The JW phrase I most despise is...

by exwitless 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

The phrase that bugs me the most is "you left Jehovah" in reference to becoming Inactiveâ„¢ or no longer attending meetings.

I always correct any JW that uses that expression. I ask them "Since when did the Watchtower Society become equal to Jehovah?"

• evita
    evita

Even after being out for over 20 years- I get nauseous when I hear the phrase "in the truth". I get confused when I hear someone use the expression "he gave a talk". Is this witness speak or does everyone else use this expression also? I recently accidentally used the word "behooved" in conversation with a friend. She was like WTF did you say? Oops!

• Scully
    Scully

Could someone explain what 'agape' love is please?

I looked it up and it said it was Christian love as distinct from erotic love or emotional affection.

I still don't understand. Its love but not an emotional affection? What kind of love is it then? I think I may feel offended if someone signed a card with agape love written in it. Were you offended Mamma?

The way the WTS explains it, agape love is based on "principle". For example, Jesus commanded that his disciples must love one another the way he loved them. He was ready to sacrifice his life for them, so should his disciples be ready to lay down their lives on behalf of other disciples. The WTS creates this broad definition that, just by virtue of being JWs, agape love for the brotherhood will compel JWs to love other JWs they may never have met (so it would be impossible to develop emotional affection for them).

It used to bug me to see that on a card too. It was like saying "I don't really like you, but I have to love you. Sort of."

• gymbob
    gymbob

I can't stand the way dubs use the term, "publications". "It's in one of the publications...."

Who has publications?.....I have BOOKS!

• exwitless
    exwitless

Carla - "Yeah, uh huh..." LOL!!! I forgot how that used to annoy me. It's exactly like you said. This is the response the WT conductor always gives when you make a comment that is actually inciteful and not just re-vomiting the WT words. Another thing our WT conductor ALWAYS said at the beginning of the WT study was "There's nothing difficult about the lesson, folks, so we should have full participation today." I mean he ALWAYS said that. He said it in a way to try to guilt people in to commenting. When we were down to the last question or 2, he would say "For those of you who haven't commented at all, this is your last chance." Who wants to raise their hand after he says that?

• Gill
    Gill

Spiritually weak ones!

Showing proper submission!!

The 'Stars' of the congregation!!!

What sort of persons aught YOU to be ????!!!!!

Pioneer service arrnagement!

Respect Jehovah's arrangements!

Let us do our utmost as the end draws near to be found faultless, brothers in the eyes of Jehovah!

Do you follow God given direction from the Organization that is taking the lead among you? Or are you rebellious and deserving of destruction along with your 'little ones' as God's fear inspiring day draws near?

Millions now living will never die!!

Put first the Kingdom!

So who's coming for hall cleaning on saturday morning?

• Moomin
    Moomin

Gotcha Scully, thanks :)

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    My most despised phrase is: Spiritual Food ...actually anything that was compared to food or baby food or mother's milk or well oiled crap with wine or dinner tables or banquets...but none of it had anything to do with real food or enjoying oneself it was all just a hideous metaphor that was so over done that I wanted to spiritually barf.

LMAO - this is f*ckin hilarious! Spiritually Barf, that's priceless..

Like the others, I HATE HATE HATE the way the words "the truth" and "worldly" are used.

INACTIVE is another really annoying word, especially with the disdain in their voices as they say it.

"Unbelieving"

ACK I can't think about it anymore - reading this whole thread just made my skin crawl. It's like bizarro-world alien language. Gross.

• TheKings
    TheKings

'the truth' - absolute worst one EVER

'worldly' - *shiver*

'kingdom hall' - instead of church. wtf is that about?

the list goes on and on...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Several truly hideous word/phrase abuse have been listed, but I have to agree with everyone who says "the Truth" is the most despicable. Once that becomes a natural part of your vocabulary, they own you, and can shovel a bountious-feast of well-oiled cow shit down your throat, and you will hate yourself for not liking it. Hell, most days, you'll like it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit