Disfellowshipping for Gluttony?

by Smoky 41 Replies latest social family

• Smoky
    Smoky

Is that possible?..have there been any cases like this?

My family have been on my case about me hanging around with people (non-jw family) that like to drink alot. They went as far as to call me "a drunk"...now I do admit that i have been gotten drunk before on occasion, but I am NOT a drunk or an alcoholic.

So, I told my mother (obese) that if i were "a drunk" for getting drunk from time to time (not every day), then can she be considered "a Glutton", for eating to much, obese, having health problems, all because of the way she eats? Isn't it the same thing? Why aren't they disfellowshipping for that?.......I stumped her.

So, am i using the right logic/analogy on this matter?

Is there a better way to reason? or am I TOTALLY WRONG?

smoky

• sir82
    sir82

My take is that "gluttony" is rather hard to define, in our age & time. Even a morbidly obese person may have some sort of glandular disorder, and is not really a "glutton". You'd need 2 witnesses to an "act of gluttony", and how do you determine what is "gluttony" vs. just "eating a little more than one should"?

I suspect that when Paul wrote to "not mix in company...with a glutton", he had in mind the Roman practice of pigging out to the point of nausea, then vomiting it all out, then starting up again. Not a common practice today.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I never heard of the JWs dFing anyone for gluttony which really means eating a really excessive amount of food. They are also quite tolerent of JWs that drink occasionally even a little too much as long as they don't make fools of themselves.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Hey there Smoky,

Technically, yes one can be disfellowshipped for Gluttony. The word went around the congregation one time that I was going to be disfellowshipped for it when the elder in question could get two other brothers to agree to it (i was overweight due to a rare medical problem). Fortunately for me, he couldn't. I've never heard about anybody actually being Df'd for gluttony, but as I wrote, it can be done, though I'd imagine it would likely happen in a case like mine where a powerful elder simply wanted to get rid of a problem brother or sister and that was the only thing they could come up with.

Forscher

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I suspect that when Paul wrote to "not mix in company...with a glutton", he had in mind the Roman practice of pigging out to the point of nausea, then vomiting it all out, then starting up again. Not a common practice today.

I've always wondered how a person could still have an appetite after vomiting. It must be an acquired taste.

W

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I always thought it should be a disfellowshipping offence for the same reason as smoking is (which ISN'T specified in the Bible).

Not a lot in it for the elders of the JC though, is there? - "How good was it? Was it a MULTIPACK? Were you having impure thoughts while indulging yourself with that Cadbury's Flake, Sister (Brits will remember the advert)........

• blondie
    blondie

First, define "gluttony."

Is every overweight person a glutton, and is every glutton overweight?

Blondie

• Smoky
    Smoky

1. Gluttony - is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. - deadlysins.com

2. Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
    glut-ton-y [gluht-n-ee]
    –noun
    excessive eating and drinking.

I am not saying that all people who are obese is the direct result of Gluttony, but we have to admit a great percent of those obese are because of the inabilty to control what and how much we eat.

I for one am one of them.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Technically you can be, but I've never heard of anyone being accused of that, let alone being df'd for it. It would take some proving, I would think.

• Smoky
    Smoky

Well, all i am saying is if you can disfellowship for drunkeness, proven by your actions caused by the affects of alcohol

Why can you disfellowship for gluttony (eating excessively), proven by the adverse affects like Obesity, medical problems (HBP & Cholestorol), and other physical ailments?

And another thing, Can unhealthy eating be thrown in with the argument for 'disfellowshipping for smoking'?

smoky

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit