a simple task but trust me when I say it's an incredibly informative experience. And it's more than a bit liberating too. JWs are taught they know the answer to everything. It takes a while to deprogram such a deeply ingrained belief/need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlYvAylgaQ4

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Code,

You are right. There is a difference between believing and knowing. A person can even fool himself into believing he knows something. Note that erroneous thinking or even correct thinking does not always result in knowing. Knowing means facts not interpretation of them. Case in point:

A jury is required to examine evidence and make a decision from the evidence. There is DNA, testimony, a recorded confession, arguments, common sense. All of the evidence is so persuasive that there can only be one verdict or conclusion from the evidence. The problem is that the jury cannot say I do not know even though that it is a fact that they do not know. They can say though that the evidence that is presented to them establishes the verdict. In any case you will always hear this being said: "I know he did it "

This is a great book :by Deborah J. Bennett "Logic made easy"

I also agree that a disciplined mind does not jump to conclusions. Feigning knowledge and lack of it is lying but I remember that many years ago in the office I worked, after lunch, our team got together everyday to solve the Times crossword puzzle and we had to put in words that we were not sure of and try them out until we solved the puzzle.

This is an example of how one can be sure something is a fact. Suppose you saw lightning strike once on a point. It is a coincidence (need I say more?) A second time same spot (this requires further investigation) a third time (I need more proof) a fourth time, a fifth time, a sixth time, seventh, eight, nine, ten until, your mind is convinced (or whatever YOUR mind needs to be convinced something is true) You know that it is not a coincidence. Some people do not need so much evidence but that is irrefutable evidence forcing YOUR mind to accept as fact. I mean this only as an example of how someone can be personally convinced something is true. In a lab you observe and measure. A word of caution, observing something and deriving something from the observation is not the same.

When I asked you to correct my thinking, I meant in understanding objectivelly the theory of how 0 became something. ( nothing wrong with trying to understand a theory). Very interesting how you said that nothing became more complicated.I have seen your posts on evolution. You referenced a long list of scientists and associations. That is quite a burden! I also watched the video you linked on it and others.

You have made your point regarding knowing and faking it. Also, Your honesty regarding the theory of nothing (not knowing) is noted. With appreciation. Fish

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I had a problem understanding that teaching because I thought that if something physical existed as a singularity as astronomical its size nevertheless it was finite of limited size, it had some definite measurement( although impossible to measure) I also had a problem understanding the laws of the singularity and how and why it changed and exploded.

What huh? Can you re-do that sentence?

I also had a problem understanding the laws of the singularity and how and why it changed and exploded. I also had a problem understanding that the singularity existed before time. It is very disturbing not being able to understand it when I gave it thought
    I cannot understand how anything physical can be infinite,

You've defined your problem at the outset when you wrote " I did not do much research"

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    < You are probably right, doing the kind of research you suggest could be the solution. Seems to me that your latest post show that you have learned "something" from the dialogue posted on this Forum > No point to continue to use this Forum as a tool for research. Take care ^V^
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Seems to me that your latest post show that you have learned "something" from the dialogue posted on this Forum

How to spot trolls?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Time??? What the f*** is time? Who even thinks about it, except humans? The sun rises and sets, we live, love, laugh, dream, and die.

Time is just something that we run out of.

DD

• Caedes
    Caedes

How do you reconcile Newtonian physics with Einsteinian with Quantum Mechanics? Are Bible documentations of "miracles" an other Bible reported phenomenons facts or myths? And how do you know?

Fisherman

Newtonian physics is already reconciled with relativity. At the moment physicists cannot reconcile quantum mechanics with relativity, anyone able to do so would be on their way to pick up their Nobel prize. That is one of the biggest unsolved problems in physics today.

Since the bible is a collection of stories handed down by word of mouth I would not describe them as "documented", I presume you have played Chinese whispers at some point? It is a natural part of being human to exaggerate our stories to make them more interesting. With this in mind I can easily discount biblical "miracles" as simply tall tales that have grown into supernatural tall tales over time. If you don't have empirical evidence and it sounds too good to be true then it is too good to be true. It is also worth remembering that the bible was written much later in time than the events described.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    I didn't know we had so many PhD Physicists on this board.
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Many claim this is all covered and easily understood by reading a basic 8th grade science book or something similar.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Many claim this is all covered and easily understood by reading a basic 8th grade science book or something similar.

If by "many" you mean "no one at all ever", then yes.

You learn something new every day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit