Need advice - marriage in crisis

by truthseeker 71 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

truthseeker, I am in roughly the same position as you, albeit with more kids. My wife knows that I have lost all belief in the Society and the Witnesses. I do not go out in field service and I do not comment at meetings. We have had many discussions about the faith; some approaching the level of arguments, and some just fairly intense religious debates. I also agree that I don't want my kids to be poisoned with this filth for any longer than necessary. Already I encourage them towards independent and critical thinking--this is also the way their personality leads them, so it makes it easier.

I've struggled for a long time, trying to decide what to do. I still don't have the answer and I don't know if what I'm doing is going to work. My current approach is this:

• I attend all the meetings that my wife wants to, to support her with the children. It's tough taking three kids, one of whom is an infant, to the meeting all by yourself. She knows that I think it's all nonsense, though. Interestingly this actually increases her respect and esteem for me--she knows I hate going, but I go for her and the kids.
    • I work really really hard to be the husband she has always wanted. I do a lot of chores around the house, even though I also work full time and she doesn't work at all. She's having a difficult time keeping up (we have a baby with special needs that consumes more of her time than normal.) I spend a lot of time with her--watching TV, playing games, etc. I do everything (and more) expected of me as a father--read to the kids every night, put them to bed, change diapers, get up at night, the whole nine yards. I give her a 45 minute shoulder/back massage every night (and I'm really damned good at it.) I constantly tell her that she looks great, that she's never been more beautiful, that she's a good mom, that I love her. I am hoping that this will convince her that someone can be a really good person without believing in the Watchtower.
    • Every single chance I get, I bring up, in a non-confrontational manner, inconsistencies from the Watchtower. Things I read on this board. These are always in response to something she's said--I never initiate these conversations. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to talk about how the Society used to deny germ theory in the Golden Age and their quack medical theories. A few days ago, I likened denying blood transfusions to the hardcore Catholic practice of not using birth control and having many many children. Last month, we talked about how even though people are already doing so much, the Society is always asking for more more more--and she agreed. This way I can slowly help her to realize that they're not all that--but without having her feel like her faith is being assaulted. I only bring up things I know I can back up with proof, and I try to capitalize on things she cares deeply about--family, children, health.

This is kind of the anti-Witness analogue to 1Pet 3:1,2 (NWT):

1 In like manner, YOU wives, be in subjection to YOUR own husbands, in order that, if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won without a word through the conduct of [their] wives, 2 because of having been eyewitnesses of YOUR chaste conduct together with deep respect.

I don't know if it will work, but I can say that she almost never pesters me about my beliefs anymore, and that we are closer in our marriage than we've ever been. This is the slow way and it requires tons of hard work and a great deal of patience on my part (especially in putting up with all the crap I have to sit through at the goddamn meetings.)

The above ended up being much longer than I was expecting. I hope that it is of value to you.

• tan
    tan
    You'll also meet other couples who share the same interests as you and develop friendships with them. It isn't going to be like the "instant friendships" you have when you start out at a new Kingdom Hall - real friendships take time to develop and they need to be cultivated.

And you will meet others that share your same interest. The KH wants you to believe that only they have that kind of unity and its just not true. Most of my true friends have not been in the organization.

• dido
    dido

`

If i leave the religion, there is a good chance my wife will leave me and take our child`

This is what i can`t understand, just because you don`t want the religion anymore, why has she got the right to leave you? I had to suffer 25 years with an unbelieving husband, so i don`t see the why these partners of ones that want to get out of this false religion should be able to leave. Surely it`s the same rule for these ones? One piece of advise i can offer you, is let her see your example, and as long as you treat her well, she might stop and think about it. Sometimes it`s what`s not said has more power.

• mouthy
    mouthy

How about trying to get her to go to another church?

My opinion here is DONT DARE ASK THAT!!!!! I am sorry for what is going on in your life but that would be the clincher in your marriage it would be like asking her to go to the devil in HER mind... I have not read all the replys sorry if mine is mundan but I think if you continue to show her an abundance of love ,Stop passing any more info against her god... May be take her flowers as the WT suggest!!! do some of the things that are RIGHT in their eyes .So when she is talking with her JW friends & mentions this - they will tell her what a good man you are & she has to stay in the marriage to win you over by HER LOVE!!!! Love never fails in the end ( my 2 cents.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Underbeliever,

Great post, great advice. Just what I was looking for.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    This is what i can`t understand, just because you don`t want the religion anymore, why has she got the right to leave you? I had to suffer 25 years with an unbelieving husband, so i don`t see the why these partners of ones that want to get out of this false religion should be able to leave. Surely it`s the same rule for these ones? One piece of advise i can offer you, is let her see your example, and as long as you treat her well, she might stop and think about it. Sometimes it`s what`s not said has more power.

Here is where the Watchtower catachism takes over. In an article in the 11/1/88 Watchtower this stipulation was made;

Absoluteendangermentof spirituality also provides a basis for separation. The believer in a religiously divided home should do everything possible to take advantage of God’s spiritual provisions. But separation is allowable if an unbelieving mate’s opposition (perhaps including physical restraint) makes it genuinely impossible to pursue true worship and actually imperils the believer’s spirituality. Yet, what if a very unhealthy spiritual state exists where both mates are believers? The elders should render assistance, but especially should the baptized husband work diligently to remedy the situation. Of course, if a baptized marriage partner acts like an apostate and tries to prevent his mate from serving Jehovah, the elders should handle matters according to the Scriptures. If disfellowshipping takes place in a case involving absolute endangerment of spirituality, willful nonsupport, or extreme physical abuse, the faithful Christian who seeks a legal separation would not be going against Paul’s counsel about taking a believer to court.—1 Corinthians 6:1-8.

If a willing book salesman/or saleswoman for the org is being affected spiritually [ meaning little time is available now for book sales] the above kicks in - heaven forbid we just allow the Bible to be the guide you know. This was the first time I had ever seen this - though it may have been used previous - now I see this happen occasionally. This may be the basis she could use unfortunately, and would be upheld by the elders.

Jeff

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I didnt read all the replies honey but I SO understand your plight having been a JW and married a JW and then left the organization 10 years into the marriage. Yeah he freaked too...but I said to him if Jehovah knows HEARTS and Im sitting there not believing in what Im being told any more that makes me a hypocrite. And YOU would know it too. The bible says to TEST everything that you are told to see if it is scriptural. Well..you DID test it and the litmus test proved what the Society was teaching people wasnt the truth...how are you supposed to justify that in Gods eyes? If they have the truth then nothing on the planet including the internet and all the apostates combined can disprove what they say. Tell her if she can show you, PROVE to you that what you have found out about the Society is in fact false then you will go back.

The bible says to KEEP on KNOCKING, KEEP on SEEKING ...it doesnt say when an organization claiming to have exclusivity to God comes along to STOP seeking your spiritual path and become an unquestioning all accepting atomoton.

You married her and she married you UNCONDITIONALLY. Paul said that NO ONE can come between him and his God. So how does she figure you have left God or that God has left you because you are doing what he SAID to do? To TEST TEST TEST!

I am still married to the same JW after 19 years now, DAd in 97...and we have had bouts and rounds about the organization. But the reality is if she leaves you, she can never remarry because you arent going to give her grounds. So unless she wants to be alone..and you WILL get half custody of the kids....she better think about this. Long and hard.

You wont be able to just swallow what you know and feel to "keep the peace"...It will eat you alive.

hugs, Loves

• dido
    dido

AK - jeff I wasn`t allowed to leave my mate, and he was continually opposed and in the end i left as i couldn`t take anymore, after 25 years. I lasted 2 years on my own, and then had enough of the life and got d/f. When you split up, it is only a matter of time before either one will commits adultery (usually), as it`s only human to want to be loved. I agree with what Lovesdubs says, it`s not easy on your own.

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: "Any advice?"

Get to a pragmatic, solution oriented, marriage / family therapist.

If you find a counselor who wants to spend weeks on studying the problem and does not offer a solution, move on to the next counselor.

Quit thinking this is a religion problem. It's not. All marriage problems are marriage problems. Treat the marriage problem as "the" problem.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I dont agree with you garybuss. Most JWS breakups are Religous invovelment !!!! Especially JWS----I know many who were advised to leave their unbeliving mates.... including ME!!!!

I loved my husband but when I called the elders because he was abusing me. Instead of giving sound counselling they offered to help me move EVERYTHING from the house & leave him flat. Never mind that I loved him.. That was one set of elders the other congrgation suggested I stay with him because "Look Jehovah has allowed you to serve him by going door to door think of our dear brothers in jail or being persecuted in other countries because they are JWS"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit