Is it possible for someone to "Love being a JW"?

by JH 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Some people need structure and the society provides that in one way by suggesting everybody making a schedule and sticking to it. Those who are successful at it, thrive and might think they love being a JW.

Then there are those whose lives spill out over the edges of a schedule (you can call it dysfunction or maybe they are just bohemian types at heart) and end up becoming unhappy. The bohemian types are unhappy because they don't have time to express themselves, maybe thru writing or art, or something like that.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Black Sheep, you wrote: "Well, it's a good lifestyle and we enjoy it!"Basically that's what my dad said. "It's still the best way to live, I couldn't of had a better life."

Heck, that's what the guy who goes to the gym every day says.

It pissed me off. He put me through hell in school and night meetings and every weekend service . . . used the rod on me. All that for absolutely nothing! Then he's gonna shun my ass cause I don't like what he did?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I will try to balance my opinion. There was a brief few years when I loved being a JW. I "knew" why life sucked for most people, but it did not have to be that way for me anymore, because God would make me totally happy soon if I could just hold on. While holding on, He gave me a purpose in life- to let others know that life doesn't have to continue to suck. Assemblies, CO visits- special attention, OH BOY. Some people like staying in that mindset- has nothing to do with intelligence, but it allows the mind to be at peace and not have to be stressed about drugs, politics, retirement, crime, etc.

Now, most of us started to realize that the JW's didn't satisfy all of our concerns, or we realized that assemblies were long & boring & repetitive, we discovered the magazines were making broad generalizations, the CO visit is focusing in on the same old problems, field service was not accomplishing much, etc.

While we find the first group strange, we can try to remember that many of us were there, but escaped.

• solo
    solo

well I don't think my parents loved being jws this morning when they had to drag themselves from their nice warm cosy pit to go out harassing people, they seemed even more p*ssed off when I pointed out that while they had been doing their door knocking I was lying in bed watching cookery programmes, eating toast, drinking tea and reading the papers.

I have never heard them or any other jw say they love it. Maybe some do but they must have a screw loose or something. I hated every minute of it and it was a huge relief when I left - freedom!

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

To many it's just a social club where they can meet and greet new ones, gossip and criticize anyone who doesn't tow the line, also get informed about what brothers do for a living in case they need to make use of their services for the much expected brotherly discount, and if they are structure freaks they will fit right in, they have a schedule to follow and enough rules to keep them busy for quite a while....If they are snobby then they will love it, because they feel like they know the "Truth" whereas everyone else is so fooled in their stupid little religions...the females usually look forward to occasions like assemblies and the Memorial when you can get new outfits to show off this always adds excitement to their dull lives.

A sad life really.

IC

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

If they don't feel or know that they have been wronged (or robbed), then why not? Some people love their bible god. I don't understand it. So they (the society) use more severe tactics than many other religions. If the individual does not yet feel wronged by the JWs, if they for some reason enjoy banging on doors because they think it is what God wants, who am I to try and point out that it is not "love" for Jehovah, which to them is the equivalent of being a Jehovah's Witness. I'm rambling, but I say sure. You would have to define "love". Love means different things to different people.

I don't like running (you know, for like, exercise). Some people love it. It makes them feel wonderful, or something.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think some people are naturally happy, don't take religion to heart so much that it makes them nuts, and so therefore can equate their happiness to their religion-since they are told that that is the reason they are happy. Some people just manage their lives(in general)well-JW or not. Some people let the religion 'get' to them, and they are not going to be so happy. (Just my theory)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Yeah, I figured out how to edit!!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

At one time - I truly loved being a JW

• Velta
    Velta

My parents became JWs when I was about 7 years old. That was in 1938. My childhood was very difficult because i was going to school during WWII and was treqated badly by both the teachers and other kids because I would not salute the flag or stand for the national anthem. However, I believed that I was being persecuted for my beliefs so I was not emotionally harmed. I always loved God and was baptized when I was 10 because I wanted to serve Jehovah God and Christ Jesus. My (servant/elder)father was emotionally abusive and as soon as I graduated from High School, I left home. I am not sure I "loved being a JW" all the time, but I had moments when I enjoyued the things that I did as a JW. I loved the fellowship at the KH, assemblies, conventions and I loved travelling to them. It was the only vacation that we ever had. I thought I was happy, but looking back, I can see why I drank too much, to the point of being a closet alcohnolic. I hated going from door-to-door, becoming ill each time I forced myself to go. When you are in a place, you make the best of it and attitude is what gets you through. You are happier if you don't complain. Did I love being a JW? I thought I did, but I am so much happier now that I am free to worship God the way I feel He wants me to and to do the things that I feel are right, not dictated to me by others.

Velta

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit