Disfellowshipping for Gluttony?

by Smoky 41 Replies latest social family

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

I was at the district assembly in the UK (Sunday, Twickenham London) this year and the bloke on the platform said you could be DF for gluttony. He specifically mentioned overwieght people. My brother had to nudge me as I was audibly muttering how much of a pile of shite that is. Reasons:

1) How many overweight elders are there? - 30% at least

2) How many overweight witnesses are there? - a lot

3) How many of these are due to gluttony?- Not many

4) How cruel would it be to DF anyone for being overweight? - too cruel for words.

I cannot understand what the society have to gain by such a standpoint. I got really angry at that one. More so than usual.

• Smoky
    Smoky

Wow, I went to this year's District Assembly, and i dont remember that!

I guess it because there are less overweight people in Europe, the FATASS american JW's would have an fit.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I noticed on this board a great deal of posts mentioning depression, mental illness and physical malitys such as stomach conditions. It seems to me that some of the jws with problems may have a fear of medical treatment due to the wts, so they self medicate some with street drugs, and some by over indulgence in food or spirits.

What needs to be addressed is the problem not the symptom (fat and drunk jws). But the problem will never be addressed by the jws as a religion, because the wts would have to own up to their wrong end time predictions and their rigerious rules imposed on the r&f.

Granted some are and remain jws because of mental defects or lack of education (why has god delayed the big a so long) which causes the where will I go mind set and thus becomes a vicious cycle so they stay and remain with the symptom being over indulgers.

Most of all these fat and drunk jws are not moderate of habit, no self control.

So I vote df all the fat and drunk jws.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I've often wondered the same thing.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I would much rather hang with someone who is drinking too much ( and who is maybe even a drunk) rather than someone who is eating too much (and might be a glutton ). The conversation would be much livlier with joking all around. With the eaters, people are too busy stuffing their pie-hole to do more than nod in agreement to any conversational topics.

So, my vote is YES . . . .disfellowship the pig; make him/her look at themselves in the mirror for at lease 2 hours a day or until they come to realize that they probably eat enough for at lease two people.

Think of all the food that could go to a food bank to feed the poor.

• anewme
    anewme

Habitual gluttony is greediness and a Christian can be put on restrictions because of it.

The elders will discuss the matter with the witness and ask what are the reasons for the behavior and warn them to stop.
    Little do the elders know that eating disorders often stem from a feeling of hopelessness and helplessness and powerlessness. People stuff their faces to silence their crying hearts. I learned that from the eatingdisordersforum.com website.

Once while visiting a witness outside my own territory I was told the lady next door (very fat)was also a witness and was put on restrictions and not allowed into field service due to her great weight and uncontrolled eating that was observed by others. Her small house was also quarantined for lice.
    Sounds like she was suffering from poverty among other things.
    I felt bad for her.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

My doctor told me "he's never seen a fat concentration victim"

Can anyone say legalistic religon.

I wonder If I can smoke if I do a Bill Clinton and don't inhale?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    The Kingdom Halls would nearly be empty if you DisfellowShipped every fat ass in there.....

True. Beyond the overweight folks, there is one very obese sister who is still on the pioneer ranks. The whole family pioneers. Her brother is an elder so nothing will be said about it...

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    I think the waistlines of quite a few Elders is a main reason this subject isn't touched

Ok.... but my wife is not overweight at all..

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I would much rather hang with someone who is drinking too much ( and who is maybe even a drunk) rather than someone who is eating too much (and might be a glutton ). The conversation would be much livlier with joking all around. With the eaters, people are too busy stuffing their pie-hole to do more than nod in agreement to any conversational topics.

So, my vote is YES . . . .disfellowship the pig; make him/her look at themselves in the mirror for at lease 2 hours a day or until they come to realize that they probably eat enough for at lease two people.

Think of all the food that could go to a food bank to feed the poor.

If this is an example of your conversation then I can see why it would become "lively". But seriously, I doubt you'd have the balls to speak this way to someone's face. The internet is nice and safe, isn't it? W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit