Is there Racial harmony among the JWs?

by Amazing 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

When I joined the JWs, racial issues were not really discussed much, other than some mention in the material given to me during my Bible Study in the "Truth" book. Our Kingdom Hall had only one dark skinned individual, who is Portguese, and one of the Anointed. I believe that he is now deceased. I was raised in a "Southern" family, where my grandmother was extremely rascist in a genuine call to the old Confederacy. My dad was a twin of Archie Bunker, in that he was a bumbling racist who softened over time. My mother was progressive, and fought against racism, but she still had some limits. I grew up to respect all races as a Catholic, and only had to weed out certain stereotypes in my thinking over the last 50 + years.

In time, the truth came out about the hidden racism in the JWs in the 1960s upto the 1970s. One JW friend was engaged to a black JW women. She was uncertain about the relationship because she feared that his white family and her black family (all JWs) would not be able to get along. Quite telling for a supposedly non-racist religion. They eventually married, and I attended the wedding. The marriage did not last.

Later on, the Reg. Pioneer JW who studied with me went traveling around the country. He mentioned that black JWs in the South are discourage by the Society from marrying whites. This was done in order to further the preaching work by not upsetting the Southern Whites. Since when did upsetting people become a concern for the Watchtower Society? In the late 1960s and into the 1970s, racism was still very evident in the Southern United States ... but, it was by far not the majority view of white Southerners.

Oddly enough, when I traveled extensively to Houston, Texas in the 1980s, I encountered something else quite strange. I was there on business, but took opportunity on the weekeneds to be with the JWs. I was assigned to work with a black brother out in service one Saturday. I was given the territory card. He and I worked a couple of return visits first, then as we turned the corner to go into the territory, he stopped his car and would not proceed. I ask why, as this is our territory. He apologized and said that if he had known, he would have asked that I be given another territory. The reason: The Elders bar black JWs from working certain neighborhoods ... and this neighborhood was nearly all Jewish. He said that the Elders and the Co said that Jews in the area hate blacks, and they do not want to have a scene or an issue besmirch the reputation of the congregation. I was absolutely shell-shocked. Racism among JWs is alive and well ... and I could not believe what I was hearing ... but, I later checked this out with the PO on Sunday, and he confirmed it. I never again visited a JW congregation in Texas.

In our congregation, when I was still an MS, we had one black JW appointed an Elder. He was quicky removed for unbecoming conduct, whever that is. We did not have another black Elder until 20-years later, though we eventually had several blacks move into our congregation. We also had Mexicans and some Asians. None, besides whites, were ever appointed until the late 1980s, and then only to Ministerial Servant ... and he had to serve several years as a Reg. Pioneer before being recognized. Whereas white men, like me, who never Reg. Pioneered, were far more easily appointed. What is evident, is that among the JWs, black members do not make trouble over race when they are denied appointments year after year. INstead they quietly accept organizational arrangements. If one calls such a "calm" environment positive racial situation, then one could easily look back at the old South, where segregation was quietly accepted for generations, and say that was a good racial situation. The only way that blacks could get appointed as Elders is in congregations that were nearly 100% black.

When I gave talks in large city congregations in the San Francisco Bay Area, I often encountered congregations that were nearly 100% black. While I was treated respectably, and the Kingdom Hall was nice, there was a noticeable separation when it came time to socialize. For example, as I tried to open up discussion with some of the black Elders, I was quickly introduced to a local white person to visit with and be invited to lunch. I wanted to visit with the black brothers, so I could know them better ... but they were very smooth about avoiding such a thing with me.

Bethel comments that came back to us by visiting Bethelites would note how Nathan Knorr and other GB men, and officials of the Society, had some strange racists ideas about blacks, even joking about their bathroom habits. True, by the 21st Century, the JW Governing Body finally admitted a black JW into their club - Sam Herd. This is certainly a step in the right direction. But, it also shows that the Watchtower Society was not as progressive as the rest of society in general. I have no doubts that race issues have improved somewhat since I left the Watchtower organization ... but, the JWs are by no means a racial paradise.

Currently, I am on a university team with 2 whites, 1 Korean, and 2 blacks ... none of us are JWs. We all have become friends, and we have absolutely no racial issues. I feel every bit as good, if not better, with them as I would have with any black JW when I was still a Witness. I believe that racism, as an issue for JWs is largely media propaganda that the Society effectively used to make themselves appear righteous ... much as they use other propaganda to imply that they are clean of evil practices, when one only has to look a few inches beneath the surface to see shielded child molesters, and many unrighteous acts woven into their organizational fabric.

Whatever racial harmony the JWs have is no better, and sometimes less progressed, than what we can find in society at large.

Jim Whitney

• Moomin
    Moomin

I thought that the wt were wanting to separate themselves from the world and stand up for what is good and righteous, so why are they pandering to the likes of those with unpleasant attitudes?

They wouldn't worry about sending a man with a woman out on the fs in case it offended the gays, so it does appear that they must harbour the same views.

An elder in my congregation told me about how people need to change their worldly attitudes when they become a witness, he explained that there are some in the cong that are struggling with strong racist views. He thought it impressive and commended them for it. I believe he may have been one of them actually.

"He was a coloured brother" got mentioned a lot too. Some would always explain to them that you don't say that anymore but they continued anyway. Perhaps it was because they were being told by a sister :)

• mouthy
    mouthy

Is racism among JWs is alive and well ..?
    My JW daughter ( dont bother with me at all) is married to a black man, He attended a meeting one day when he was told that it really was not meant for black & white to marry.... Because it causes Havoc among the racisits ( of the world) I think he recognised right then they did not have the truth. The marriage is not a happy one I hear ---though he is a good man allows her to do all with the WT.Dont interfer. .When I read that the Watchtower wrote that Blacks were going to turn white.... I did send her a letter & told her not to be surprised if one day she woke up to a white man beside her...told her WT & Page. I NOW know that was not the thing to do, Wasnt a loving thing to do But at that time I was learning all the WT lies. & was angry I am sorry I did that. now----- So if anyone is lurking on here from Montreal & knows Annmarie please tell her

• Woofer
    Woofer

Whenever a mixed race couple who were JW's would marry a few would comment that they didn't think they should marry because it would be "unfair to raise mixed race children in this old system of things" because they would be teased at school. Well heck, we got teased all the time for being a dub and I am not of a mixed race. I think the people saying that were really racist and were covering it up by their "how unfair it would be to the kids" comments.

• M.J.
    M.J.

JWs are not racist in the same way politicians are not racist. They are really not much different from other folks aside from the fact that they simply care more about their public (organizational) image.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I know of a circuit overseer telling an engaged mixed couple that mixed marriages usually do not work. He really frowned on it. He further stated that you will not see successful mixed couples in the Gilead pictures in the WT. (Successful defined as ABLE TO STAY TOGETHER AND BECOME MISSIONARIES.)

The very month he said that, the wife tried to show him the current mag with Gilead picture, along with some older pictures. She said "If you take the time to match the husband and wife (arranged by height, not standing together in these pics), you will find many mixed couples."
    He was mad, and said they USUALLY don't work out well. That couple is going on 13 years, now.

I think racism is what the individuals make of it in the org. Many do better than those outside by being able to be friends, work together, preach together. Many do well as long as their son or daughter doesn't want to marry one. Some do well in all situations. Some do horrible mixing and just avoid the other races or give lip service to how they are brothers/sisters.

• Moomin
    Moomin

"unfair to raise mixed race children in this old system of things"

For all the potential things there are to get teased about and the fact that few of us escape it, I guess it would be unfair for anyone to have children.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I was raised in the South (United States), and being white I tended to absorb the dominant cultural attitudes even though I was raised in a Witness family. I felt and knew that overt racism was wrong. My parents were not racist. However, I do believe that I tended to look down on black people, something I am not proud of at all. Well, I got over it and now make the best effort to see each and every person as an individual human being with unique characteristics.

That said, I have heard extremely racist remarks from "worldly" white males on the job (at the time construction work) that shocked and dismayed me. I never heard such things "in the truth". That is not to say that such feelings aren't there; they just aren't expressed in mixed company.

Some years ago, again in the Deep South, a white pioneer brother married a black pioneer sister. Our family went to the wedding. The father of the groom didn't attend the wedding. I heard he went fishing instead. The father was an elder in the congregation at the time. I don't exactly know what has happened to him since. I met the married couple at an assembly a couple of years ago. They had been sent to Africa to be missionaries.

Frankly, I am surprised that the Society, which normally looks for ways to be different and spark persecution of its members, has tried to be so accomodating of the racial feelings in the congregations' territories.

Dave

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    When I read that the Watchtower wrote that Blacks were going to turn white....

What? Please tell me they didnt really say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was about 17, I met a black brother at an assembly. He was very strong in the "truth" and we started sitting together during the assemblies. When we started going to do things together, my dad put an end to it real quick, saying because of our ethnic backgrounds, it would never work! What ever!

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Jim:

After having read your article it provoked some thought in some key areas. Jim, is it
    possible that some of these were isolated incidences? Speaking from my own perspective
    I think that racial relations regarding African-Americans and Angelo-Americans were
    okay during my Jehovah's Witness days but far from perfect.

Does this mean I support the Watchtower Society? No, but there are a number of individuals
    who may have had more positive experiences regarding racial relations within the Watchtower
    Society. Admitedly, I am one of them.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit