Shattered Lives—The Watchtower Trauma and your Healing Process

by The wanderer 21 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

No harm, Outlaw.

I know that some people will tell a quadraplegic, "Yeah, yeah, a drunk driver made you this way. Just get over it and move on."

That's not always easy or possible. The best therapists will help that person start healing, though, while acknowledging his anger.

We always need to use care with our comfort for others.

I am happy that we are able to post here, and occasionally offend someone, but be able to put that behind us.

I have never been offended by any remarks here, as they are nothing compared to what the WTS has done to me.

• solo
    solo

onthewayout: what you say about blame is interesting. I look on it much like jealousy and hate, the only person who is really damaged by these emotions is usually the person feeling them. What does blame actually achieve? If you feel wronged should you allow it to stop you moving on?

just get over it and move on: I could not agree more, this is exactly what I did and I have benefited enormously from doing so. I completly turned my back on jws and got on with my life. But everyone is different, still I think my advice would be to move on, but admittedly getting over if can be a lot more difficult and take a long, long time.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Fully agree, Solo

Blame is a normal reaction. It doesn't do much good, but we can't say "Don't do it." to everyone.
    What is important is to go through the entire process, just like grieving.

I forget the exact order- Denial, guilt, anger, acceptance. Something like that.

No matter how difficult, we need to get to acceptance. Forgiveness is somewhere after that.
    And no matter where we are at in the process, we need to start living a normal life.

I have an obsession with the JWD right now, but I am going to let it die down soon.
    I am going to switch to exercise, hobbies, work as my outlet and just check back here less often.

Soon, I will. I am still at the anger point, because I am still early in my journey on the way out, but
    much of me is able to accept that individuals in the WTS have no anomosity toward me. They were
    not out to waste my life, they thought they were helping. They are just victims of the Evil Empire, like me.

• TopHat
    TopHat

My advice: Don't let the elders shame you into NOT thinking for yourself. If you ask a question and the elders can not answer, or they feel you are questioning the GB: They will almost always make you feel like you are insulting Jahovah... That is just not the case: Keep on seeking and searching the scriptures and you will find what you are looking for, if you have an open mind.

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

Wow, I feel kinda lucky.

I guess I caught it early enough that it didn't really do any damage to me mentally. Sure, there's my mother, whom I despise, but I forgive her. Or, at least I WILL, once I turn 18, and have a reason to be happy enough to forgive.

I didn't have enough time to get baptized (I never really wanted to anyway, now I know the reason). And I never got into a relationship, only to realize after a few children that it was all a lie, only to tear our family apart because she won't listen to logic.

Or even worse, treating my children terrible, because they leave the truth as soon as they hit 18, and I don't listen to thier logic.

And at maximum, sitting on my deathbed, thinking over all the years, and suddenly realising it was all a waste. I get nothing from it. I might have even destroyed the lives of others in the process. My children hate me, I'll have never seen my grandchildren.

But I caught it early. So that makes me very lucky... And I hope the best to those that need it. I don't really understand what goes on with you, so I won't say what to do. But good luck with whatever advice you choose to follow.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm not a JW, but I am intimately involved with one JW, my husband. I also have a history of overcoming tragedy, manipulation, and abuse.

If we can get them in time, I'd advise exiting JW's to have a plan before they leave. Sever their financial ties and other obligations with individual JW's. Set up a private bank account and start saving a nest egg. You'd be amazed how many live at home, work for another Witness, or in some other way are dependent on a Witness. This makes leaving doubly traumatic. Reduce the trauma of the event as much as possible, I say.

The second thing I'd advise them to do is start building a separate social network away from the Witnesses. A JW who leaves suddenly may still distrust "worldly" people and avoid them. This leaves the person completely socially isolated. I think the WTBTS depends on social isolation to convince "straying sheep" to grovel back to the society. It is a cruelty to shut off a person from all social contact. We're built for it, we need it. So prepare ahead of time and get used to regular people. It will soften the blow when you have to leave.

The third bit of advice, for the first year, is not to jump in to another belief system as "the truth". If you need a biblical reason for it, read up on the purpose of the Sabbath, Sabbaticals, and the "Year of Jubilee". Your mind needs a rest, away from too much outside influence. Read books outside your normal sphere, observe nature and other people, and spend some time absorbing what is real and true. Here are some books that made me think:

Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Becoming Human by Jean Vanier

...and for those who can tolerate self-help books,

Adult Children of Abusive Parents: A Healing Program for Those Who Have Been Physically, Sexually, or Emotionally Abused by Steven Farmer

This fourth book reminds me another thing. JW's are conditioned to take on all sorts of burdens that are not their own. They are guilted in to not disappointing their parents. They are told that the consequences of leaving (shunning, lost priveledges and status for parents) are entirely their fault. They seem compelled to tall sorts of personal information to the elders and fellow congregation members. The line of individuality and personhood is blurred. Many questions a JW asks is just plain rude. You don't have to answer everything. "That is none of your business" is an answer.

You don't have to meet with the elders if you don't want to. Elder meetings are never a fair fight, as they will never discuss a contentious issue with you without another elder present. If you balance the equation by bringing along a friend, they may cancel the meeting altogether. I've heard of so many cases where the elders have put their own spin on those meetings afterwards, and I can guarantee they did not make you look pretty. Why buy in to their whole judicial structure? Walk away.

• dido
    dido

I think that the healing process has stages. If you were d/f then you feel guilty because you still believe that it was `all true` and you have `sinned`. If you d/a that is a different matter, as you have reasoned over a period of time that it isn`t the `truth`. I can only speak as a d/f person, altho` i wished that i had d/a myself after what i have now learned. First of all i felt `lost` thrown to the wolves, to a world that i had been told that i couldn`t be part of, and there i was, all alone, no jw friends, no worldly friends, totally alone. How cruel is that? It` s like putting someone on an island, after they have lived in a city, and leaving them there to get on and cope. I didn`t realise that there was a world of ex`s out there, i knew that people were d/f all the time, but it didn`t register how many. I suffered on my own for 4 years, finding work, supporting myself and gradually met some`worldly` people, mainly women as that is what my job entailed. I made friends, but they didn`t understand where i was coming from, and only had so much in common with them. Then i got a computer and started to look on there and found a site for ex jw`s in my area. They then told me about sites like this one, altho i never came on here as i thought it was for jw`s not ex`s, until they said it was more for faders and ex`s. Since then i have healed, slowly but surely by educating myself about the wts, and that is what has freed me from their clutches. I also read a few classic exjw books, Cof C, and Diane Wilson, which helped me on my way. Now i know that it is an evil cult that wants to control people`s lives for the benefit of their $ and power hungry individuals, who can`t get it anywhere else, (altho` there are genuine ones). So all i can say to anyone who is in the process of healing is to get an education about the history of the jw`s and that will free and heal you.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Even though I have been out of the Borg for over 20 years, the healing didn't really start till I got here. Over the years I have medicated myself to keep from feeling or dealing with anything. I've gotten really good at "detaching" and not feeling anything. As I have mentioned before, I have had many suicide attempts, drug addiction, drinking too much and other things that kept my life in chaos.

Coming here, individuals and the group, has helped me know I am not alone. That others have fought- and won. I try and still apply some of what I learned in 12 step meetings. That alone we fall, together we are strong.

The WBTS takes your spirit, and drains you. I have finally realized, with help from here, I am a good person. And people do care. By seeing what others go thru it also helps me remember where I came from.

I believe in "paying it forward". Because I recieved so much love and support when I got here, I owe it to those "newbies" to be there for them. This is a journey that we can only finish together.

that's my 2 cents....

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I'm with CrazyBlonde... I have been out longer than I was in but I don't think I really started HEALING until these forums. I left before there WAS an internet... and man, I tell you, I was ALONE.

My Precious Chosen One has asked me many questions about the dubs through the years... and I just froze up... I was too agro and angry and walled-off to answer. I couldn't talk about it. Now that I am on the forums, it's pretty funny... he's getting sortof a kick out of asking me things and hearing the Dub Jargon (what he calls "JDubble-talk") and I have been able to come to grips with things I thought were long gone.

Well, maybe Mom was right... maybe I was demonized... it seems I am finally able to exorcise some of them now.

Thanks, everybody.

• sf
    sf
    I have never been offended by any remarks here, as they are nothing compared to what the WTS has done to me.

Agreed.

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit